C.T.

Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4

HTC will stop VR...HTC is like Nokia...who remembers Nokia?!...Future of the VR is Oculus, we all know this...

Happy whith my Cosmos, but my next headset will be an oculus one, maybe successor of RiftS

Edited by oxygen4004

1 hour ago, oxygen4004 said:

HTC will stop VR...HTC is like Nokia...who remembers Nokia?!...Future of the VR is Oculus, we all know this...

Happy whith my Cosmos, but my next headset will be an oculus one, maybe successor of RiftS

Ok, I gotta say that this is not very helpful, lol!

• Thanks 1

Yes but it is the truth...

To be helpfull I would say that today, despite bad tracking, Cosmos is a good headset...

But, users we are, we cannot do devlpers job...so if bad tracking is due to hardware, no update can fix it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxygen4004 said:

To be helpfull I would say that today, despite bad tracking, Cosmos is a good headset...

But, users we are, we cannot do devlpers job...so if bad tracking is due to hardware, no update can fix it

17 hours ago, Shipmate said:

I have just played my new Beats Sabre game for 25 minutes and the tracking for the game was perfect. I installed the newest Beta Software/firmware.

it can play very well. very enjoyable. I don't know if a powerful PC makes any difference. 

Can you describe your room conditions?
Is it very even lightning ore more mixed up with dark and bright sources?
Do you have a plain white wallpaper or does it have a contrastful pattern?

Atm I got the idea that darker areas force the headset to overexpose the brighter areas which results in tracking loss / bad tracking.
I wonder if it could help to let each cam do an exposure for itself.

I personally got exactly that problem.
My living room is large and I'm standing near of a larger window area and the view to the other end of the room is less bright.
As soon as it gets a bit darker after sunset with more even light the problems disappear.

So it seems to me they did an exposure change witch this latest beta update:
working even better on darker even light conditions for the cost of overexposure on uneven lighning.

Maybe I'm completely wrong with my thoughts.

6 hours ago, oxygen4004 said:

Let's say:
the Cosmos is a good headset, but not usable for rifle and bow&arrow mode at the moment.

Everything else is a shot into the blue (including the Nokia comparison).

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:37 PM, stvnxu said:

Re-echoing this! 

It'll also help speed up the process if you write "rd_log_request" in the description to help funnel the data directly to that team to leverage in improving the tracking.

@stvnxu @C.T. @VibrantNebula

It would be very helpful if you add this info to the first post of every new beta and public version thread 😉

I finally decided to try out this beta myself.

The tracking was absolutely terrible. My hands were flying all over the place as I rotated my wrists, wobbling and only near where my hands were about 70% of the time. If Lighthouse provides 99% tracking accuracy, Rift S and WMR around 95% (within volume), Cosmos is 70% at best in this version. I'd say 1.0.9.6 was around 80% to 85%.

I did clear tracking data and redid room setup, as I do with every update.

This is the first time an update objectively is worse, which makes me wonder... is this just a little bug in this beta, or are we running out of ideas? I sure hope the former.

Edited by Phr00t

On 1/31/2020 at 9:44 AM, A-Jey said:

Let's say:
the Cosmos is a good headset, but not usable for rifle and bow&arrow mode at the moment.

Everything else is a shot into the blue (including the Nokia comparison).

It's not a good headset, it's a terrible headset. It fails to perform the primary function it was designed to do, it's not usable for anything. It will track you properly for 10 min then decide to have a seizure.

Room is too bright: "Oooops sorry we can't track you."

Room is too dark: "Oooops sorry we can't track you."

Room is just right: "Ooops sorry we can't track you."

Also there is so much lag compared to other headsets when it comes to tracking.

Cosmos is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to VR HMDs, the Quest is better than this, because at least with the quest you can play games and it tracks you properly.

I think HTC shot themselves in the foot when they put those sub par cameras in the device for tracking. This is why you see ebay full of these HMDs.

Mine is collecting dust right now because it is utterly useless for VR game play.

I can guarantee you that it will be in the trash come summer because there is nothing outside of using base station tracking that will fix the horrid design HTC decided upon when going with optical tracking. 

And if I'm going to use base station tracking, I will be buying an Index, waiting on that to come back into stock. 

Edited by Glaucoma Predator
  • Like 1