Cosmos Beta Release - 1.0.8.1

C.T.

@Phr00t - Okay noted and will forward to engineering team. Thanks.

@88sooner - We couldn't get your logs successfully on your initial report submitted because your headset wasn't connected. Could you connect your headset and have it on and submit the report again? Thank you!

https://forum.vive.com/topic/6662-how-to-report-issue-through-vive-console/

Steve

I actually went back to beta 1.0.8.1 because I thought my wireless worked a little better.  It gave me the option to remove power savings from the wireless and this seems to have helped improve my wireless performance, esp. with X Plane 11.  I'm not sure about low light problems.  I guess I'll find out tonight, lol!

• Like 1

@A-Jey,

No worries! Whenever you get the chance - your feedback has been helpful. Thank you.

@88sooner,

Confirming I've received your new issue report submitted. Will be forwarding it to engineering. Will update you if i hear anything from them on your case. Thanks again.

@TomCgcmfc,

Nice! Glad it improved the wireless performance. Keep me posted if the low light problem occurs for you too. (Fingers crossed it doesn't)

Thanks,
Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stvnxu said:

@A-Jey,

No worries! Whenever you get the chance - your feedback has been helpful. Thank you.

@88sooner,

Confirming I've received your new issue report submitted. Will be forwarding it to engineering. Will update you if i hear anything from them on your case. Thanks again.

@TomCgcmfc,

Nice! Glad it improved the wireless performance. Keep me posted if the low light problem occurs for you too. (Fingers crossed it doesn't)

Thanks,
Steve

Actually, low light with wireless now seems a lot better with 1.0.8.1.   I did get one low light warning but this disappeared pretty fast and did not seem to effect the quality of my visuals = still very good.  Maybe the power saving disable option that appeared with this update (and I enabled) helped.

Aside #1;  Just for fun I tried using the 18W battery that came with the old wireless kit.  Fully charged (4x green lights, not blue like the 21W) I got ~30-45 minutes of runtime before it stopped working properly = blank headset screen.  So, not completely useless and at least I can still use this to charge things like my iPhone,. Once I get my new (kinda expensive because I needed to buy another Cosmos adapter kit) 21W battery I should be fine with hot swaps.

Aside # 2; I found wrapping the headset/wireless cable one turn around the headband behind the left earphone helped get rid of the rear slack.  I used the little Velcro strap that came with the very long wireless battery lead to help keep this in place and I have not noticed any problems or noticed any discomfort. 

Aside# 3;  I found using the Link Box USB cable (L1, which you do not need once you go wireless btw)) to connect to the wireless battery works very well.  It is a lot shorter but still reaches my front shirt pocket or right pant belt no problem.  It also seems to be a better quality lead so maybe it is a bit more efficient, but I don't really know for sure.  A lot better than the long thin wireless battery lead imho.  I also like not having to use the Cosmos link Box and power adapter.  Makes for a nicer, cleaner installation and frees up one DP port on your GPU.

Edited by TomCgcmfc

@TomCgcmfc,

Thanks for your quick feedback! Glad the low light with wireless is better. Love your creative suggestions to make the wireless experience more enjoyable - I'm going to try to use that linkbox USB cable idea then I don't think i'll need to do one turn around the headband. 🙂

Is there anything regarding tracking performance you could share with the Beta 1.0.8.1 version? I'm just hoping what 88sooner is reporting about tracking being worse is unique. I'm aware results may be different since 88sooner may be testing this version with a tethered Cosmos versus you with wireless. Regardless, it's good to hear feedback on both sides. The last thing we'd want is to push an update that negatively impacted tracking performance. If this is the case, we'll delay this update and investigate further to make sure that doesn't happen.

Please remember Beta 1.0.8.1 version does not have tracking improvements in its release notes. It is to improve other areas such as wireless performance. Tracking performance should be the same as 1.0.7.1, not worse. If you do feel its worse, please let us know.

Thanks,
Steve

PS. Weekend is almost here! Pistol whip here i come!!

• Thanks 1

No difference in tracking as far as I can see from 1.0.7.1. Two sessions on both firmwares in Box VR yielded the same results so will leave f/w at 1.0.8.1. Mostly ok in tracking but every now and then, boxing gloves go everywhere and through the spheres. 

BUT, still lots to do. Near field tracking non existent. Plus the tracking hasn't a clue with a plain carpet on the floor (at least using bulb light, will try in natural light at the weekend). Any games using height tracking suffer greatly because of this.

Ever since new update tracking seems worse.

Playing beatsaber was fine when I wave on the sides now tracking misses.

And while playing pistol WHIP which requires plenty of bullet dodging I would at times lose tracking and my body gets stuck in the ground.

And also now I'm getting brightness notifications which I did not get on the previous update.

I told myself to return your headset but I still have some faith that you can iron things out, please do not let me down.

@TomCgcmfc -- Thanks for your participation and feedback!

@Dickytwo - Thanks for the extra notes on your feedback. Interesting finding on the carpet. Are you saying that on other types of floor you've tested works better than carpet? If you have the time, could you submit an issue report for our engineering team to look into that and address? In general, tracking improvements are in the works and the exact date for that next update is still TBD. I'll personally tag you when that Beta version is out!

@Hooflee - Could you help us submit an issue report for our engineering team to look into this? We won't let you down!!

Here are instructions to submit an issue report: https://forum.vive.com/topic/6662-how-to-report-issue-through-vive-console/

Steve

Happy Friday!