OMG, I Ordered a Cosmos Wireless Kit Today!

TomCgcmfc

1 minute ago, stvnxu said:

The Wireless Adapter for Cosmos comes with everything you'll need.

You do need to install the PCI e card and mount the antenna on your monitor or anything you prefer. From there, mount the adapter on with the battery pack and you're wireless!!

Thanks,

Steve

When can this be ordered? It still says Coming Soon on the main HTC site. Will it be available from Amazon as well?

Just now, joellipenta said:

When can this be ordered? It still says Coming Soon on the main HTC site. Will it be available from Amazon as well?

@joellipenta

Hey sorry for the confusion! The Wireless Adapter kit for Cosmos is available in certain regions, for example: UK and Australia, but still isn't ready in other regions. It is in the works and will be available soon for all regions. 

I'm not on the sales team, but I would say yes you should be able to purchase via Amazon when it is released. The wireless adapter kit for both VIVE and VIVE Pro is on amazon so I'd imagine it would be for cosmos 🙂

Let me know what region you're in and I can update you when i hear that it is available.

Thanks,

Steve

Here are a few points of clarification:

• There are two SKU's relating to Wireless & Cosmos
    • The Vive Wireless for Cosmos Kit: Contains everything you need including the PCi-E card, wireless linkbox, 21v battery bank, padding, and cabling.
    • The Vive Wireless for Cosmos Attach Kit - This is an upgrade kit for existing wireless adapter owners which has the 21v battery bank as well as padding/cabling.
  • The adapter package/attach kit is currently only fully approved for sale in some regions - most notably the EU. As sales are approved in new regions, they'll be added to vive.com. We can check in on Amazon availability.
    • The Cosmos requires a 21v OC3.0 power bank - the battery that shipped with the original wireless adapter kit (for OG Vive/ Vive Pro) can only supply 17v and is thus incompatible with Cosmos.

Attach kit for Cosmos Contents: headset cable, head pad cushion, velcro, cradle, and 21v battery bank AttachKit.thumb.png.76755c79a717d914d54c1861ddf70b27.png 

Vive Wireless Adapter for Cosmos Contents: PCI-E card, wireless linkbox, wireless adapter, headset cable, head pad cushion, velcro, cradle, and 21v battery bank.

• Like 2

Ok, I got my nice new Cosmos Wireless kit today.  All very easy to install and setup.  Comes with another 2 months free Infinity so with the 12mo that came with my pre-order plus another 2mo bonus, plus this 2mo.  So I'm good till Feb 2021, lol!

Overall it seems to work pretty well.  I have had the odd hiccup (black screen) going in and out of some SteamVR games like Assetto Corsa but this might have something to do with the new Steam release earlier today.  I did not have any problems with any Viveport games.  They all worked great.

It's pretty comfortable but the supplied short DP cable is a little on the long side and tends to drape down the back of your neck unless you pull a lot of slack on the visor side.  I still have not found a good place to put the battery so I can tie up a lot of the 2m of cable but I'm sure I will figure this out.  The 21 Watt battery (not 21v btw) seems fine but I think you will be hard pressed to get much more than 1.5-2 hrs out of it.  I think I'm going to need to find another one.  Not sure where?

My only major complaint right now is that the performance of my high demand flight sims like X Plane 11 seems to be quite a bit lower that it was tethered.  Tethered I was getting a solid 45fps and with wireless this is down to 30-35fps.  XP11 is pretty poor at the best of times because it does not utilise multi-cores right now.  Hopefully when it goes to Vulcan early next year this will improve.  I'm using an i9 9900k oc to 5ghz with a gtx1080ti and 32gb 3000 ram btw.  I'll play with a few more settings to see if I can improve the wireless performance.  Any tips?  Since my main VR usage is flight and racing sims I'm kinda disappointed with the drop in performance so far.  Again, very early days so hopefully I will find ways to improve upon this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @TomCgcmfc,

Thanks for the feedback! I'll send this to engineering team to see if they have any tips on optimization. The tips I can think off the top of my head is making sure your battery is fully charge and that your antenna is in the best line of sight with the wireless adapter. However, I think you've already tested those so hopefully I can come back internally with other suggestions.

Stay tuned!
Steve

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NRip said:

Hi @TomCgcmfc,

How long did it take you to charge the battery? wich usb port did you used ?

htc suggestion ?

(Sorry for my english is very poor ;-))

I 've recharged a few times now once it got down to 25% (first light just starts to blink).  It took about 3-4 hours to recharge with a 5v 2A USB wall charger.  So, if you use a typical 5v 1A USB phone charger it will take about 6-8 hours.  I only seem to be getting about 1.5 hrs runtime before I need to recharge.  Once the battery's 4 lights (= full charge) goes down to 1 light starting to flash (= 25%)  you want to charge it pretty soon after or you will start to get some display and tracking issues.  You may get a low battery warning but I did not notice this so you are best to just periodically check the battery lights.  Also, the battery seems to get hotter the more it is discharged.  You should also allow the battery to cool down (about 10 minutes) to at least body temperature before putting it on a charger so you do not damage the battery.

Unfortunately battery life and long charge times are the weak link to enjoying the Cosmos wireless for me right now.  I think that Vive needs to look at supplying at least 2 battery packs or maybe just a higher mAh capacity battery (maybe 15-20000mAh) together with a fast (4A?) wall charger imho.