Viveport, Vive Console, Steam & SteamVR - ALL OR NOTHING!

Zepps

Just recently purchased a Vive Cosmos and I'm having trouble understanding why Viveport and Vive Console automatically launch when I use Steam and launch a VR app.  SteamVR 1.9.xx shows me the status of my devices and has some settings I can adjust as does Vive Console.  My purchased games show up in steam but also show up in Viveport.  Forgive me if I seem perturbed by why force the VivePort ecosystem upon your users without consent just like Microsoft tried forcing Internet Explorer upon windows users many years back. I've invested a lot of $$$ on Steam and Viveport Infinity doesn't include many of the  premium VR games as part of it subscription. 

With the original Vive, it was simply a matter of uninstalling Viveport. The headset and controllers still worked flawlessly with SteamVR.  This is not the case with the Cosmos!  

I've  packed up my cosmos and gone back to my original Vive until this mess is sorted and the face plate mod is released.  Its a great headset, pity about the software and controller support that HTC provides.  Lets hope the HTC will sort this mess out before the Valve Index becomes available in Australia or Oculus enters the premium headset market.  Starting to feel I've bought a lemon.   A very expensive lemon!

I'll be waiting in anticipation. 

Edited by Zepps

@Zepps You must be kidding mate.  I think the new Vive VR system is one of the best things about the Cosmos.  The Lense window is very user friendly and you can access both your viveport and SteamVR apps.  When you open your Vive Cosmos console SteamVR is also opened.  You can access its settings same as you always did.  If you check your Steam icon in your taskbar and right click on it and access things like your library on your desktop.

I gotta say you are the first person I have ever heard complain about the new Vive VR system.  Each to their own I guess, lol!

16 minutes ago, Zepps said:

Nice attack,  Nothing constructive, Personal opinion.  Next please.

Sorry, not meant as a personal attack.  I was just surprised to see someone complaining about the new Vive Cosmos VR system.  I also have a Vive Pro and an Oculus Rift cv1w/2x sensors.  Wile the tracking is far better with both of these I prefer the Cosmos VR system with Lense.  I will say that I’m not a big fan of the Origin environment but at least you are not forced to use this.

To me it looks like you were mainly disappointed with the apparent lack of Cosmos controller compatibility in many SteamVR and VivePort games and of course the poor Cosmos inside out tracking.  Hopefully both will improve in the near future.  I hope it does not end up requiring a Steam faceplate module but if that is the case I’m prepared to buy one and use my Vive Pro 2.0 base stations and controllers.  I’m not a big fan of the Vive wands so might look at Index controllers if they ever make their way down under.

I was also a little surprised to see you complaining about VivePort.  I’m actually really enjoying my free Infinity subscription.

Anyway, please do not take any of this as a personal attack.  This is an open forum and I respect your opinions.  Hopefully you will do the same.

I simply want the choice to remove Viveport from my system without disabling the hardware due to the way the system/drivers are integrated into the install. Previous Vive Systems do not have this issue. As I stated, its a great headset but I'm fairly sure I won't be the only one that doesn't require the HTC/Viveport system.  I also dabble in a little VR development and have already come across a couple of issue I've not stated but again around the VivePort software not playing nicely with unity which I'll reserve for another time.   Had I known about these quirks, I may have delayed my purchase. I'm a loyal HTC fan and really appreciate the quality of their equipment so I'm willing to wait in hope that my concerns will eventually be addressed.  I just hope HTC doesn't use the Cosmos to force people into using their Eco-system. Hopefully  SteamVR will one day release with full support for the cosmos and not require any Viveport / Vive Console intervention. 

As far a tracking is concerned, I feel its well below par when your come from the base stations 2.0 setup. Accuracy and Lag are quite noticeable on the hand controllers but the head tracking seems OK abet a small delay/smoothing effect when moving quickly in high intensity games.  As it stands, I wish I could use my Cosmos headset with the Original Vive wand controllers to improve accuracy. I will say the I do like the "feel" of the new cosmos controllers. 

@TomCgcmfc Thanks for apology. I respect other peoples opinions but phrase like "You must be kidding mate?" "Each to their own I guess, lol" belittle my concerns and comes off as dismissive.  My first gut reaction was that you were a HTC representative performing damage control. Forums exist for people to voice all concerns and opinion. Good and bad. 

For now, I'll stick to my negative comments and hope HTC do something about it.

I must also add.... 

That when the face plate mod is released, It should be offered as a free upgrade to all existing owners of the Cosmos via redemption.  It surprised the hell out of me that they even considered not integrating outside in tracking into the headset from the very beginning.  

I know one thing... I'd buy a Vive Pro headset with integrated cooling fan which includes the screen/guts of a Cosmos in a heartbeat.  Best of both worlds.  Vive pro 2 perhaps ?

🙂

Edited by Zepps
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zepps said:

I must also add.... 

That when the face plate mod is released, It should be offered as a free upgrade to all existing owners of the Cosmos via redemption.  It surprised the hell out of me that they even considered not integrating outside in tracking into the headset from the very beginning.  

I know one thing... I'd buy a Vive Pro headset with integrated cooling fan which includes the screen/guts of a Cosmos in a heartbeat.  Best of both worlds.  Vive pro 2 perhaps ?

🙂

Ya, free SteamVR faceplates for everyone would be nice.  Even better if this also included 2.0 base stations and controllers.  If you think that either of these is going to happen, you're dreaming mate.  Maybe some sort of discount, who knows?

It will be interesting to see if the SteamVR faceplate will allow you to setup the Cosmos via SteamVR-only.  That would be a big plus for guys like yourself who don't like the current Vive Cosmos VR environment and VivePort.  Again, imho I think it's great.

As I already mentioned, I also have a Vive Pro full kit w/2.0 base stations/controllers.  I don't actually see why this would need an integrated cooling fan like the Cosmos.  The Cosmos draws a bit more power because of it's 6x cameras so this is probably the reason it has one.  The Vive Pro link box uses a 12v1.5A power supply and the Cosmos uses a 12v2.5A power supply.  Likewise, the Cosmos needs 21W batteries for wireless while the Pro only needs 18W batteries.  You do the maths. My Vive Pro, does not get much, if any, warmer than my Cosmos. 

As far as screen quality goes there is not a lot in it.  I would say that the Cosmos has slightly better clarity.  However, the Vive Pro is much better in darkish environments (= much better blacks/contrast) because it is oled vs Cosmos lcd screens.  My good old Rift cv1 with oled screens is actually a bit better in darkish spots than my Cosmos.  I just got Westworld Awakening from Steam (~70% off for the next 12 hours so pretty good value) and the difference between my diff headsets is pretty obvious with this game imho.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1133320/Westworld_Awakening/

The audio on both are good but I like that the Vive Pro has headphone volume control and mic muting features.  I would say that my good old Rift cv1 audio is at least as good as the Cosmos.

Of course the Vive Pro is SteamVR compatible so, like your OG Vive it does not require VivePort (which I still kinda like).

In your case you maybe should consider returning you Cosmos and spend a bit more to purchase a Vive Pro full kit with 2.0 base stations/controllers.  Then look at selling off (or gifting) your original Vive w/1.0 base stations/controllers.

Fortunately I can afford to buy/keep just about any VR headset I'd like.  I'd probably also have an Index if they were sold down-under, lol!  Maybe I still will if they ever become available (with RMA's, I'm not silly).  I currently am using a Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, a Vive, Cosmos, and a Vive Pro (but have also owned a Rift S and WMR headsets as well).  To be honest, if I could only keep one of these it would probably be my good old Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, lol!  If I could only have two I would probably go for the Pro over the Cosmos right now.  I still intend to hang onto my Cosmos to see how it develops over time because with its modular design I think it has a lot of potential.  I like  the new Vive VR environment and I also really like it's flip-up screen.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts.  Please don't think I'm belittling or being dismissive of yours.  Sorry, I could just not help myself mate, lol!  Cheers.

47 minutes ago, Zepps said:

The cooling fan is for my face 🙂

The Cosmos fan does nothing for this imho.  I use 2x desk fans (one in front, one of to the side) to help keep me cool and fog-free during hot aussie summers.  This on top of a good aircon, lol!

On 12/18/2019 at 2:37 PM, Zepps said:

Just recently purchased a Vive Cosmos and I'm having trouble understanding why Viveport and Vive Console automatically launch when I use Steam and launch a VR app.  SteamVR 1.9.xx shows me the status of my devices and has some settings I can adjust as does Vive Console.  My purchased games show up in steam but also show up in Viveport.  Forgive me if I seem perturbed by why force the VivePort ecosystem upon your users without consent just like Microsoft tried forcing Internet Explorer upon windows users many years back. I've invested a lot of $$$ on Steam and Viveport Infinity doesn't include many of the  premium VR games as part of it subscription. 

With the original Vive, it was simply a matter of uninstalling Viveport. The headset and controllers still worked flawlessly with SteamVR.  This is not the case with the Cosmos!  

I've  packed up my cosmos and gone back to my original Vive until this mess is sorted and the face plate mod is released.  Its a great headset, pity about the software and controller support that HTC provides.  Lets hope the HTC will sort this mess out before the Valve Index becomes available in Australia or Oculus enters the premium headset market.  Starting to feel I've bought a lemon.   A very expensive lemon!

I'll be waiting in anticipation. 

If you don't like new Vive ecosystem, you can disable " Use VIVE Origin as your default VR home" button on Vive console and press system button twice on left controller to summon SteamVR dashboard. Maybe you can try? 

HTC actually leave some space for users to choose which ecosystem they prefer. At least I prefer new Vive ecosystem so far imho lol.

As for Vive Console, I thought it have to work with SteamVR together......or is there any way to close Vive console?

• Like 1