Vive Pro Audio Crackling after initial startup

TomCgcmfc

When I startup my Vive Pro I always get crackling audio from it's headphones.  If I turn my link box off, then on again, which restarts SteamVR it always comes good.  I'm not really sure but I think it may have something to do with the latest SteamVR updates and headset firmware updates.  Since the workaround is so simple and fast it's not really a big deal, just kinda annoying.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:06 AM, jagibson said:

@TomCgcmfc

When did this behavior start for you?  Are you running the latest SteamVR hotfix that came out on 11/22? 

I've only had my Vive Pro (McLaren limited version w/2.0 base stations and controllers) for less than a month now and I think this has been a problem right from the start (probably beta 1.9.4, now 1.9.5).  During this short time I have also received 2x headset firmware updates and 1x firmware updates for my 2.0 base stations and controllers.  I do not have a similar problem with my Cosmos btw.

It really does not look like this is something new since there are lots of similar Reddit posts that go a ways back.  Also, this is mentioned in the troubleshooting part of the Vive Pro manual.  There it tells you to disconnect your link box usb cable then connect it again.  This work as well but it is far easier for me just to turn my link box power button off/on.  So it seems to me to be a Vive problem, but who knows?  Maybe Vive needs to program in a bit of delay in the Pro audio switching.

@jagibson

I have this problem too, it happens probably 60% of the time when i first go into VR from steam. Through trial and error, I found an easy quick fix.

I simply click on the sound settings on taskbar and click on sound tab.

That usually fixes it.

If not; in that menu, disable vive pro sound, then re-enable.

No big deal...

VR is cutting edge, I bought it expecting issues.

Doesn't affect my enjoyment. 

15 hours ago, Jakey said:

I have this problem too, it happens probably 60% of the time when i first go into VR from steam. Through trial and error, I found an easy quick fix.

I simply click on the sound settings on taskbar and click on sound tab.

That usually fixes it.

If not; in that menu, disable vive pro sound, then re-enable.

No big deal...

VR is cutting edge, I bought it expecting issues.

Doesn't affect my enjoyment. 

I've never found your fixes help.  Even Win10 troubleshooting does not help me.  The only thing that helps me 100% of the time is to turn my Vive Pro Link Box power button off, then on again to restart the headset.  After this, it's all sweet!

I agree that whatever fix work for you and is not too much a pita, is great.  Still, for an expensive headset like the Vive Pro, I would expect more.

@alubaking Thanks but this did not fix this.  It did give me the idea to go through all my audio properties though and make sure that they all had the same sample rate (= DVD quality).  Unfortunately that did not seem to help either.  I still suspect this is a Vive audio driver issue that does not appear to be important enough to fix.

@jagibson