Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4

C.T.

10 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

I have sent a few log files and these seem to take a long time to send, like +30 minutes.  I have never gotten any useful feedback from doing so btw.

The feedback you get by new tracking updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, A-Jey said:

Re-echoing this! 

It'll also help speed up the process if you write "rd_log_request" in the description to help funnel the data directly to that team to leverage in improving the tracking.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, A-Jey said:

How’s  this beta update working for ya?  I’m actually starting to think that Vive does nothing with our log files.  Nor do they seem to test updates much in-house before they release them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomCgcmfc said:

How’s  this beta update working for ya?  I’m actually starting to think that Vive does nothing with our log files.  Nor do they seem to test updates much in-house before they release them.

I don't have enough chips for all this salt 😛

Edited by hamez88
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:38 PM, TomCgcmfc said:

It's the first beta update which has been a step backward, all others before have been one or more steps forward.
And you know that a beta version can also mean to test things out which for sure can result in a worse result on our home conditions.
This also can help to find the reasons for bad tracking on special conditions.

If you don't like that please just opt out of beta and wait for the next public release.

Edited by A-Jey

1 hour ago, A-Jey said:

It's the first beta update which has been a step backward, all others before have been one or more steps forward.
And you know that a beta version can also mean to test things out which for sure can result in a worse result on our home conditions.

If you don't like that please just opt out of beta and wait for the next public release.

Wish there was an option to just opt out of Cosmos. Never spent this type of money to be a beta tester for a product. Tracking just doesn't work. Have sent through a ton of logs. It's the tracking hardware more than the firmware. It is only possible for them to do so much. Any game or app requiring you to put on controller in front of the other, above shoulder, down to waist or slightly behind head just doesn't work. Purchased The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners and have had nothing but tracking issues. both on Beta and official firmware. 

Just give me an OPT of of Cosmos button where Vive takes it back and give me my money back. Should have gone the Pro or Index.

Edited by Cossack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beta_Tester said:

Unfortunately it is never going to be perfect - although it will get better. Inside-out tracking is always going inferior to lighthouse-based tracking - whether optical (like the Cosmos) or IR (like the Quest or Rift S). There is simply no way to get round. The only inside-out tracking that can come close to the lighthouse setup is something like the ultrasonic tracking in the Focus Plus (which works very well with occultation situations).

I've used the Rift S multiple times and i can tell you the tracking is much better than the Cosmos in it's current state. If only the Index was available in Australia would have never even thought of going the Cosmos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A-Jey said:

Ya, I do realise that mate.  Unfortunately I think the best firmware update so far was beta 1.0.9.2 and you are unable to roll back to that one since it's a beta.

As I think I mentioned earlier I have now packed up my Cosmos (and wireless for now) and I'll continue to use my Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers plus my Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  This dual VR headset setup is working very well and thanks to the Vive Link box on/off switch and the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) it is very easy to switch between each headset.

I'll look at taking my Cosmos out of its box once either inside-out tracking is nailed down and/or maybe when a Cosmos SteamVR faceplate is made available (and properly tested out of course).

• Like 1