Cosmos Public Release 1.0.8.8

C.T.

VIVE Cosmos Software 1.0.8.8 – Release Notes

Released December 6th 2019   

**Must Read Before Updating**

We discovered a bug that has a very small chance of bricking the headset during updates. This release will fix this for the future.
To safely upgrade to 1.0.8.8, please unplug your Vive Cosmos from the Link Box/Converter before you trigger the update. You may plug it back in once the update is finished, which will trigger a firmware upgrade and complete the process.

[System]

• Improved system stability for use over longer duration

[Tracking]

• HMD:
    • Room Setup will no longer be blocked by the high brightness notification
    • Refined the tracking indication timing during room setup
    • Improved tracking experience during dynamic movements when using VIVE Wireless Adapter
    • Improved the dynamic jitter UX
  • Controller:
    • Support simultaneous movement of occluded and non-occluded controller within the headset’s field of view
    • Improved lower side tracking performance
    • Optimized tracking trajectory for boxing style movements and archery games
    • Optimized the tracking of throwing actions

[Runtime]

• Added fallback controller type, support added from SteamVR Beta 1.9.4 onwards
  • Fixed a bug where the boundary would not be triggered when the controller is static
  • Fixed IPD display no showing up during tracking indication
  • Fixed bugs where Origin would behave abnormally when set as the default home environment
  • Fixed vignette setting can only be on/off on pass through but now also work on content to address Phr00t’s feedback
  • Fixed GPU memory leak

[Vive Console]

• Solved a bug where the HMD firmware update might be interrupted during a software update
  • Synced camera pass-through settings with Lens
  • Renamed an executable file to prevent a bug where “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare” wouldn't run due to a filename keyword filter

[Lens]

• Improved controller pointer behavior when using Lens
  • Fixed an issue where multiple transitional animations would occur when launching content

[Origin]

• Updated environmental sounds and refined the tutorial

[OOBE & Room Setup]

• The how-to-wear-the-headset video now lets the user know they don’t need to take off their glasses
  • Room setup can be triggered when in an untracked state by a long trigger press for 2 seconds (previously 3 seconds)
  • Improved the OOBE flow when requesting a GPU driver update
  • Updated localization strings for resetting room setup and adjusting the headphone position
  • Sad 1

Ok. I just tried rolling back from the current beta version of this.  I was not able to do this by unplugging my Cosmos headset as per your instructions because it would go offline, give me error messages about this and would not proceed with any update.  I ended up rolling it back ok by just leaving it connected.  The update was pretty fast and there was not any firmware updates that normally follow this.  I guess the firmware was already present in the beta?  Seems to work about the same as the beta so far.  No improvement to tracking and I have not seen any since the earlier 1.0.7.1 which was a significant improvement.  In fact I think that all updates since this have resulted in slightly worse tracking, esp. with bow and arrow and slingshot games.

One thing I noticed is there is no version number on the startup screen top tile.  Also, the (BETA) Added support for “Performance Priority mode” in Settings/Video to improve headset display experience is now greyed out.  To be honest I never saw any advantages of this performance priority mode with the beta.  All it seemed to do was make everything in my lense menus a little blurry.  Maybe this was aimed at improving wireless, which I am not currently using.

While it's always nice to see updates it would be nice to see better overall results imho.

Aside question;  When a current beta goes public (final) do you recommend rolling the beta back to it or just stick with the beta?  Any pros/cons?  Thanks.

Update; I have now gone back to the Beta version, without 'performance priority mode' enabled.  I cannot tell any differences, still pretty poor tracking imho.  At least I can see the version number on the startup top tile, lol! 

I'll probably stay on the beta program in order to monitor further Cosmos improvements.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Thank you for being honest.  For the thousands (let's not kid ourselves HUNDREDS) of consumers that purchased this poor product...tracking is still way below expectations from the competition standards.

Still NO re-center/rest view option.  I know the team or person responsible is looking for a new job.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Knight_Ex said:

If someone is just getting their cosmos new for the first time update do they have to follow any of these steps or just update normally?

Public release means the client will prompt you to update the device and the runtime. I'd recommend taking note of the advisory in this specific release note to minimize any risks from updating the software.

9 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

Public release means the client will prompt you to update the device and the runtime. I'd recommend taking note of the advisory in this specific release note to minimize any risks from updating the software.

Even with the new headset? I think you guys should make sure it prompts NEW users with that message,, because If a headset bricks during first update its going to reflect extremely poorly on you guys, which is something you really can't afford to do in this stage of the game, especially so close to christmas.

• Like 1

I gotta say, even I'm starting to doubt that Vive will ever get the Cosmos inside out tracking at least as good as the Oculus Rift S.  I suspect I will need to wait for the ~$US200 Steam Faceplate Module and use my current 2.0 base stations/controllers in order to finally get good tracking. 

This module should be available within the next few months.  Whether or not this module will provide the same tracking as the OG Vive and Vive Pro is still to be determined.  My concern is that based on limited info out there it appears that this module only has 1/2 as many sensors (6 vs 12 sensors) as the other Vive headsets.

Too bad since I love everything else with my Cosmos; comfort, clarity, audio, wireless support, and the new Vive VR system w/Origin.

My problem with that is new users getting into VR:

Cosmos: 935.00 CAD
Faceplate: 350.00 CAD
Base stations: 2x 190.00 CAD = 380.00 CAD
Knuckle controllers:  (Cause the cosmos ones won't work with base tracking, and god no vive wands)  420.00 CAD

Seriously? thats 2085.00 CAD , for everything, and thats NOT getting me a high end VR setup,  where I can get the Index for 1400.00, and that comes with everything,  even the Vive pro kit for 1399.00 CAD isn't worth it, you guys are not making this VR experience consumer friendly, its still overpriced like when the vive pro came out.  I might have to refuse my delivery of my cosmos when it comes this week and have it returned.