Game glitch or something more serious?

joellipenta

@Fink Thank you. My thoughts exactly! 

@joellipenta - Your crash in Boneworks may be a unique case compared to everyone else's reported here (which seems to be resolved by a 3.0 cable) because you're experiencing the same symptom in both wireless or wired situations. As Fink had shared, could you play it again and then after the crash, open your windows event viewer to take a screenshot of the errors that happen at the time of the crash. 

Search Event Viewer > Launch application > Windows Logs > System
(Link to instructions)

4 hours ago, Beta_Tester said:

Hi @stvnxu, I've logged an issue report for this problem which has been picked up as ticket 50112500, the DIAGTOOL number is 20200125230646. Had a glitch (grey screen) whilst playing the new Doctor Who game and ended up in a wall! This is with wireless.

I've ordered one of the USB 3.0 cables to see if that improves things.

Ah you're the best. Thanks a lot for this. Please keep us posted on the result of the 3.0 cable if that solved your issue. I'll notify the eng team about your ticket, they're back this weekend woohoo!

39 minutes ago, stvnxu said:

@Fink Thank you. My thoughts exactly! 

@joellipenta - Your crash in Boneworks may be a unique case compared to everyone else's reported here (which seems to be resolved by a 3.0 cable) because you're experiencing the same symptom in both wireless or wired situations. As Fink had shared, could you play it again and then after the crash, open your windows event viewer to take a screenshot of the errors that happen at the time of the crash. 

Search Event Viewer > Launch application > Windows Logs > System
(Link to instructions)

@stvnxu I purchased the same cable as @Fink and am still experiencing the issue. Considering it's happening wired and wireless, I'm switching back to wireless now (I love that freedom!). As I was testing this morning, I noticed that if I start the game and then move outside the boundaries, when the game launches, the issue occurs. This makes me think it's tracking related. I reviewed the Event Viewer and saw some crashes related to Origin's Web Service (which was corrupt and I've since uninstalled), but nothing else related to Boneworks since it's not a true "crash" (you have no choice but to simply exit the game). Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, joellipenta said:

@stvnxu I purchased the same cable as @Fink and am still experiencing the issue. Considering it's happening wired and wireless, I'm switching back to wireless now (I love that freedom!). As I was testing this morning, I noticed that if I start the game and then move outside the boundaries, when the game launches, the issue occurs. This makes me think it's tracking related. I reviewed the Event Viewer and saw some crashes related to Origin's Web Service (which was corrupt and I've since uninstalled), but nothing else related to Boneworks since it's not a true "crash" (you have no choice but to simply exit the game). Hope this helps!

Yes, agreeing with you on it being tracking related (grey screens are symptoms of that). I'll have engineering look into this over the weekend. In the meantime, I'll hypothesize maybe it's your room if it's strictly just tracking:

• Could you try adjusting the lighting of your room to optimize the inside out tracking?
  • Try to put away any reflective surfaces.
  • Re-do your room setup and set another front orientation than the normal ones you've done.
  • When you play Boneworks, are there any patterns you can identify on when the crash happens? For example, is it every time you crouch and pick up something? Is it every time you face a certain part of your room? 

Thanks again for your patience in all this. We'll work to identify your issue. 

Steve

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stvnxu said:

Yes, agreeing with you on it being tracking related (grey screens are symptoms of that). I'll have engineering look into this over the weekend. In the meantime, I'll hypothesize maybe it's your room if it's strictly just tracking:

• Could you try adjusting the lighting of your room to optimize the inside out tracking?
  • Re-do your room setup and set another front orientation than the normal ones you've done.
  • When you play Boneworks, are there any patterns you can identify on when the crash happens? For example, is it every time you crouch and pick up something? Is it every time you face a certain part of your room? 

Steve

@stvnxu I did run through the room setup two days ago. Nothing reflective. Some bright windows I partially covered so it should have a nice balance. I never get high/low light warnings. 

As for occurrences while playing, I notice it happens a lot while climbing or near walls. As if I'm squeezing through the geometry. I'd chalk it up to this game alone if it didn't happen in Doctor Who as well. 

1 hour ago, stvnxu said:

Steve

@stvnxu I've had the issue in 2 different houses and 3 different rooms so I don't think it's room that's the issue. I do think it's tracking related though..

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:15 AM, stvnxu said:

Steve

@stvnxu Did some more testing wireless this morning and Boneworks crashed about 18 minutes in while playing around in the Sandbox mode. Typically when I get these "falling crashes/glitches", I'll be near a wall of some other geometry. Today though, I wasn't. It just went to the black falling screen with the falling sound. I didn't see anything in the Event Viewer except an error referencing Steam Tours so I grabbed that log and several others. Saw some errors in the Steam Boneworks logs but I don't know enough to decipher them. Thanks!

@C.T.

Logs.zip

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beta_Tester said:

Hi @stvnxu - been testing with the USB 3.0 cable and I think it is better. I've had less grey screens than before, but I'm definitely still getting them unfortunately.

Mark.

I think the aiming the issue towards the USB cable is leading the devs down the wrong path and this post isn't about grey screens its about getting thrown out the games in question. You can replicate a grey screen by covering the prongs (for a better word!) on the wireless with your hands so grey screens happen when the wireless and the receiver cant see each other.

The issue is tracking and the games with the issue misinterpreting the data the wireless is sending (IMO).  

11 hours ago, Sago36 said:

Have you tried replicating a grey screen by covering the wireless prongs?

I tried this and reproduced the issue immediately. However, this is just the grey screen. The issue with the "falling" or "glitching" is still an issue. I just had this happen in Gorn for the first time. Wasn't even near a wall. Was fighting some baddies and just appeared in nothingness with the sound of falling. This is starting ti get really frustrating. I'm looking forward to the external tracking faceplate (even though I only own a single basestation and no Vive wands since this is my first VR headset). I really hope these issues get resolved because I really would prefer the wireless freedom and ability to take this setup anywhere that the Cosmos provides.