OMG, I Ordered a Cosmos Wireless Kit Today!

TomCgcmfc

8 minutes ago, TomCgcmfc said:

I 've recharged a few times now once it got down to 25% (first light just starts to blink).  It took about 3-4 hours to recharge with a 5v 2A USB wall charger.  So, if you use a typical 5v 1A USB phone charger it will take about 6-8 hours.  I only seem to be getting about 1.5 hrs runtime before I need to recharge.  Once the battery's 4 lights (= full charge) goes down to 1 light starting to flash (= 25%)  you want to charge it pretty soon after or you will start to get some display and tracking issues.  You may get a low battery warning but I did not notice this so you are best to just periodically check the battery lights.  Also, the battery seems to get hotter the more it is discharged.  You should also allow the battery to cool down (about 10 minutes) to at least body temperature before putting it on a charger so you do not damage the battery.

Unfortunately battery life and long charge times are the weak link to enjoying the Cosmos wireless for me right now.  I think that Vive needs to look at supplying at least 2 battery packs or maybe just a higher mAh capacity battery (maybe 15-20000mAh) together with a fast (4A?) wall charger imho.

Thx a lot for your response .. I will test with a usb port type C to see if it goes more faster ....I WANT TO PLAY sniffff

On 11/4/2019 at 7:56 AM, A-Jey said:

Nice!

Does it need anything in addition or do you just mount that thing to your headset and you're good to go?

You have to install a card in your PC and mount a transmitter connected to it so that the wireless receiver gets the video and audio signals to transfer to the Cosmos HMD.  It simply replaces the wire connection, no more.

Edited by Pixel Dust
spelling
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VibrantNebula said:

@joellipenta & anybody else who may be getting one soon - please remember that international & carrier regulations prevent us from shipping fully charged batteries so you'll want to get the battery plugged in and charging while you install the PCI-e card. It will charge fastest via a QC3.0 charger.

Thanks for that.  I will definitely buy a QC3.0 wall charger.  These are supposed to charge QC3.0 devices (like the Cosmos wireless battery) at 18W.  My conventional  5v/2A  = 10W so a QC3.0 should charge almost twice as fast.  I still would like an extra Cosmos battery though so I could have one charged up and ready to swap.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hi, I purchased the wireless adapter and the adapter kit with the 21w battery. No issues so far other than poor battery life. I'm only getting a little over 1 hours use. I would prefer a second battery but don't know of a compatible one and HTC are not selling one at the moment, but I do have a support request with them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vinney222 said:

Hi, I purchased the wireless adapter and the adapter kit with the 21w battery. No issues so far other than poor battery life. I'm only getting a little over 1 hours use. I would prefer a second battery but don't know of a compatible one and HTC are not selling one at the moment, but I do have a support request with them.

Ya, the Cosmos takes more power to work compared to Vive pro which is why they needed to up its capability from 18W to 21W.  Unfortunately they did not provide a larger capacity (mAh) so runtimes will of course be lower.  Right now, the only way for me to get another 21w Cosmos battery is to buy another Cosmos adapter kit ($99 for me in Australia, plus shipping), lol!  Please let us know how you make out with your support request.  Thanks.

Hey @TomCgcmfc,

Totally fair request. This isn't a report I could raise to our engineering team, but I'll escalate it internally to get some traction. We do have a 18W battery sold separately, which we know isn't for Cosmos, but hope this pattern means there is already a 21W battery individual SKU in the pipeline. I'll update you on what I hear.

Thanks,
Steve

• Thanks 1