joellipenta

Game glitch or something more serious?

1 minute ago, Beta_Tester said:

Hi @stvnxu - been testing with the USB 3.0 cable and I think it is better. I've had less grey screens than before, but I'm definitely still getting them unfortunately.

Mark.

I think the aiming the issue towards the USB cable is leading the devs down the wrong path and this post isn't about grey screens its about getting thrown out the games in question. You can replicate a grey screen by covering the prongs (for a better word!) on the wireless with your hands so grey screens happen when the wireless and the receiver cant see each other.

The issue is tracking and the games with the issue misinterpreting the data the wireless is sending (IMO).  

Just now, Sago36 said:

I think the aiming the issue towards the USB cable is leading the devs down the wrong path and this post isn't about grey screens its about getting thrown out the games in question. You can replicate a grey screen by covering the prongs (for a better word!) on the wireless with your hands so grey screens happen when the wireless and the receiver cant see each other.

The issue is tracking and the games with the issue misinterpreting the data the wireless is sending (IMO).  

@stvnxu has previously said that grey screens can be a sign of tracking issues.

My wireless signal is really good (checked the logs). I never got grey screens with my Vive std & wireless.

I think the thought was that the std cable couldn't provide sufficient power in the requested time when the headset increased it's power requirements.

Have you tried replicating a grey screen by covering the wireless prongs?

11 hours ago, Sago36 said:

Have you tried replicating a grey screen by covering the wireless prongs?

I tried this and reproduced the issue immediately. However, this is just the grey screen. The issue with the "falling" or "glitching" is still an issue. I just had this happen in Gorn for the first time. Wasn't even near a wall. Was fighting some baddies and just appeared in nothingness with the sound of falling. This is starting ti get really frustrating. I'm looking forward to the external tracking faceplate (even though I only own a single basestation and no Vive wands since this is my first VR headset). I really hope these issues get resolved because I really would prefer the wireless freedom and ability to take this setup anywhere that the Cosmos provides.

Yeh as I said earlier, the falling through the game is a separate issue to the grey screen. I can live with an occasional grey screen as the game is still playable , the falling into narnia issue ruins vr for me.... 

42 minutes ago, Sago36 said:

Yeh as I said earlier, the falling through the game is a separate issue to the grey screen. I can live with an occasional grey screen as the game is still playable , the falling into narnia issue ruins vr for me.... 

I think there are 3 different situations here:-

1) Grey screen due to wireless transmission issues. Never had this on Vive, so should be relatively easy to fix. Definitely seems to be when the computer is under load (which would normally result in pixelation).

2) Tracking issues resulting in falling events, or getting stuck in areas you shouldn't be.

3) Tracking issues coupled with a grey screen (again, it could be that a CPU issue causes the headset to be unable to report where it is in a timely fashion causing the falling event etc).

Edited by Beta_Tester
  • Like 1

So it has been a while since I came back to this but I have been doing a lot of testing lately and this glitching definitely is tracking related, not so much the wireless. I can barely play games like Boneworks without it crashing. Other games where you get close to geometry have these issues as well. It's incredibly frustrating to be in the middle of a level in Boneworks and I get too close to a wall and all that time is lost. I will be (begrudgingly) getting the external tracking plate (as well as base stations AND new controllers since this is my first VR) set so I'll be putting well over $1300 at this point for the Cosmos, wireless, external tracking, controllers, etc. This is pretty ridiculous and at this point, I'm pretty mad at myself for keeping this headset when I could've gotten a Vive or Vive Pro (or even an Index) and spent less money and spent more time playing. 

I appreciate the improvements made with the tracking via the beta program, but I fear that certain games will just never work properly with the Cosmos as it was sold to me. I have to say, I'm a bit dejected. I don't feel it's right to have to spend hundreds of more dollars to get a stable experience. Looks like I don't have too much of a choice.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:21 AM, joellipenta said:

So it has been a while since I came back to this but I have been doing a lot of testing lately and this glitching definitely is tracking related, not so much the wireless. I can barely play games like Boneworks without it crashing. Other games where you get close to geometry have these issues as well. It's incredibly frustrating to be in the middle of a level in Boneworks and I get too close to a wall and all that time is lost. I will be (begrudgingly) getting the external tracking plate (as well as base stations AND new controllers since this is my first VR) set so I'll be putting well over $1300 at this point for the Cosmos, wireless, external tracking, controllers, etc. This is pretty ridiculous and at this point, I'm pretty mad at myself for keeping this headset when I could've gotten a Vive or Vive Pro (or even an Index) and spent less money and spent more time playing. 

I appreciate the improvements made with the tracking via the beta program, but I fear that certain games will just never work properly with the Cosmos as it was sold to me. I have to say, I'm a bit dejected. I don't feel it's right to have to spend hundreds of more dollars to get a stable experience. Looks like I don't have too much of a choice.

@joellipenta We have a fix in the beta line for Vive Console. Could you opt into the beta and confirm it's working for you? Thanks!

Beta release 1.0.11.2

image.png.2ff1f3fa42fdc3d6a9c8e38ea486293d.png

• Like 2

I have the new beta and can confirm it's the most stable build yet, but have not tested with Boneworks yet (HL:A has taken all of my time). I'm going to do some testing tomorrow and I'll report back. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joellipenta said:

I have the new beta and can confirm it's the most stable build yet, but have not tested with Boneworks yet (HL:A has taken all of my time). I'm going to do some testing tomorrow and I'll report back. Thanks!

Ok thanks. Let us know if you continue to see the issue or if it's resolved on your side. Thanks!

• Like 1