How to get started developing computer applications?

aarelovich

Hi.

I will be getting an HTC Vive Eye Pro Soon. I wanted to get a head start and look a bit at the documentation but I'm a bit lost. Which is the proper SDK to use in order to make DirectX11 or OpenGL code shown in the Headset? I want to develop my application using C++. 

From what I've seen, WAVE is for Android and VIVEPORT seems to be to develop applications for an App Store. How do I develop a standalone PC application?

Thanks for any help.

Hi.

I'm a bit confused by how OpenVR works. Do I need SteamVR to use it? I'm trying to develop a script that takes the left and right camera feed from a stereo camera on my network to display it on the HMD and move the camera as the user's head moves. 

@Lewis , It's a bit confusing:

• OpenVR is an SDK (aka SteamVR SDK) that allows you to drive images to the SteamVR Runtime (aka the SteamVR compositor).
  • Your project needs the OpenVR SDK integrated either by downloading a Unity plugin, enabling the plugin in UE4, or by integrating the SDK's C++ native libs
  • You need to have the SteamVR runtime running on the computer to facilitate I/O with the HMD.
  • Vive desktop headsets will not work unless you have the SteamVR runtime installed and running (via Steam). It's a hard requirement to drive images to the HMD on the end-user side.