Microphone

hamez88

I have had the cosmos since launch and have been faithful to it sticking by it through its worst with the tracking, i am glad the tracking is much better, to the point where you can actually play gun games. What i had discovered today which surprised me though was the microphone on the headset..... and were it is placed. Right below were your nose goes..... OH GOD THE LOUD NOSE BREATHING SOUND ON STREAMS AND VIDEOS.

Why on earth was it placed here. Obviously no software fix will fix it so i ask what i can do as a work around. I like the earphones that come with the cosmos and not too keen removing them for a headset/mic solution and will do it as a last choice as i have a astro a50, the only issue is its much heavier. As much as some people like to watch me shit myself at scary VR games, the loud heavy breathing wind tunnel is real put off lol.

What are some ways you guys combat this? (Not breathing is not an option unfortunately)

@stvnxu @C.T.

• Like 1

Hey @hamez88,

Thanks for your support and patience! We're glad to hear you see the improvements in our tracking and please stay tuned for more 🙂

The VIVE & VIVE Pro also have the microphone right under the nose as well. I'm not on the product design or engineering team, but I'd imagine that's the best position to capture the user's voice as it's the closest to the mouth. 

If the nose breathing sound is overlapping your voice completely, then there may be an issue here. The expectations is for you to be able to communicate with other users in VR comfortably. If you're looking for better microphone quality for streaming purposes, then you may want to go with a 3rd party attachment such as your astro a50. We made the VIVE Cosmos highly customizable to accompany as many user preference 🙂

4 hours ago, stvnxu said:

Hey @hamez88,

Thanks for your support and patience! We're glad to hear you see the improvements in our tracking and please stay tuned for more 🙂

The VIVE & VIVE Pro also have the microphone right under the nose as well. I'm not on the product design or engineering team, but I'd imagine that's the best position to capture the user's voice as it's the closest to the mouth. 

If the nose breathing sound is overlapping your voice completely, then there may be an issue here. The expectations is for you to be able to communicate with other users in VR comfortably. If you're looking for better microphone quality for streaming purposes, then you may want to go with a 3rd party attachment such as your astro a50. We made the VIVE Cosmos highly customizable to accompany as many user preference 🙂

Ill give the a50s a shot with the cosmos, cheers

Sorry but this thread intruiged me, I hope you dont mind if I throw in my thoughts.
Could we use the USB C port on the headset for external devices e.g. *a usb microphone you would need to find one that fits of course.

you could also use *something like this as a way of getting round using the onboard mic.

Could it even be ..... ***distopian apply speak "your wearing it wrong"?
I was under the impression it didnt support use with glasses at first as; I wasn't wearing it correctly (my glasses bumped against the screen and I didnt want to risk scratching the lens). then read it was supported and tried again carefully without issue.

I think you are right that the mic could of been put off center without loosing to much voice quality but I havn't noticed lots of breating on my mic, maybe people are to polite to say 😉
All in all, I think it would of been lovely if HTC could of gone to Bose and borrowed their noise cancelling tech that they use in their new headset bose700 (yes I can endorse that they are bloody amazing 😄) but then again our headsets would then cost 800 for the extra tech 😕 plus extra processing draining battery (for those on wireless solutions)

* I do not own these, I am not endorsing that product its just an example for you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lionel said:

Apologies I dont think I can edit my posts, regarding using USB-C it seems you can, so there is that option for you 🙂
https://www.vive.com/uk/support/cosmos/category_howto/connecting-a-usb-device.html

OHHHH i had no idea the cosmos had a usb c port hidden away there, Thank you i will look into, This opens up alot of possibilities.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, stvnxu said:

@Hooflee,

OMG genius! I never thought about using this type of USB-C accessory. Thank you for sharing!!

on that note, is there any restrictions to the bus speed of the usb port?
I noticed that the chap above had put a hub on there, could this port ever be saturated to the point of degrading the user experience of the headset?

also would this solution also be viable on the wireless option? if so how would it handle power ?