school prodject

Roboman14107

@Roboman14107 - That's a really complex question. In short, VR has been a thing researchers has been experimenting with since the 1950's and 1960's. The thing about VR is that it's a cluster of technologies that when combined into one package - produce a compelling immersive experience. A VR headset at it's core is a very sophisticated sensor array that senses head motion combined with technologies like displays, lenses, audio, ect... so it actually takes advancements in a wide range of technologies to be combined together to make a good VR headset.

I would recommend you listen to this podcast about this early history of VR:  https://voicesofvr.com/139-henry-fuchs-on-the-early-history-of-virtual-reality-with-ivan-sutherland-the-sword-of-damocles/

That podcast overall is the best learning resource I can think of when it comes to VR.

The key importance of Vive historically is that we were the first headset to launch to consumers in 2016 with fully tracked motion controllers and sub-millimeter tracking precision beating out Oculus' touch controllers by a number of months. It was a partnership with Valve but overall VR has taken the work of tens of thousands of researchers and engineers over the last few decades spread across a very wide spectrum of disciplines. Prior to Vive in 2016, VR headsets were very primitive and limited to use in research and defense and they cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for a comparitivley low quality VR experience. Valve's advanced SteamVR tracking technology was a key innovation which spurred a ton of VR development and GPU's also started getting fast enough to do VR around the same time.

I hope this gets you off in the right direction @Roboman14107

• Like 3

On 12/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, VibrantNebula said:

@Roboman14107 - That's a really complex question. In short, VR has been a thing researchers has been experimenting with since the 1950's and 1960's. The thing about VR is that it's a cluster of technologies that when combined into one package - produce a compelling immersive experience. A VR headset at it's core is a very sophisticated sensor array that senses head motion combined with technologies like displays, lenses, audio, ect... so it actually takes advancements in a wide range of technologies to be combined together to make a good VR headset.

I would recommend you listen to this podcast about this early history of VR:  https://voicesofvr.com/139-henry-fuchs-on-the-early-history-of-virtual-reality-with-ivan-sutherland-the-sword-of-damocles/

That podcast overall is the best learning resource I can think of when it comes to VR.

The key importance of Vive historically is that we were the first headset to launch to consumers in 2016 with fully tracked motion controllers and sub-millimeter tracking precision beating out Oculus' touch controllers by a number of months. It was a partnership with Valve but overall VR has taken the work of tens of thousands of researchers and engineers over the last few decades spread across a very wide spectrum of disciplines. Prior to Vive in 2016, VR headsets were very primitive and limited to use in research and defense and they cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for a comparitivley low quality VR experience. Valve's advanced SteamVR tracking technology was a key innovation which spurred a ton of VR development and GPU's also started getting fast enough to do VR around the same time.

I hope this gets you off in the right direction @Roboman14107

great help

On 12/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, Roboman14107 said:

How did the company meet each other?

This is very complex. HTC has been a longstanding OEM - we worked with Google to release the first Android phone and at one point, one in every 5 smartphones globally was an HTC phone. In 2015, our former Peter Chou was leading our future developments lab when he helped establish a partnership with Valve around their SteamVR technology stack.