Lone echo screen very dark

chtan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

this is not a solution at all. Setting the Brightness and Contrast is a poor workaround. The main reason for the darkness problem seems to be the translation from SRGB, Linear Gamma and Gamma correction. I would like to know, how to change the gamma settings until this is going to be fixed. 

I don’t get it. The other HMD haven’t this problem at all. Revive-Games like Lone Echo, Vader Immortal, Stormland and so on are useless.
I am not going to play this games unless this is fixed. Turning Contrast down to get a brighter image messes the picture qualities total up. Wrong colors and gamma.

Please give us a solution here. Any advice for a workaround would be great. 

My main reason for keeping the Vive Cosmos is to keep the HMD until we can use the knuckles with the steam 2.0 tracking. But this driver bug is not acceptable.

Kind regards
Clark

Unfortunately it seems to me that many VR games have been designed around oled screens and have not been modified by developers for the more modern lcd screens found in headsets like Cosmos and Index.  Hopefully in the near future developers will offer oled/lcd in-game settings.

Oled screens like the Vive Pro (which I also have) are very hard to beat in darkish games like Westworld.  Even my good old Oculus Rift cv1 with oled's and 2.0 SS looks better in most darkish games compared to my Cosmos.  In darkish games oled's give much better blacks and much better contrast.  The advantage of the newer lcd screens are that they are cheaper to produce and give very good results in most brighter coloured games.  No VR screen technology is perfect (eg. sometimes more SDE with oled's).  I wish the Cosmos had of come out with oled screens but I imagine that may have bumped the price up ~$100.  I predict (= total wild guess) that the next version of the Index will include oled's. 

Aside; based on my experimentation the Cosmos Lens settings normal, night, and vivid do not do anything to help these darkish games.  I do like the Vivid option in some bright coloured games because they do seem to make things pop out a bit more.

Hi Tom, 

it is not about the lacking contrast because of the lcd Screen. In my opinion the vive cosmos has the best levels of all lcd screens on the market.
When you look at the game outside the hmd on the mirror lcd screen you can see right colors and black levels, even on a cheap lcd tv. There is no blaming at the game, revive or the settings. The cosmo hmd doesn’t translate the gamma curve right. That‘s all. 

The gamma curve on the cosmos hmd for almost every revive games are literally wrong. The rift s lcd has worse black levels but the games look great in general.

But Tom you are totally right about the great contrast of an oled screen. I still love my black levels from the psvr. I would rather accept some screen door effect for the deep black level immersion. I would pay up to 500 dollars more for an oled screen.

Please help us here.

Kind regards
Clark

4 hours ago, Clark_HH said:

Hi Tom, 

it is not about the lacking contrast because of the lcd Screen. In my opinion the vive cosmos has the best levels of all lcd screens on the market.
When you look at the game outside the hmd on the mirror lcd screen you can see right colors and black levels, even on a cheap lcd tv. There is no blaming at the game, revive or the settings. The cosmo hmd doesn’t translate the gamma curve right. That‘s all. 

The gamma curve on the cosmos hmd for almost every revive games are literally wrong. The rift s lcd has worse black levels but the games look great in general.

But Tom you are totally right about the great contrast of an oled screen. I still love my black levels from the psvr. I would rather accept some screen door effect for the deep black level immersion. I would pay up to 500 dollars more for an oled screen.

Please help us here.

Kind regards
Clark

In this case it should be really easy to fix then @stvnxu

As not seeing anything in dark games is really important bug and the fix should be really easy to program, maybe the developers can do a little sidequest on it, even if nearly all of you are concentrating on tracking atm.

Edited by A-Jey

@Clark_HH, @Sjunin, @A-Jey, @TomCgcmfc,

Thank you all for sharing! Initially when this post was started, I've submitted a report to our engineering team to look into. The feedback was as part of what Tom had shared due to the nature of the OLED vs LCD screen when it came to displaying "dark/black." The fact is OLED will outperform LCD in displaying a true black. 

However, it is worth considering that there may be room for improvement in optimizing the black being display on LCD screens. I'll re-submit this report to our engineering to investigate with additional details.  Thanks Clark for those. 

Love the healthy discussion. Thanks and stay tuned!

Steve