OMG, I Just Ordered a Mclaren Vive Pro!

TomCgcmfc

Ok, since I'm not too happy with my Cosmos right now I decided to give Vive another chance to stay in business.  I've ordered a Vive Pro McLaren limited edition that includes 2x 2.0 base stations plus controllers.  I'll let you all know how this all works out.  I'm happy that I can afford to do this btw.  My next step may be to order an Index headset/controllers if these ever are ever made available in Australia.

Edited by TomCgcmfc
  • Like 1

I have the Index plus controllers, it works out of the box with my OG Vive base stations and it's an amazing headset.

When you experience the quality of the Index, it makes me more angry that the Cosmos is in the mess that it is. The only negative with the Index is the absence of a wireless solution. Hope you like your Pro when it arrives 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dickytwo said:

I have the Index plus controllers, it works out of the box with my OG Vive base stations and it's an amazing headset.

When you experience the quality of the Index, it makes me more angry that the Cosmos is in the mess that it is. The only negative with the Index is the absence of a wireless solution. Hope you like your Pro when it arrives 🙂

Thanks, I'm looking forward to my new Vive Pro and I'm pretty sure I will be able to use one of my 2x Cosmos wireless adapter kits with it with maybe a foam mod or two.  I still expect that the Cosmos will eventually come good and when it's lighthouse module comes out I will probably buy this.  The flip up and colours/clarity of the Cosmos are actually sooooo good imho.  Pity about the tracking, poor lighting adaptability, and poor controller compatibility.

If the Index headset and controllers ever makes its way down under, I may give these a go as well.

As much as I'm happy that I can afford to do all this, I hate to think what my wife is now planning to buy, lol!  I just bought us a nice cruise around Japan so hopefully this will keep her happy for a while.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stvnxu said:

Ho ho ho... stay tuned on the lighthouse module 😉

Hope you get some time to hang around Japan - my favorite country!!!

Steve

Ya, I'm looking forward to crossing off Japan and  Blossom Time from my bucket list.

After using my nice new Vive Pro McLaren limited version w/2.0 base stations (also wireless now, btw) for a couple of days now I gotta say I'm looking forward to a Cosmos lighthouse module.  Much as I really love the dark/rich Blacks from the Vive Pro's display, I miss the Cosmos's flip up screen and more comfortable halo head strap.  I'm also missing the Cosmos's  Vive VR system with it's easy to use Lense.  Tracking with the Valve 2.0 base stations is very good, maybe even a little better than my Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors imho.  Wireless battery life is also much better (~3 hrs) with my Vive Pro.  The Wireless Vive Pro is still a bit CPU hungry though.  Maybe a little better than the Cosmos.  With some of my more demanding flight and racing sims I still need to dial down my SS  ~15-25% to keep the same FPS performance.  Hopefully this will improve in the near future as more sims like X-Plane 11 go to Vulkan, and hence better CPU multi-threading.

Unfortunately I seem to be having a lot of problems getting used to the Vive Pro controllers, Esp. after using the Oculus Touch controllers for the last couple of years.  The Cosmos controllers are actually pretty good imho.  Too bad they do not support base stations.  I might have to look at getting the Valve Index controllers when they are available in Australia.  Maybe Vive will come out with similar controllers in the near future?

In the meantime I will put my Cosmos back in its box and continue to use my wireless Vive Pro and tethered Oculus Rift cv1.  I really do not need, or want, 3x VR headsets installed at the same time anyway, lol!  Like the Cosmos, my Rift CV1 (thanks to OTT) plays very well together with the Vive Pro and I can use most of my VivePort games with both.  Actually a bit better/easier to use together than the Cosmos and Vive Pro combo for some reason.  Not sure why?

I probably will not be posting much on this Cosmos sub-forum for a while but I will be monitoring its progress.  Like others, I'm expecting big Cosmos improvements in the near future.

• Like 1

Update on my wireless vive pro. 

My wireless adapter kit is also back in its box, under the pool table.  While it did work very well with most of my VR games, it did not work well with X-Plane 11.  The extra cpu it took to run xp11 was a little too much and this forced me to use much lower SS and xp11 graphics settings in order to maintain decent framerates.  When xp11 goes to Vulcan in the next few months and then starts to take advantage of multi-threading, I will try wireless again.  BTW, I', also looking forward to the Cosmos Steam faceplate module and will def try this when it comes out.  While inside-out is nice and convenient, base stations and external Oculus sensors will always provide the best tracking imho.  Maybe one day there will be a way to utilise both systems together, who knows?

17 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Update on my wireless vive pro. 

My wireless adapter kit is also back in its box, under the pool table.

Damn, whished to have more space in my cellar.
But if I would place a pool table in there I would need to get rid of my Pinball Tables, C64, Amiga, Multimedia place and desk...   *sigh*