Problem with SteamVR Beta 1.9.8 Update

TomCgcmfc

I was having a few problems after today's SteamVR Beta 1.9.8 update.  I found that Steam VR did not properly startup (error 217), and when it did I got a headset error !-mark that said I needed to restart the headset.  I did this and then got the SteamVR error 217 again.  I found that the workaround for this was after getting the initial 217 error I turned my link box power button off, then on again and everything seemed to then startup and work fine.  I needed to go through this every time.  I ended up opting out of SteamVR beta and went back to the current stable version 1.8.21 and I then did not have any startup problems.  I'm not sure if others have noticed any similar problems but I thought I would pass this on.

@stvnxu

I've had issues as well and just restart the Vive Console and it seems to work. My main issue is that sometimes I won't be able to access the Steam Overlay with a double-press of the Vive button on the Left controller. That's incredibly frustrating but the restart of the Vive Console seems to do the trick for me.

@joellipenta , If I were you I would opt out of SteamVR beta and go to the latest stable release (currently 1.8.21).  The Steam overlay access works fine with that release btw.  Actually everything feels a little snappier with 1.8.21 for some reason.  Also, it will save you wearing out your link box power button, lol!

Edited by TomCgcmfc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, zig11727 said:

The new Steamvr beta  version 1.9.9 seems to solve the problem.

Good to hear.  I think I'll just stick with the Stable SteamVR version (currently 1.8.21) for now unless there is a compelling reason to go with the Beta.  I will stick with Cosmos Beta though in the hope that Vive engineers finally manage to fix current tracking issues.

That's always my 1st appearance...
if it's not working I opt out of SteamVR beta (no uninstall), just opt out and it actualizes itself to stable version.

In most cases it fixed my problem.
Then just opting back into beta after nest beta update.

• Like 1