Lighthouse compatibility kit

groslala

On 1/15/2020 at 5:43 AM, llealloo said:

People are going to be buying the external tracking mod like water lol

I hope it's released asap! We are so thirsty!

You say that, But people don't realize the cost involved. 

The mod, $200ish, 2x 2.0 Base stations, 2x VivePro controllers (Or I assume other compatible)

It'll cost more than the Cosmos did just to get external tracking. 

Cheers

• Like 2

If it's what has been hinted at by HTC, it would be $200 mod... then $150 for 2 lighthouses + $250 for knuckles, so $600 total.

<$200 mod that makes the cosmos one of the best performing HMD's on the market and compatible with SteamVR tracking.... Okay maybe it won't sell like water...

More like hotcakes!

The 2.0 base stations are $150usd each from Steam if you can even get them (Out of stock for a long time now) or $199usd each from HTC, Minimum 2 are needed. Okay so. 

That alone is $398usd

The vive pro controllers are $199usd each so that is another $398, Or if you can get the Valve index controllers they are $280usd for a pair. 

Okay, So, $280 for Valve index or $398 for vive pro. 

And then $200 for the mod.  

Unsure where you get $600 total from, These are listed prices directly from both the Steam & HTC stores. 

Cheers

I misread, thought that it was $150 for a pair of base stations and for some reason read the price on steam for knuckles as $250.

I did notice that the index stuff is out of stock until March or April which stinks, but it's also a good barometer of what people are more than willing to pay looking at the scalper prices on ebay. Index sets are going for 1500+ right now. Ludicrous, but also a sign that if HTC were to come in with a $600-800 upgrade kit with specs to match it would still sell like crazy. I would think they would need some kind of finger tracking controller though. Most other sets have this feature and the Vive wands are pretty antiquated. The Cosmos controllers I do like, but they are not going to be compatible with the lighthouse upgrade afaik

It'll go something like. 

"Hi, We at HTC know we f****d up. But, For a sum of money far greater than what you originally paid for your Cosmos. You can throw out your Cosmos controllers as well as the original HMD face plate & two of its included cameras. For us to provide you with a satisfactory experience that we cannot due to a hardware limitation in our design that our band-aid software fixes wont actually solve."

Don't get me wrong, I like my Vive. But knowing I'll have to upgrade to get an experience that should of been out of the box and not end up costing more than a Valve index. (Which I would have purchased but they are not available in Aus.)

Cheers

• Like 1

I feel your pain. The thought of paying more money to fix the Cosmos tracking actually makes me feel sick. They are literally going to charge the same price as the original unit to fix the original unit which will realistically just make it a new version of the PRO which they should have just done at the start.

Vive allow us to trade in the controllers and face plate for a heavily discounted on the new face plate, controllers and base stations to fix the Cosmos to how it should have been released. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, Hooflee said:

Can you please do a package that includes 2 lighthouses and controllers too?

I want a convenient way to buy the faceplate with the rest of the necessary item since I do not own an original vive.

And while you're at it, make a light house controller similar to the cosmos because economically it is WAY better than the original controllers.

I disagree having owned both the 1st get VIVE and the COSMOS the cosmos controllers are lacking, they feel like they are going to fall out of my hands, too short. Additionally the housing of the controller gets in the way of my finger when I try to press the shoulder button. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 11:26 AM, stvnxu said:

@groslala,

We have not publicly released an official date for the Cosmos External Tracking Faceplate yet. Currently our website states " *VIVE Cosmos External Tracking Faceplate sold separately."

I'll share your idea with our sales / product team in case.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

Are you actually going to fix the terrible tracking on the Cosmos controllers or do you seriously expect people to pay you $700 for a system that doesn't work properly and then happily hand over several hundred more just to get basic tracking functionality? Why would anyone do that as opposed to just, you know, buying the superior Valve Index? 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:46 PM, Benbob said:

Are you actually going to fix the terrible tracking on the Cosmos controllers or do you seriously expect people to pay you $700 for a system that doesn't work properly and then happily hand over several hundred more just to get basic tracking functionality? Why would anyone do that as opposed to just, you know, buying the superior Valve Index? 

Thanks for the question! Our engineering team is working hard to listen to customer feedback and push updates to improve the overall Cosmos experience including tracking. 

Regarding Valve Index, you can find more information on their website here: https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex