Long Lasting Vive Wireless batteries?

DomnikBritto

Hi! I have a vive wireless setup and I love it (not having cords yank you back or wrap around you is fantastic), however a problem I have is that I will be playing and I have to cut my play session short because the battery life is short. I was wondering if there are any alternatives to the vive battery pack that have long battery lives? Thanks in advance!

@DomnikBritto - Our official support stance is that only the stock battery pack is supported as we can't QA other OEM's battery packs and assure them to not have a risk of causing damage to the HMD/wireless adapter.

The requirements for the battery pack are as follows:

• The battery pack needs to be QC 3.0/4.0 enabled. If it does not carry an official Qualcom Quick Charge certification it will not work at all.
  • If using a Vive or Vive Pro, it needs to be able to deliver 17w, if using Cosmos it needs to support 21w.

Note that bigger power packs will be much bulkier and heavier and may take upto a full day to fully charge if you're not charging it with a QC - certified charger. The stock battery pack is the best trade off between capacity, size, weight, and recharge time when it specifically comes to VR applications - you'll definitely notice a heavier batter in longer play sessions.

Reputable brands are Anker and Ravpower although I can't point to a specific model for the reasons mentioned above.

3 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@DomnikBritto - Our official support stance is that only the stock battery pack is supported as we can't QA other OEM's battery packs and assure them to not have a risk of causing damage to the HMD/wireless adapter.

The requirements for the battery pack are as follows:

• The battery pack needs to be QC 3.0/4.0 enabled. If it does not carry an official Qualcom Quick Charge certification it will not work at all.
  • If using a Vive or Vive Pro, it needs to be able to deliver 17v, if using Cosmos it needs to support 21v.

Note that bigger power packs will be much bulkier and heavier and may take upto a full day to fully charge if you're not charging it with a QC - certified charger. The stock battery pack is the best trade off between capacity, size, weight, and recharge time when it specifically comes to VR applications - you'll definitely notice a heavier batter in longer play sessions.

Reputable brands are Anker and Ravpower although I can't point to a specific model for the reasons mentioned above.

@VibrantNebula Please stop using V (= voltage) to compare things.  The correct thing is W (= watts = V x Amps).  The Cosmos requires higher Wattage capable batteries (21W vs 17W).  Since the usb output on both are 5v, this means that the max sustainable amps for each pack are going to be 17/5 = 3.4 amps for the 17w battery and 21/5 = 4.2 amps for the 21w pack.  If you push these packs beyond those limits the battery voltage will drop off and this will probably cause your wireless system to stop working.  So, this means that the quality of the Cosmos 21w battery is better and has a higher C rating (at least 21/17 = 24% higher), in Lion/Lipo battery talk.  BTW, I've been flying large electric radio controlled planes and helicopters for almost 20 years now so I kinda know what I'm talking about.

@TomCgcmfc You're partially correct here - I am typoing w to v. The requirement is 21w for Cosmos, 17w for Pro/Vive. Thank you for pointing out my error.

That said, you're also partially incorrect - 5v is the standard potential for the USB standard - QC3.0 is a proprietary USB fork. QC charge devices dynamically vary the supply voltage based on a real-time negotiation that occurs between the host and the device. You can't use other rapid charge technologies with the Vive Wireless Adapter because it's specifically based of Qualcomm's technology and the device and the host need to be able to handshake, authenticate, and intelligently negotiate the supply voltage.

image.thumb.png.c32b673a22d3837beea7afe7a746141c.png

Ya, QC3.0 charging is another matter and obviously QC3.0 chargers will work better and charge faster with QC3.0 batteries like both the 17w and 21w Vive wireless batteries.  The output voltages on both packs will remain the same 5v but the 21w will maintain voltage under load better than the 17w pack.

On 11/24/2019 at 2:37 PM, DomnikBritto said:

Hi! I have a vive wireless setup and I love it (not having cords yank you back or wrap around you is fantastic), however a problem I have is that I will be playing and I have to cut my play session short because the battery life is short. I was wondering if there are any alternatives to the vive battery pack that have long battery lives? Thanks in advance!https://discord.software/ FetLife vshare

issue solved!!

• Like 1

All the Vive headsets require 12V so that's met with the qualcomm quick charge 3.0 requirement.  Anker quick charge 3.0 batteries tend to be very reliable and are easy to find.  The Anker Powercore Speed qc 3.0 power banks even support up to 24Watts (12v at 2amps) so should work with Vive Cosmos as well as OG Vive and Vive Pro.  The Anker Powercore QC 3.0 (without the Speed in the name) support up to 18Watts (12v at 1.5Amps) which seems to be more common for quick charge 3.0 batteries.  The Anker 10000 batteries are about the same size as the HTC ones.  The 20000 ones are longer. 

My recommendations: 

This one will fit nicely in the belt clip: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JIYWUBA/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_mr

This one will fit but stick out of the top:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N0X3NL5/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_ls

• Like 2