Game glitch or something more serious?

joellipenta

I'm running the latest beta for Vive (and SteamVR) as well as the latest Nvidia drivers. Whenever I play certain games, I run in weird issues that I haven't really seen many others mention. For example, I'll be playing Boneworks and out of nowhere, my view will glitch and it'll be like I'm "stuck" under the map and I hear a sound almost as if the character's falling. I can't do anything but quit the game. Because of this, I'm still incredibly early on in the game (the lack of checkpoints doesn't help). I thought it was just Boneworks so I played some other games. This also happens in Doctor Who as well as Blade & Sorcery. 

I am using the wireless adapter and am wondering if that may be contributing to it. Haven't had a chance to switch back to wired. My PC an i7-8700k, an EVGA RTX 2080, and 16GB of RAM. I've tried the game on both HDD and SSD drives to no avail. I tried sending logs after the last crash in Boneworks but they failed to upload. Any suggestions on things to review/try? I haven't been able to play much at all lately since I can't make any progress without crashes. Thanks in advance!

@joellipenta

Do you have any video captures of the issue? One thing I'd maybe recommend when this happens is to access the SteamVR dashboard which should allow you to see the SteamVR' compositors ordinate grid - you'll be able to see the center of the room and the floor plane and will be able to tell if SteamVR's coordinate system is getting shifted.

• Thanks 1

I also have the wireless adapter on my Cosmos but not Boneworks, sorry.  I do have Dr Who and this seems to work fine but blacks/contrast is kinda so-so compared to my Vive Pro's and Oculus Rift cv1's oled screens 

The wireless works great but it does take up quite a few more CPU resources.  It depends on the game but in many games/sims I need to lower the in-game graphics settings and SteamVR super sampling in order to make the apps more stable.  You might also try going into your vive cosmos console menu/wireless and change the mode from 1 (default) to 2.  Sometimes this can help. Also, I found I needed to take off all overclocking of both my cpu (i9 9900k) and gpu (gtx1080ti), including uninstalling msi afterburner in order for my wireless to work best.

Like you said, you might want to try temporarily going back to wired and see if this makes any difference.  Good luck sorting this out mate.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@joellipenta

Do you have any video captures of the issue? One thing I'd maybe recommend when this happens is to access the SteamVR dashboard which should allow you to see the SteamVR' compositors ordinate grid - you'll be able to see the center of the room and the floor plane and will be able to tell if SteamVR's coordinate system is getting shifted.

Where in the settings is this? I'm working on getting a recording now. 

19 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@joellipenta

Here's a video of it happening. I got further than I have but it still happened. 

I have the same issue in Boneworks and Blade & Sorcery and I have the wireless kit too. Boneworks was unplayable for me so I got a refund.

I have reinstalled Windows and all the Vive software in the past day and haven't seen anymore crashes with Blade & Sorcery but its early days, I will post if it happens again.

• Thanks 1

Same Problem with 'Boneworks'. The Issue is being discussed on Steam by other Cosmos Users and there's no solution. Game works great with my "old" Vive. The (still not really working) Tracking is the Problem! I can't even play my beloved 'Beat Saber' - missing more Blocks than hitting. I am so disappointed about this HMD. And I really tried  all hints/suggestions, including making  new, complete setup(s).

Yes, I am using the wireless adapter. This feature was the main reason for me to buy the Cosmos. Otherwise I would have bought the Valve Index.

Here are my specs:

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
be quiet! BN204 Dark Power Pro 10 80Plus Gold 1000 Watt
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP2.0
ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super ROG Strix OC
ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1 Gaming
XIAOMI Mi Curved Display 34-inch UWQHD 21:9 144Hz AMD Freesync
HTC Vive
HTC VIve Cosmos

VR Games installed on: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe