Lighthouse compatibility kit

groslala

From what I understood from the new HTC announcement, I'm disappointed. If I want to upgrade my Vive, I will have to buy:

1) a 499 $ Cosmos Play (including two 99 $ inside out controllers and a 50 $ 4 camera faceplate that will be useless for me) + a 199 $ external tracking faceplate + ...separate headphones (one of the most immersion breaking accessory)!

2) If I want built-in headphones, a 899 $ Cosmos Elite with two 130 $ controllers and two 115 $ basestations that I already own.

Hello,

To be honest, that's a shame! I own an HTC Vive and I was quite happy with it but I was expecting for a better resolution... then the Cosmos arrived and I was a faithful customer and decided to go with it being thrusful with HTC... Then I started to figure out that the headset is poorly designed from ground to roof and that, whatever HTC support team is saying to us, no update will achieve to make the experience acceptable for the vast majority of users.

And then... instead of seeing excuses and propose refund plan and/or free upgrades, they tell us that we can invest twice the money to get something that actually works! I'm very sorry to not be from US to be able to launch something like a class action or equivalent to put HTC in front of their responsibility!

I have a vive with its controller and base station and in order to make it compatible with the Cosmos I don't want to pay one euro considering that it will be the ONLY way to have an operational Headset! It is not like we were asking for new features... just functioning ones!

Sorry to be so upset on that topic, but guys...really? What do you expect from us?

Hi all

I've recently read that the tracking face-plate only has half of the sensors of the original Vive.

Is this factual? Also if it is correct, will that effect the quality of the tracking or introduce limitations in comparison say to the original Vive tracking?

Conversely if this information is incorrect what is the tracking like in comparison to say the Vive pro? Is there any difference?

Thanks

Fink 

On 2/23/2020 at 1:49 PM, Fink said:

Hi all

I've recently read that the tracking face-plate only has half of the sensors of the original Vive.

Is this factual? Also if it is correct, will that effect the quality of the tracking or introduce limitations in comparison say to the original Vive tracking?

Conversely if this information is incorrect what is the tracking like in comparison to say the Vive pro? Is there any difference?

Thanks

Fink 

@Fink

This rumor would be untrue. I don't have an official sensor count to share but I did a quick informal count on a unit and was able to ID what looks to be ~32 or so SteamVR sensors on the faceplate which is more tracking sensors than the original vive rather than less. The tracking quality is on par with every other SteamVR device I've ever used - it's the same high quality basestation tracking we all know and love.

It's a pretty seamless experience for the most part. One thing we're on the lookout for is situations where a given title is confused about which controller type you're using. Historically, developers have only queried OpenVR for the user's HMD type and then they simply assumed the controller type matched your HMD which is no longer a valid assumption in 2020 given the mix-and-match ability of SteamVR now that more SteamVR tracked devices are on the market. We've ID'ed handful of cases where this is a problem and are doing 1:1 outreach to solve for those specific cases and we'll continue to test and lookout for other similar cases in the coming months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

This rumor would be untrue. I don't have an official sensor count to share but I did a quick informal count on a unit and was able to ID what looks to be ~32 or so SteamVR sensors on the faceplate which would actually be more tracking sensors than the original vive rather than less. The tracking quality is on par with every other SteamVR device I've ever used - it's the same high quality basestation tracking we all know and love.

When you actually know for sure, please let us know.  I have also seen reports that the new steamvr faceplate has less sensors than both the OG Vive and Vive Pro.  Thanks.

@TomCgcmfc Someone from our hardware product team (@stvnxu, @C.T.) may be able to provide an offical number. There appears to be 32 triads from a visual inspection but there are also some smaller sensor types I'm not familiar with and can't visually ID. Can you cite the reports? Generally speaking - everybody who has one in pre-release is under some form of NDA so I'm not even sure where those rumors would be substantiated.

The number of sensors doesn't really affect accuracy or precision past a certain point - more sensors basically help prevent occlusion scenarios. Having more doesn't increase the baseline tracking resolution per say but it does improve tracking quality by simply reducing the chance than an occlusion event leads to tracking loss.

If I had to guess - I'd assume that people are low-balling the number from photos because not every sensor has a physical indentation like on the first gen Vive. Most of the sensors are hidden behind the plastic housing and don't have corresponding surface features.

• Like 1

I just took a macro of the front of the external tracking plate that shows to help dispel rumor. There is an array of 4 sensors on the bottom half of this photo that do not have surface indentations. Now that I'm really spending time thinking about it - the majority of what I'd ID as triad sensors on the faceplate are hidden (maybe 20 of them or so) - only a handful have dimples.

The dimples are specifically for occlusion - all of the sensors that have dimples are pointing at odd angles that would be obscured and occluded if we didn't cut out material to create a clear line of sight in the direction it's facing outwards towards. @Fink@TomCgcmfcHiddenSensors.thumb.jpg.cb8a6db2cead4b8594a0c43e2959801b.jpg

• Like 1