Cosmos Beta Release - 1.0.8.1

C.T.

VIVE Cosmos Beta 1.0.8.1 – Beta Release Notes  

Released November 11th 2019   

[Vive Console]  

• Default disable USB power saving, which can improve the experience on Vive Wireless Adapter. 
  • Added the ability for users to set Origin as the default home environment. 
  • Users will now be notified when there’s a software update, with a link to the release notes. 
  • Updated language strings for French and Spanish. 
  • Adjusted the behavior of ViveVR startup, now will no longer launch automatically on boot. 

[OOBE & Room Setup]  

• Fixed an issue where the initial setup was erroneously blocked by certain anti-virus applications. 
  • Fixed a bug that did not allow the setup guide to be resumed. 
  • Fixed a bug that could cause the Room Setup to crash. 
  • Fixed DPI scaling of icons on high DPI 4K screens. 
  • Added a pop-up dialog to remind users to pair the controllers before performing Room Setup. 
  • Fine-tuned the boundary system and anti-aliasing to improve visual quality. 
  • Updated Japanese and Czech strings in Room Setup. 

[Lens]  

• Updated Viveport Infinity icon on the Overview and Viveport pages. 
  • Updated the download icon for content to now show the download progress directly on the app tile. 
  • Updated strings for German, Spanish, Finish, French, and Polish. 
  • Fixed an issue where the default minimum boundary transparency wasn’t aligned with the settings option. 
  • Fixed loading scene does not close when content is ready to play issue. 
  • Fixed extra pointer during the loading scene prior launching content. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C.T. said:

VIVE Cosmos Beta 1.0.8.1 – Beta Release Notes  

Released November 11th 2019   

[Vive Console]  

• Default disable USB power saving, which can improve the experience on Vive Wireless Adapter. 
  • Added the ability for users to set Origin as the default home environment. 
  • Users will now be notified when there’s a software update, with a link to the release notes. 
  • Updated language strings for French and Spanish. 
  • Adjusted the behavior of ViveVR startup, now will no longer launch automatically on boot. 

[OOBE & Room Setup]  

• Fixed an issue where the initial setup was erroneously blocked by certain anti-virus applications. 
  • Fixed a bug that did not allow the setup guide to be resumed. 
  • Fixed a bug that could cause the Room Setup to crash. 
  • Fixed DPI scaling of icons on high DPI 4K screens. 
  • Added a pop-up dialog to remind users to pair the controllers before performing Room Setup. 
  • Fine-tuned the boundary system and anti-aliasing to improve visual quality. 
  • Updated Japanese and Czech strings in Room Setup. 

[Lens]  

• Updated Viveport Infinity icon on the Overview and Viveport pages. 
  • Updated the download icon for content to now show the download progress directly on the app tile. 
  • Updated strings for German, Spanish, Finish, French, and Polish. 
  • Fixed an issue where the default minimum boundary transparency wasn’t aligned with the settings option. 
  • Fixed loading scene does not close when content is ready to play issue. 
  • Fixed extra pointer during the loading scene prior launching content. 

Thx for french language !

• Like 1

OK, tried it but since I was not really having any of the issues that this beta update addressed I did not notice any difference but I hope it helped some.  I'm looking forward to the next beta that hopefully improves tracking and variable lighting conditions (actually the two are kind of related imho).  Thanks to all the Vive engineers for all their hard work.  Cheers.

• Like 6

This beta update (1.0.8.1) made things worse for me.  It introduced instability/compatibility issues to my Elite Dangerous game play.  I was kicked out of the game at least five times during one session.  It also brought back the low light warning to my Cosmos.  These issues were absent with update 1.0.7.1.  Controller tracking is worse not better in my case, particularly my right controller. 

To HTC Vive engineers:  I Know this is not easy, but it is what you guys do for a living.  Please get this tracking fixed as soon as possible without introducing unintended problems.  We are all pulling for you.  It is very much in our interest to do so.  Best of luck and I hope you can make some real progress with controller tracking and eliminating unintended consequences with the next update.

• Like 3

Update;  I rolled back to 1.0.7.1 and while I still got the odd low light message it was short and did not seem to effect the image quality so I think I'll stick to that for now.  One thing I notice it that every time I change headset software I get prompted to update VivePort software and this just goes back to the same version as before.  Also, after an update if I go into Origin it hangs.  If I exit it and try again it is fine.  Not that I use Origin much, I just thought I would mention this.

• Like 1

@TomCgcmfc

Thanks for sharing the field report on switching back! I'll make a note of this. 

@88sooner,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback for this beta 1.0.8.1. We do understand what's at stake when our customers + fans are pulling in for us and want to thank you for your support and patience. Sorry about the issue you're experiencing with this beta version. I've taken your feedback down and will forward to our engineering team. If you have the time, could you submit an issue report for our eng to look at your logs to identify and fix the issues that occurred. Here are instructions on how to do so: 

https://forum.vive.com/topic/6662-how-to-report-issue-through-vive-console/

After doing this, I would advise you roll back to 1.0.7.1 if this beta version is causing more issues than improvements. We will look into this. 

Thanks,
Steve

@Phr00t, @A-Jey, @T , and all addtl Cosmos supporters reading this:

I would love to hear your feedback on this Beta version if you have the time and patience. Your feedback have been extremely helpful and valuable for our previous software updates pushed, and we want to continue to listen to our customers on what's working for you, what isn't, and what other features you're looking for.

Thank you!

STeve

9 hours ago, stvnxu said:

@Phr00t, @A-Jey, @T , and all addtl Cosmos supporters reading this:

I would love to hear your feedback on this Beta version if you have the time and patience. Your feedback have been extremely helpful and valuable for our previous software updates pushed, and we want to continue to listen to our customers on what's working for you, what isn't, and what other features you're looking for.

Thank you!

STeve

Nothing was of my particular interest in the changelog. I'm looking for:

1. Controller tracking improvements and stability
  2. A method to disable the vignette, or just see it gone altogether (like the Vive room setup transition screen)

I'm glad you are addressing other issues, but the above two are what I'm waiting for before doing any significant testing.

My "what I want after that" is:

1. Better reprojection that uses the depth buffer. The current <90 FPS reprojection system creates significant artifacts and isn't tolerable.
  2. Less CPU intensive overhead with the compositor (which has to run on top of SteamVR's compositor)