Jump to content

Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4


C.T.
 Share

Recommended Posts

@TomCgcmfc I'm in a slightly different boat to you in which I sent my Cosmos back and got a refund. BUT, I only did so as an insurance policy and fully intended to re-buy it IF the issues were sorted out. I've been monitoring this forum each week and now, like you, I don't think they can fix this thing without going Outside-In.

If this is the case, how much trust will HTC lose? I see a lot of 'sugar coated' comments on here from HTC, but now I honestly think they've built a dud. How much longer can they string along the people who trusted them to deliver a functional product without spending a shed load more cash?

This will go down as the biggest and most expensive VR failure to date if it's not sorted soon. And it may be too late even then to salvage any degree of respect from consumers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While i have no issues with Chinese Decorations I would much more enjoy having the Tracking work. The tracking on the Cosmos compared to any other VR unit i use is woefully bad. I know people are saying the firmware will eventually fix it but i cant see how firmware will fix a hardware issue. 

I don't need decorations. I need my Cosmos to work. Before all the fan boys jump up and down go try a Rift or a Pro, the tracking is amazing. You will cry when you go back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Dickytwo I never said that the upcoming Cosmos SteamVR faceplate module is going to be the only way to get proper tracking.  I’m still hopeful Vive will eventually sort out inside-out tracking.  If a SteamVR faceplate is the only answer I would now have a hard time deciding whether or not to buy one, even though I already have 2.0 base stations/controllers.  Except for the flip up screen I don’t imagine it being any better than my Vive Pro.  I guess I might give it a go if the faceplate was offered to me at a heavily discounted price, I’m soooo weak, lol!

Anyway, back to my Cosmos re-boxing.  Again, to all the brave souls that intend to persevere with the Cosmos development, I sincerely salute you all and thank you for your service.  Cheers and bye for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Cossack said:

While i have no issues with Chinese Decorations I would much more enjoy having the Tracking work. The tracking on the Cosmos compared to any other VR unit i use is woefully bad. I know people are saying the firmware will eventually fix it but i cant see how firmware will fix a hardware issue. 

I don't need decorations. I need my Cosmos to work. Before all the fan boys jump up and down go try a Rift or a Pro, the tracking is amazing. You will cry when you go back.

C'mon, we both know the graphics guys are not the tracking developement guys so the one got nothing to do with the others.
You can't seriously demand HTC do do nothing else on the software until tracking works completely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, A-Jey said:

Interestingly in my case (I just tried virtual rifling in Steam VR Home by holding the controllers in rifle mode and then moving around) always the farer controller lost tracking...

@Retsu: which hand you hold closer to your face? Mine is the right hand.

I have the same problem with farer controller 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, A-Jey said:

C'mon, we both know the graphics guys are not the tracking developement guys so the one got nothing to do with the others.
You can't seriously demand HTC do do nothing else on the software until tracking works completely.

I'd prefer nothing done on the software if they put all their efforts into fixing tracking. I don't need some stupid decorations or any other garbage added. I just want the Cosmos to work as it should have and not how it does currently. I kick myself daily for not returning the unit when i could. The tracking is broken it's that simple. Everything else is great. Vive know they screwed up and are now trying to drag us along until they release the face plate. I hate that i will need to spend the same price as the original unit to fix the original unit. I have my Cosmos sitting next to me and every time i think of using it i remember that the tracking breaks on the majority of games i play. It's currently a very expensive paper weight. Basically the Cosmos will become the new Pro if people are prepared to double down on the money they have already spent.

I hope the Dev's prove me wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Cossack said:

I'd prefer nothing done on the software if they put all their efforts into fixing tracking. I don't need some stupid decorations or any other garbage added. I just want the Cosmos to work as it should have and not how it does currently. I kick myself daily for not returning the unit when i could. The tracking is broken it's that simple. Everything else is great. Vive know they screwed up and are now trying to drag us along until they release the face plate. I hate that i will need to spend the same price as the original unit to fix the original unit. I have my Cosmos sitting next to me and every time i think of using it i remember that the tracking breaks on the majority of games i play. It's currently a very expensive paper weight. Basically the Cosmos will become the new Pro if people are prepared to double down on the money they have already spent.

I hope the Dev's prove me wrong. 

I totally get you and I'd prefer either but it makes no sense to let a musician do the painters work and vice versa.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, llealloo said:

Looks like a good beta release to skip....

Fine except if you are already on the beta option you can not go back to the previous beta version, only to the current Public release, which was prior to the previous beta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • C.T. unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...