Darkness problem

bulgaro80

1 hour ago, A-Jey said:

You could try out the Vivid Mode inside lense menu->settings.
Maybe it give you slightly more contrast.

HI
thanks i try it
same photo (example game reiko's fragments)
upper photo HTC Cosmos 
lower Photo HTC Vive ( i see better with htc vive)

1 cosmos20191104211116_1 (1).jpg

1 cosmos20191104211116_1 (3).jpg

Edited by bulgaro80
  • Like 1

@bulgaro80,

Interesting... Could you confirm if you are specifically experiencing this with Reiko's Fragment?  Or can you also show another content comparison using both devices? 

In the meantime, I'll investigate further and also reach out to the developers (I know them personally, they're great).

Let me know when you can.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Fink for the list. 

Try adjusting it through Lens> Settings > Vivid, Normal, Night Mode. I've put in a feature request for more customization to adjust brightness if possible from our engineering team. Will share update when I hear back. Thanks for your patience!

To all,

Please note the following factors regarding this topic: 

• These darkness "issues" can be subjective as it varies depending on each user's sensitivity to light. Even if we add a deeper level of brightness adjustment on top of the existing three mode setting, it may not exactly address the main problem which is the darkness in the content. For example, we can't brighten a pitch black room to see more furniture based on Cosmos setting - this type of lighting adjustment is dependent on the developer / studio. The analogy to compare is raising the brightness on your phone display - it helps you in various lighting environments (outdoor vs indoor), but it's not directly increasing the lighting WITHIN the content. Just the display showing the content. It's hard to describe for me as I type this out haha.
  • When comparing VIVE or VIVE Pro headsets with the Cosmos, please be aware that it is comparing OLED to LCD screen. Therefore, you won't get the very exact level of detail & experience when comparing the two due to the nature of these two different displays.

Nonetheless, I'll still follow up with engineering team on the brightness adjustment request because I think the more user customization there is available, the more accessible it can be.  😄

Steve

• 1 month later...

There are some settings that could make things a bit better. Edit the file "c:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\ViveVRRuntime\htcvr.vrsettings" with notepad and add to the htcvr section "Contrast" and "Saturation":

eg from(might be a bit differen at yours):

"htcvr" : {
      "BringUpDashboard" : true,
      "ForceRenderBeforeTracking" : false
   }

to:

"htcvr" : {
      "BringUpDashboard" : true,
      "ForceRenderBeforeTracking" : false,
      "Contrast" : 0.004,
      "Saturation" : 1
   }

0.004 and 1 are the default values saved at "..\Updater\App\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR\ViveVRServer\config\default.vrsettings". I am not really sure what ranges are acceptable but with "Contrast" set to -0.1 it should be a bit lighter at dark places. Changes take effect after restarting the Vive Console so close it, edit your values in, save and start it.

ViveVRCompositor.exe has signs ("Press / to increase contrast by 0.01", "Press + to increate saturation by 0.01", etc)  that you can change your Contrast and Saturation with keystrokes from possibly a debug/developer menu. To the devs, making this functionality available would probably be welcomed from those that have similar problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you T explorer. I did set Contrast to -0.1, and  it did help a lot so now i can see the environment. Looks like a different game. I did not change the saturation though.

Marius

Edited by Margar
  • Like 1