Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4

C.T.

In my country, everything is expensive. Especially technologic products. In a multiplication, Euro equals 6,5 times to my country's money currency. So, HTC has officialy announced Vive COSMOS and I bought it. But at what cost? A tracking system they can't fix at 3 months. Also it is so expensive but why do I think it is waste of money? Because I think it is not capable the other VR products. (Tracking, communication) But I still have hope. Patiently I will wait the day HTC fixing the all issues of the Cosmos. Please HTC Team, do a surprise!

Edited by MetalistBat

1 hour ago, hamez88 said:

Here in Australia we consider the Index to be folklore, at the very least a fable

I'm in Aus, If you purchased all the stuff needed direct from HTC Aus store. 
This is in AUD
$300 for Tracking MOD ($200usd Quoted price)
$658 for 2x 2.0 Base Stations
$620 for 2x Vive Pro Controllers

$1578AUD to upgrade from the HTC Aus store.

Compared to the Vive Cosmos being $1149 directly from HTC Aus.  

Total: $2727AUD

Cheers

Although a few people have imported the Index and it works out around $1950AUD right now

Edited by HoZy

@HoZy I'm also an Aussie.  If you can afford it you may be better off buying the Vive Pro Starter kit ($1299 aud right now).  This includes 1.0 Base Stations/controllers but these should work fine unless you want a very big play area.  This will also be compatible with an Index headset if you want to look at getting one later.  I have no desire to do so btw.  I have both a Cosmos and Vive Pro and while I love the Cosmos flip-up screen and new Vive VR system (Lens/Origin) My Vive Pro is by far a better headset and with base stations the tracking is perfect. 

The sad thing for me is that I paid $1299 aud for my pre-ordered Cosmos and now the Vive Pro Starter kit is the same price, lol! 

https://www.vive.com/au/product/vive-pro-starter-kit/

20 hours ago, HoZy said:

I'm in Aus, If you purchased all the stuff needed direct from HTC Aus store. 
This is in AUD
$300 for Tracking MOD ($200usd Quoted price)
$658 for 2x 2.0 Base Stations
$620 for 2x Vive Pro Controllers

$1578AUD to upgrade from the HTC Aus store.

Compared to the Vive Cosmos being $1149 directly from HTC Aus.  

Total: $2727AUD

Cheers

Although a few people have imported the Index and it works out around $1950AUD right now

Unless if you were going beyond a 15m2  play area you would would not be buying 2.0 base stations, you would also not get the vive pro controllers either, the $110 price increase is not worth the changes in any way. you would spend only 1100 on the upgrades 200 for each box and each controller. There is no way you can get the index shipped here under $2000 all up, no matter what method you do. They only way would be traveling to a country that sells it, buying it and returning on the plane with it if you want it under 2000. Even then you basically loose the warranty as we live in a country that valve does not sell it to so god forbid it get damaged or is DOA.

Either way if you were to get a static HMD that you can only use in one spot you would go for something that has light houses that you mount to were ever like a vive, pro index. Though the cosmos's strong selling point is the flexibility of being a HMD that will do both inside out and lighthouse tracking and be used in situations were you can use the inside out for that sitting game in a study and the lighthouse tracking for your more moving, precised action games. Not to mention the wireless (although i have never tried it wireless, it seems to be solid) Even though its not at a point were it can do the moving precised shooting sort of games with the inside out, its still a headset that has a wide range of application use.

1 hour ago, hamez88 said:

Unless if you were going beyond a 15m2  play area you would would not be buying 2.0 base stations, you would also not get the vive pro controllers either, the $110 price increase is not worth the changes in any way. you would spend only 1100 on the upgrades 200 for each box and each controller. There is no way you can get the index shipped here under $2000 all up, no matter what method you do. They only way would be traveling to a country that sells it, buying it and returning on the plane with it if you want it under 2000. Even then you basically loose the warranty as we live in a country that valve does not sell it to so god forbid it get damaged or is DOA.

Either way if you were to get a static HMD that you can only use in one spot you would go for something that has light houses that you mount to were ever like a vive, pro index. Though the cosmos's strong selling point is the flexibility of being a HMD that will do both inside out and lighthouse tracking and be used in situations were you can use the inside out for that sitting game in a study and the lighthouse tracking for your more moving, precised action games. Not to mention the wireless (although i have never tried it wireless, it seems to be solid) Even though its not at a point were it can do the moving precised shooting sort of games with the inside out, its still a headset that has a wide range of application use.

The tracking mod upgrade literally says 2.0 base stations & controllers are required.(Noticed it now only says SteamVR compatible)

And considering there is another forum almost dedicated to talking about importing the index yes, yes you can. 

Also I already have the cosmos on wireless, You don't need to sell me on something I already own mate. 

Cheers

Edited by HoZy

2 hours ago, HoZy said:

The tracking mod upgrade literally says 2.0 base stations & controllers are required.(Noticed it now only says SteamVR compatible)

And considering there is another forum almost dedicated to talking about importing the index yes, yes you can. 

Also I already have the cosmos on wireless, You don't need to sell me on something I already own mate. 

Cheers

Not selling you on anything, I'm giving you a description of the audience that this particular HMD (vive cosmos) is directed to compared to your example of a alternative HMD (Valve index) that is directed a different Vr audience.

If you are talking about the official website for the external tracking faceplate , it doesn't say steam vr compatible base stations or 2.0 are required it says the " *SteamVR™ compatible base stations and controllers sold separately. " because they are pictured in the advertisement with the advertisement. Its typical advertising strategies (also the original base stations are steam vr compatible)

As far as i know, no official word of pricing, just speculations from scattered news sites.

Yes i know the reddit forum for the Australian importer of the valve index, and its $2000+ once you add all the little extras such as freight, tax of the current country you buy it from, tax for importing it, customs clearance fees, and broker fees , the service you use to redirect the parcel, and exchange rate cost. its over 2k Its basically the first thing that pops up on google if you search for import valve index to australia, it is cheaper then getting the 1.0 base stations and controllers, but defeats the purpose of having a modular HMD.

😰 bonjour à tous moi si j'ai acheté le htc vive cosmos 799 euro parce qu'il n'y a pas de base et maintenant il von bientôt nous dire acheter les bases tout ça combien va coûter cher

c est abusé en + il y a rien ===Beaucoup trop simple  dans le home du cosmos mème pas en public en + pour tenir le fusil a deux mains et nul 

s il vous plait quand a les vous faire une vrai mise a jour pour tenir le fusil a deux mains

i have played a lot these last days, a lot of different games, still disapointed. Left side waist height tracking all over the place. This evening i tried to play the battlewake just for the fun of it, and after 2 minutes i could NOT reach the wheel anymore while i was still standing

inside the red floor circle. It still looks like not all the camera's work together or are used all of the time. I admit you made some progress but after 4 months i had expected more.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tonton said:

😰 bonjour à tous moi si j'ai acheté le htc vive cosmos 799 euro parce qu'il n'y a pas de base et maintenant il von bientôt nous dire acheter les bases tout ça combien va coûter cher

c est abusé en + il y a rien ===Beaucoup trop simple  dans le home du cosmos mème pas en public en + pour tenir le fusil a deux mains et nul 

s il vous plait quand a les vous faire une vrai mise a jour pour tenir le fusil a deux mains

You are not forced to buy faceplate mod or basestations, its optional.

Also that is the whole point of HTC updating the vive cosmos constantly so you can use rifles in game without the tracking dropping. I wouldnt really say its a meme in the public eye though,

Edited by hamez88
  • Thanks 1

Just to give a feedback,  using this release I received some alerts about too high environmental light for good tracking I didn't received in the same situation before.

Difficult to be objective since I'm testing it in and out from VR continuously for business purpose and not for gaming, but this is the feeling.

• Like 1