I can buy the HTC Cosmos for 300$, should I?

Keane0411

Hello guys, first of all i want to apologize in advance for my English.

So, i know a guy who knows a guy, so I can buy the new htc cosmos for 300$ (don't mentioned other products because in my country, its hard to get them) . I know that the cosmos have problems, even though i dont know what those problems even means because i'm new to the whole vr thing.

So, the last time I used vr was on the GEARVR on my old Samsung phone, I never used vr on pc. and I wanted to ask:

1. In general, for 300$, it worth to buy the cosmos even with all the problems (which probably will be fixed in the future, right?)?
  2. the problems that everyone talks about is only on games? or it will be effect me even if i will watch a movie?
  3. When i watching a movie, can i do that from any distance i want to or i need to stay close to the pc? there is a distance limitations? I read online that when you want to play a game, you need to stay in space that you define when you setup your vr, right? so in movies, its the same like in games or can i watch movies in any distance from the pc i want?

Thanks for the help :)

1 hour ago, Keane0411 said:

So, i know a guy who knows a guy, so I can buy the new htc cosmos for 300$ (don't mentioned other products because in my country, its hard to get them) . I know that the cosmos have problems, even though i dont know what those problems even means because i'm new to the whole vr thing.

So, the last time I used vr was on the GEARVR on my old Samsung phone, I never used vr on pc. and I wanted to ask:

1. In general, for 300$, it worth to buy the cosmos even with all the problems (which probably will be fixed in the future, right?)?
  2. the problems that everyone talks about is only on games? or it will be effect me even if i will watch a movie?
  3. When i watching a movie, can i do that from any distance i want to or i need to stay close to the pc? there is a distance limitations? I read online that when you want to play a game, you need to stay in space that you define when you setup your vr, right? so in movies, its the same like in games or can i watch movies in any distance from the pc i want?

Thanks for the help 🙂

Hi Keane0411,

for 300€ don't hesitate
the problems described will be fixed I have no doubt htc has already made great efforts so far

That's my opinion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NRip said:

Hi Keane0411,

for 300€ don't hesitate
the problems described will be fixed I have no doubt htc has already made great efforts so far

That's my opinion.

Hey, thanks for the answer.

Can you also answer about the 2 other questions?

Those problems that mentioned, they only effect the games? or also i will have those issues if I just watch a VR movie? Also, if I watch a VR movie, can i do that in any distance i want? 

44 minutes ago, Keane0411 said:

Hey, thanks for the answer.

Can you also answer about the 2 other questions?

Those problems that mentioned, they only effect the games? or also i will have those issues if I just watch a VR movie? Also, if I watch a VR movie, can i do that in any distance i want? 

no worries for the videos, for the rest I leave it to the other members to answer you I am also new in VR.

7 hours ago, Keane0411 said:

Thanks for the help :)

answers as asked:

1) be sure that the Cosmos you want to buy qualifies for warranty support if that is important to you.

2) what specific problems are you referring to?

3) You need to remain connected to the PC, either tethered or wirelessly.  The room-space-limits only refer to moving around in that area to play a game that involves action by player, such as the Lab.  To watch a movie on the Cosmos (I do not know why you'd want to do so), you only need to stay in connection range.

Thanks everyone for helping out @Keane0411 while I was gone!

2. If you're talking about the controller tracking, this shouldn't affect your movie experience. The Cosmos will work fine for playing movies 🙂

3. Cosmos out of the box will need to be tethered to your computer. The wire is 5 meters long. So the distance limitation is 5 meters between where you want to watch the movie on the headset to the computer. 

Hope that answers your question!

Steve

2. If you're talking about the controller tracking, this shouldn't affect your movie experience. The Cosmos will work fine for playing movies 🙂

3. Cosmos out of the box will need to be tethered to your computer. The wire is 5 meters long. So the distance limitation is 5 meters between where you want to watch the movie on the headset to the computer. 

Steve

2 hours ago, stvnxu said:

Steve

Actually, watching a movie might not be all that easy because the Cosmos currently does not have a re-centre button.  So, you may have a problem lining up the movie's orientation, esp. if you want to watch it on a recliner or in bed.  I'm not a big fan of watching movies in VR although I do watch a few with my Oculus Go because it is easy to re-centre and does not have a knob on the back of its headstrap.

9 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Actually, watching a movie might not be all that easy because the Cosmos currently does not have a re-centre button.  So, you may have a problem lining up the movie's orientation, esp. if you want to watch it on a recliner or in bed.  I'm not a big fan of watching movies in VR although I do watch a few with my Oculus Go because it is easy to re-centre and does not have a knob on the back of its headstrap.

what re-centre button mean? i'm sorry for the noob questions, im new at this