Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.7

C.T.

@TomCgcmfc,

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback. Regarding content, I'll forward it to our Content team over at Viveport. They are aware of this, but I'll escalate it and provide you updates when I hear back. Please feel free to follow up with me on this. 

Great observation on the pass-through camera. I've forwarded your field notes to the engineering team as a FYI in case they weren't aware.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. I have finally decided to keep my Cosmos and ride its current issues out.  At least for the next month or two.  In the meantime I will only use my Cosmos for flight and racing sims (which all work well without Cosmos controllers).  I'll  continue to use my good old Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors for everything else.  Fortunately most of my Viveport Infinity games work well with my Rift and, with a little super sampling, almost look almost as good as well.

• Like 1

well today was not good.

After several weeks with my Cosmos I thought we were getting to know each other pretty well. Playing games, watching films, loving it.

Today I get home from work and I've got about an hour free time before I better start getting ready to hit the sack.

I spent TWO hours trying to get myself out of the virtual ground. I'm saying my perspective on all apps was from the floor.No problem I thought, Ill just run room setup again....

I select it from the Vive Console,we go through the steps but every time when it gets to "Its time to put on your headset " ( I swear just saying it now makes me angry) it would just hang.

I expected the bit where you teach it where the floor is and then draw your boundaries....no, nothing, time after time after time.

Funny thing though I noticed the Steam VR window HAD THE TUTORIAL I WAS EXPECTING SHOWING ON THE SCREEN AS IF I WAS WATCHING THOUGH MY HEADSET....but on my headset was just the real world view.

That brings up another frustration.It sure makes it convoluted as F*^* to have to deal with 2 apps all the time with 2 sets of settings always starting together and exiting together but not really working together... 

I'm sorry folks, I'm angry, I'm very sleepy by now but I wanted to be sure I let someone know what a shit show I experienced on a system that should have already known what to do.I changed nothing externally,I did of course update the software....

I considered perhaps its my fault for using the BETA versions but I didn't want to not get the latest tracking updates you folks have been working on.

Sorry again,

JP

How can we setup the room orientation? I know it isn't important to most of the users since we don't use base stations now. I just want to face the TV instead of a wall when I play beatsaber. (I know there's an option in game to rotate but it's troublesome)

Hey @JonathanPeyton - Sorry to hear about the room setup issue you experienced. Were you able to get it resolved at the end of the day? If not, you can try opting out of Beta to check if you're still experiencing the same issue. Before you do, if you can send us an issue report, that'll help our engineering team view your logs and prevent this issue from happening again in the next update. Here are the instructions on how to do so: https://forum.vive.com/topic/6662-how-to-report-issue-through-vive-console/

Again, super sorry about the rough night. I'll submit a note to our engineering team regarding your issue and the feedback on the 2 apps running in parallel.

Hi @lamyipming - Thanks for your feedback. No, I totally understand and think this is very important. I'm continuing to push this internally. I'll make this happen don't worry. I will update you and the other thread regarding this when it's available. 

UPDATE regarding roomsetup orientation: 

In order to set your room orientation, you'll need the HMD facing that direction during room setup. The direction of the HMD during roomsetup is typically what sets the  forward orientation. The exception is if your room-scale is done in a portrait oriented room size, then it will point in the nearest direction of the long space of your playspace. 

This suggestion is a temporary solution. I understand this isn't ideal as there is no UI to indicate or clearly show the users orientation. This has been esclated internally and we will work on this. 

Hi everyone,

There's a new Beta release 1.0.7.1 that just came out. WOOHOO! For the Beta users, please check your VIVE Console to ensure you're on the newest version. We've addressed a few of your reported issues and feedback :). Not all of them just yet, but promise we are listening to each one of you and will get to them all as soon as we can. 

Please redirect yourself to the new thread link above to check out release notes. As always, please feel free to provide your honest feedback and any issues encountered. We are working to continue to improve your Cosmos experience. 

Thank you for your patience and support.

Steve

@Phr00t, @Hasp, @Dickytwo, @jegra45, @DoubtlessOne, @harryk, @A-Jey, @T, @TomCgcmfc, @jegra45, @Stopka, @joellipenta

• Like 1

I found that this happens when one of the windows services, VIVEPORT Desktop Service is not running.  You just need to go to your task manager services tab and scroll down to this, right click on it and select start.  Then restart viveport and it should allow you to update this.  I also found it was useful to drill down further from the services tab to it's service and change it properties to Auto.  Then it seems to startup this service properly whenever I restart my PC.  Anyway, here's the link I found (with very little googling) that helped me; https://service.viveport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019736511-VIVEPORT-update-service-is-currently-unable-to-start

Edited by TomCgcmfc
  • Thanks 1