Game glitch or something more serious?

joellipenta

On 1/27/2020 at 10:35 PM, HoZy said:

I've got a good quality usb 3.0 A-A cable on it's way, 1.5M because 1m is too short for me. 
Will add that to the list of tricks and see if there are any improvements. 

Cheers

I just got one as well as upgraded my CPU cooler to a Corsair Hydro H100i. Only problem is, I'm laid up with a bad back. Going to try some testing later so we'll see!

4 hours ago, joellipenta said:

I just got one as well as upgraded my CPU cooler to a Corsair Hydro H100i. Only problem is, I'm laid up with a bad back. Going to try some testing later so we'll see!

So I switched back to wireless, installed the new CPU cooler (stress tested and it's running super cool) and booted up Boneworks. Did the height and standing things and watched the box drop with the title. Looking good!

And then it happened again. The world disappeared and I heard the falling noise again. Screen was all black. Didn't even make it to the main menu and it's not like the wireless adapter was on long enough to even get warm. I submitted a report, uploaded the logs, and put the headset down with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm at a loss at this point. I don't want to accept that I spent over $350 for wireless components that simply do not work. Help, HTC!

Hi all.

I swapped out my USB 3.0 A to A cable and now I am not getting the grey screen of death, at least for now. Temperature is about the same as before, hot but not too hot,around 90c.

It was odd though because I first landed in the Steam Home (Vive beach home) and the fps was under 40 and wouldn't change. I then went into Origin and it jumped back up to around 89 fps average and the same with Viveport. I went back to steam home and it sat at around 88 fps. I haven't changed the super sampling or multiplier in steam so it is set at stock standard. As for apps, well they are all optimised for VR differently, some better some worse so i thought I'd keep it simple for now just to get a baseline.

In any case there didn't seem to be anything CPU or GPU intensive other than VR occurring at the time so maybe since this device hasn't changed since the original Vive HMD is the Cosmos pushing too much data because of it's higher resolution or it might be a communications protocol thing? It would be nice to get a comment from a Vive engineer to see what their thoughts on the issue is.

Thanks

Fink.

@HoZy Thanks HoZy lol.

@Sago36 & @joellipenta - Our eng team is out due to holidays, but I'm actively collecting the information here and will share with them once they're back to identify and resolve this issue.

@joellipentaWhich USB 3.0 AA cable did you buy? It seems like this fixed the grey screen issue as reported from Fink and other users. Not confirming this is the solution, but want to gather more data for engineering to look into. Also, are you experiencing this issue in any other game such as the screen flickering grey?

@Fink - With your issue resolved using the USB 3.0 AA cable, have you been able to test Boneworks through successfully?

Thank you everyone.

2 hours ago, stvnxu said:

@HoZy Thanks HoZy lol.

@Sago36 & @joellipenta - Our eng team is out due to holidays, but I'm actively collecting the information here and will share with them once they're back to identify and resolve this issue.

@joellipentaWhich USB 3.0 AA cable did you buy? It seems like this fixed the grey screen issue as reported from Fink and other users. Not confirming this is the solution, but want to gather more data for engineering to look into. Also, are you experiencing this issue in any other game such as the screen flickering grey?

@Fink - With your issue resolved using the USB 3.0 AA cable, have you been able to test Boneworks through successfully?

Thank you everyone.

@stvnxu The cable I used is this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KRO8D20/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually had Boneworks crash about an hour ago while playing wired so now, I'm back to square one. I cannot figure out why this game is crashing for me. Are there any other logs that could be helpful?

32 minutes ago, joellipenta said:

@stvnxu The cable I used is this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KRO8D20/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually had Boneworks crash about an hour ago while playing wired so now, I'm back to square one. I cannot figure out why this game is crashing for me. Are there any other logs that could be helpful?

Was this crash in Boneworks the same exact symptoms experienced with wireless? 

Do you experience any issues playing other games ? 

45 minutes ago, stvnxu said:

Was this crash in Boneworks the same exact symptoms experienced with wireless? 

Do you experience any issues playing other games ? 

@stvnxu Yes, this was the same crash where I'm "falling" and hear the same falling noise. When playing wireless, in some games, I did notice some pixelation, but nothing major. 

9 hours ago, HoZy said:

Maybe you guys need to read that giant red bar at the top of the screen. 

"Limited Responses - Chinese New Year 1/23-2/3"

Cheers

Yeah mate I can read.. though I don't necessarily interpret "Limited Responses" as no response, so I'm sure they will get to it when they are done with holidays as Stvnxu has done above. No rush on my part plus I think everyone is here to either find or give support to each other as well. @stvnxu I don't own Bone Works so I can't verify that for you but it does look like @joellipenta is having wider issues rather than just the wireless setup from looking at his latest comment. Checking the Windows event log under apps might give him a clue as to what happened at the time of the crash.

Fink.

• Thanks 1