HTC Vive Controller Juicing on and on and on and on....

Hi there, I have not run into this problem except once and want to find the best solution for when it happens again...I am looking to keep my controllers juiced and stable "if" they run out of juice wire-less-ly.

My dilemma was that I was mid game and ran out of power on one of the controllers, naturally I just plugged in the usb cable and kept going, except mid play the cable came out quite a few times...and at one point this happened it made screen turn grey, I assume because it was registering as a USB device.

I think that the cable I was using was simply just too flimsy and short so what I am doing now is buy some stronger and longer usb cables for the controllers. 6 feet name brand ones which seem more sturdy and long but if anyone has any ideas or alternatives how to best keep the flow of the controllers going during game if I run into this issue that would be awesome.

@JonathanFernas I'm not sure I 100% follow this - especially the grey screen part. Perhaps the grey screen was caused by a voltage spike to the USB controller or some protection mechanism. Grey screen usually means loss of tracking - if the tracking data was prevented from getting to the PC you may see a grey screen but you'd probably also hear the Windows USB device connect/disconnect sound in that type of scenario.

Overall, if you absolutely must - the best UX is to get an external battery pack and put that in your pocket so you only have a short cable from your pocket to the controller and not some massive 15 foot cable back to your PC. You can run controllers indefinitely like this and I've done this before at trade shows and festivals. You don't need a massive or expensive battery back to do this. The controllers have a 960mAh capacity so you can use that to guesstimate what an external pack will net you but realistically you're going to get physically tired before you use more than 2000mAh of controller time.

You could theoretically use the USB expansion port on the HMD also - and I've seen that done - but I'd recommend against that as it can put alot of ware and hear on the HMD since the cable will by nature get yanked around and putting strain on that port.