Is it possible to combine SRWorks with Vive Hand Tracking?

okocha1337

Hi @okocha1337

I tested locally on my computer and SRWorks and Vive Hand Tracking can work together.

Here is my configuration: GTX 1070, Unity 2017.4.16f1, SRWorks v0.8.0.2, Vive Hand Tracking v0.8.2

Here is the step to setup the project:

1. Follow the steps here to setup graphics card driver and SteamVR.
  2. Create new 3D project in Unity.
  3. Import both SDKs
  4. Open "Assets/ViveSR/Scenes/Sample/Sample.unity" scene, and accept all the steps prompted.
  5. In the scene, add GestureProvider script to the Camera with MainCamera tag. This should be the "[ViveSR]/DualCamera (head)/Camera (eye offset)/Camera (eye)" GameObject.
  6. Add LeftHandRenderer and RightHandRenderer prefab to the scene from "Assets/ViveHandTracking/Prefab" folder.
  7. Play in Unity.

Some notes:

1. Please first make sure if you see your hands detected using "Assets/ViveHandTracking/Sample/Sample.unity" scene.
  2. For the first time running on each machine, Vive Hand Tracking may take 20-30 seconds for setup. So your hands are not shown immediately after you clicked play. You can wait for some time and see if your hand is shown.
  3. Please share your configuration so we can help to identify the problem you encounter.
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello

How to achieve the same result in Unreal 4.25? I have both SDKs and separately they work fine, but dragging both in the same level makes the pass-through crash.
What hand tracking components should be added to SRPawn to make it a single actor?

Thanks @zzy

Hi, @MadisV

There is no need to add ViveHandTracking component to other actor, cause it has been added to HandTrackingProvider(Blueprint Actor).

I tested SRWorks and ViveHandTracking on my computer, and they could work together in UE4.24 and UE4.25.

My configuration: GTX 2060, Unreal Editor 4.24.3/4.25.4,  SRWorks 0.9.7, ViveHandTracking 0.9.4, steamVR 1.15.19  and HTC Vive Pro.

Here is the step to setup your project:

1.Copy SRWorks plugin and ViveHandTracking plugin into Plugins folder within a new unreal porject.

2.Launch SRWorksRuntime.exe before openning your project.

3.Really recommand you to create a new level or use a map of ViveHandTracking, cause the sample map of SRWorks has no skybox.

4. For tracking hand, you just need to add HandTrackingProvider and any one of virtual hands(basic hand, cartoon hand and robot hand).

5.For SRWorks, you should add the VRCamera, ViveSR and other actors which are necessary.

6.Remember to delete playerstart, cause there is already an VRCamera(SRPawn), and set Auto Possess Player to Player 0.

7.It may take moments to initialize see-through camera when you first play this map.

image.png.ffd98fdc6b2405b399fd5825ece48dd1.png

image.png.1f79b7a42cb488a123c5bf2fe1ad4cdd.png

Please let me know if you solved it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello

I am encountering frequent crashes when combining pass-through with hand tracking. To exeplify this, I made a new project on UE 4.26 (the problem was present also in 4.24 and 4.25), added both the SRWorks and the newest available hand tracking plugins, rebuilt the code when opening the project, started SRWorks runtime, duplicated SRWorks sample scene, added handtrackingprovider and cartoon hands to the scene and launched the VR preview. The experience worked for a minute, then crashed with the following short report (I have had many similar crashes also when ending the play session or even inside the editor when working on other parts of the project). Sometimes it seems to occur when the tracked hands move very fast, but this not a certainty. I have also attached a longer crash dump that UE generates and uploaded the project files (100mb, here). Any help or hint is greatly appreciated! Otherwise I have to ditch these excellent features for the sake of reliability of the overall experience I am trying to achieve. 

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00007ffc268dd898

UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

UE4CC-Windows.zip

@MadisV SRWorks 0.9.6 may not be a Stable Release for Unreal Engine. It turns out it actually has a now known crash problem when working with ViveHandTracking.

I tested the latest version(0.9.7.1) of SRWorks combined with ViveHandTracking on UE4.24-4.26,  and the behavior did not happen again.

Perhaps you should update your SRWorks plugin to 0.9.7.1 to proactively avoid encountering this bug.

@KeateWang I think I was on 0.9.7.1 also before, but I now double-checked with a new project and again it crashed, this time about 5 seconds after stopping VR preview, here is the short form report: 

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00007ffc268dd898

VCRUNTIME140
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_SceneOutliner
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

---

I thought that maybe the problem might be that I always take the "HandTrackingProvider" script out of the plugin folder, so I instead tried to keep it in the original folder and add SRWorks components to the "CustomGestureMap". Still crashes:

Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Private/UObject/GarbageCollection.cpp] [Line: 980] Invalid object in GC: 0x0000000000000038, ReferencingObject: NULL, ReferencingProperty: NULL

UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll  

---

The same project also crashes randomly when I am working on a level that does not have any hand tracking scripts present, report:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x00007ffc268dd898

d3d11
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_SlateCore
UE4Editor_SceneOutliner
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
user32
uxtheme
ntdll
win32u
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor