Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.7

C.T.

2 hours ago, Phr00t said:

This update is definitely a step in the right direction. There is a noticeable improvement in tracking and field of view (which I report in more detail here). More improvement could be made in both areas, although tracking has further to go.

I think the biggest problem with tracking, at least for me, was controller obstruction. They wiggle and get stuck quite a bit when crossing paths, but it is better than v1.0.5 was. Headset tracking still had a little wobble to it.

Anyway, much more hopeful this thing can be fixed and looking forward to more updates. I'm keeping the Cosmos for a little while longer.

I'm glad you have noticed a FOV improvement.  I cannot see this but I'll take your word on it that.  It looks the same to me.

So, have you stuck with 1.0.7 for the better FOV or gone back to 1.0.5? Thanks.

Edited by TomCgcmfc

Bugs

1. In Vive Console's settings "Use VIVE Origin as your default VR home" is greyed out and can't be changed. VIVE Origin always starts and can't be disabled.

2. In Vivelens settings I have selected  as "Camera View" the "Transparent Colored Outline". Whenever I start VR the Camera view is the default "Normal Camera". I have to go to the Vivelens settings menu(just click the gear icon) for my camera to change to my selected "Transparent Colored Outline".

3. When the headset loses tracking and doesn't recognize where it's located related to the room, the controllers lose complete visual tracking and have only positional tracking from the sensors. They appear as floating somewhere and me being able to only roll them in place and click buttons. I have to go and look at identifying features in my room so my headset recognizes where it is and then the controllers start tracking again. The headset even when it has lost its relative position to the room, it can partially track as walking still moves me around in my Origin room. I would expect the controllers would still have full tracking in relation with the headset even when the headset wasn't sure where its own location was in the room. Making the controllers always track could help in fringe situations where the headset loses its bearings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

I'm glad you have noticed a FOV improvement.  I cannot see this but I'll take your word on it that.  It looks the same to me.

So, have you stuck with 1.0.7 for the better FOV or gone back to 1.0.5? Thanks.

The facial padding and flip-up design makes it difficult to maximize the field of view. Try pressing the headset to your face to get your eyes closer to the lens.

I'm sticking with v1.0.7 for now. Both the tracking and field of view seem better to me. Looking forward to more improvements, though.

Good for you mate. 

have tried pressing the Cosmos headset close to my face but I did not really see any significant improvements with either FOV or sweet spot.  It just made my headset kinda uncomfortable. 

Like you, I'm looking forward to further Cosmos firmware/software improvements. After current issues are sorted out I'm looking forward to trying out Wireless.

I tried doom vfr with the new update in a well lit environement( basement with a lot of led bulb)     and another game  but I was about to puke in less than 5 minutes  the  everytime I turn my head it is jittering ..    I have absolutely no issue with my  vive 2016. 

• Like 1

@jegra45 that's my experience exactly - i get a smoother view from my HP Windows Mixed Reality headset! and that's only two cameras? The HP "locks in" to the external visual environment way way faster too. I usually only have to look left, look right, look down and it's away. The Cosmos?!?! two-three minutes plus of looking around, up/down too dark, too bright. I can't work out how it is that WMR does it so simply, then a headset which I paid 4x more for can't seem to get it together. HTC should have just gone "we think lighthouse tracking is superior" - kept buying the tech from Valve and given us a killer product. Now (well maybe if the adapter ever arrives - and at WHAT price!!) we can maybe get that experience but it's going to cost more more more...I think the only way to let HTC know they have released an inferior product but tried to charge us - the community for something the Cosmos definitely ISN'T - is to return return return. This device isn't fit for purpose.

Honestly, I think the occlusion performance is still terrible. I don't have other issues though.

Vive engineers need to figure out how to do position tracking based on e.g. the arm of the user instead of solely by the light generated by the controllers. I mean, you guys manage to do finger tracking demos https://uploadvr.com/vive-cosmos-finger-tracking/, how about doing some tracking on the player's forearm when the controller's light is blocked.

Just some thoughts, I think Vive engineers knows more than me.

Edited by DoubtlessOne

I think it has now come to the stage when pre-order guys have to make a choice whether to keep this 'not fit for purpose as sold' headset.

For those that do, I would expect some sort of olive branch made by HTC for their faith. Whether that is a discount on the base station tracking module or something else, some gesture needs to be made.

Beyond all the crap, this product is a huge rip off as is. Even if HTC fix the tracking issues, how are you going to placate the people who pre-ordered this expecting so much more, even just something that worked out of the box?

• Like 1

...agreed. ive made my choice sitting in box next to my desk to return on my way home from work - i doubt HTC will do anything that implies liability or means they'd lose money...they want profit at all costs...and minimum cost to themselves to resolve this issue even if it means them pushing hardware in a direction it simply isnt designed to...eg making rgb cameras try and perform like b&w/ir...rip Cosmos...if only youd been given some more love on pre-release instead of this wreck...