Noisy Fan

Beta_Tester

I just received my headset and my fan sounds exactly the same. I initially thought the sound was coming from my PC but it's usually pretty silent. I'll see if it gets any better before contacting support too. I thought it was supposed to sound like that until I found this thread ūüôā

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will have to contact support. I can hear the fan often - especially when turning my head.

As for the speakers, I can't get them to stay on my ears (head to big!) so harder to have enough volume to cover it up.

I'll try make a recording of it.

Honestly, if you can hear the fan your PC is probably not getting enough cooling imho.  Between my PC fans and desk fan (to help keep me cool and fog-free) I have never heard the Cosmos fan.  It would be good to hear a recording of it with you talking normally.  Maybe the fan blades are way out of balance or there is a faulty bearing.  I've had many similar PC fans and occasionally you do get a bad one.  But not very often.

I also have a pretty xxxl head and found that the Cosmos headphones would not always stay clicked in when simply pushing them towards my ears.  The secret I found was to pinch the headband and push the headset inward while pulling out on the headband.  This seemed to get the headphone to more fully click-in and stay there.  Maybe give this a try.  Worse case, maybe wear a pair of ear muffs over them.  Just kidding, lol!

Just for interest (as I created this topic), I got a replacement Cosmos straight after the 'noisy' one was sent back, and the fan is so much quieter on this unit.

If I really really concentrate I can hear it sometimes, whereas with the other unit I had to try my best to ignore it.

Definitely (from my experience) some major variation between HMDs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrakeJ said:

I think I will have to contact support. I can hear the fan often - especially when turning my head.

As for the speakers, I can't get them to stay on my ears (head to big!) so harder to have enough volume to cover it up.

I'll try make a recording of it.

The headphones loosen up as you use the unit. I found they wouldn't stay down to start with, but now I have no problem. Just gently 'click' them in and out of the 2 locked positions and they'll start to become more springy.

I would be interested to hear a recording of your fan. My original unit was so much noisier than the replacement one.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 9:53 AM, Beta_Tester said:

Just for interest (as I created this topic), I got a replacement Cosmos straight after the 'noisy' one was sent back, and the fan is so much quieter on this unit.

If I really really concentrate I can hear it sometimes, whereas with the other unit I had to try my best to ignore it.

Definitely (from my experience) some major variation between HMDs.

Thanks for sharing that - very useful to hear. How long did it take to get replacement?

I''ll make a recording today -very interested to hear people's opinion.

18 hours ago, stvnxu said:

@CrakeJ - It doesn't hurt to contact our support team just to make sure. You can contact them at https://www.vive.com/us/support/ USA is set by default.

Feel free to change to your region below. 

Thanks - I'll do that as soon as  I've made the recording.

Have to say though - that aside -I'm really enjoying the Cosmos..... amazing experience!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 12:15 PM, CrakeJ said:

Thanks for sharing that - very useful to hear. How long did it take to get replacement?

I''ll make a recording today -very interested to hear people's opinion.

Hi - I ordered direct from HTC so they only let you send it back for a full refund - and then I bought another one. It took about 2 weeks in totdal.