Light leakage into the HMD

laprid0

One thing I haven't noticed other users bringing up as much - is how much light leaks into the HMD! I am lucky to see any at all on my original Vive - but on Cosmos light leaks from below where the rubber flap is meant to conform to users nose(?) I guess that's what it is meant for. Light leaks in through there from beneath...doesn't on Vive. From top it seems to leak right in onto the LENS?!? how did that get missed? it somehow comes in from behind if there is a light source above and behind you from something like ANY ceiling light you might be standing under or behind you. Has anyone mitigated this somehow?

Edited by laprid0
spelling
  • Like 1

I actually like a little nose flap leakage because when I am using flight sims like X Plane 11 it lets me peek at my keyboard.  I find this a bit more convenient that tilting up the headset and then needing to readjust it all the time.  A fellow flight sim friend of mine actually removed the nose flaps altogether with his Rift S headset.

16 hours ago, laprid0 said:

One thing I haven't noticed other users bringing up as much - is how much light leaks into the HMD! I am lucky to see any at all on my original Vive - but on Cosmos light leaks from below where the rubber flap is meant to conform to users nose(?) I guess that's what it is meant for. Light leaks in through there from beneath...doesn't on Vive. From top it seems to leak right in onto the LENS?!? how did that get missed? it somehow comes in from behind if there is a light source above and behind you from something like ANY ceiling light you might be standing under or behind you. Has anyone mitigated this somehow?

Hay there,

Just curious, are you wearing glasses?

Thanks,

I have noticed the same thing, there is a gap around the nose of the Cosmos that light can peak in, versus the Vive which had none.  I don't mind it so much because like Tom I also use it to peak at my KB or general surroundings.  I don't wear glasses though.  

I remember reading in the Cosmos description that it fits better around glasses, so I imagine that's the cause.  I don't know if that part is modular but maybe have two different sizes for w/ glasses or w/o.  

• Like 1

Hey @laprid0,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll forward it to our internal team as a note. I initially had the same issue until I realized I was wearing it wrong (I was putting the halo strap way too low below my crown).

You can try checking out the user guide on our recommendation on how to best properly put on the headset. This will help minimize light leaks. Hope it helps you. 

Steve

@Justin Funk

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you're correct - our VIVE Cosmos has the largest face gasket compared to our previous headsets which makes it much more comfortable for eye-wear users. 

Interesting proposal on the modular approach for diff sizes. I'll send it over to our internal team as feedback in case it wasn't on their radar yet. 

Thanks again for sharing.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, C.T. said:

Hay there,

Just curious, are you wearing glasses?

Thanks,

I wear glasses and yeah, have the same light leaking around the nose issue but I also agree with another comment, I don’t mind it as it lets me peak at a tiny crack of the room around me without breaking the VR sensation too much. 

• Like 2