Field of View: Not getting close to 110, vignette problems?

Phr00t

Hey @Fink,

I've been notified of an upcoming SW update for Beta users, but have not yet heard the details of improvements. When that does release, I'll be sure to respond here to inform you if any of the improvements mention the FOV. 

Thanks for following up!

Steve

fov-improved.thumb.png.404a9da09bd0ed6247f8fc8979185df3.png

I like the improvement made here!

Funny enough, my original FOVTester broke, so I actually had to write another one really quick (I'll get it up on github, full source, in the next day or two). Screenshot above, where you can see the measurement taken of the crosshair just getting lost in the vignette to the left.

My Odyssey+ can get the crosshair to about 50 or 51. I think we can get the Cosmos to 49 or 50 (which would give us another 2-4 degrees total horizontal FOV) by simply disabling the vignette altogether.

This is a perfect example on how you can increase the field of view of a headset with simple software updates! I hope this motivates your team to squeeze just a little more out here.

• Like 3

Hey @Phr00t,

Thanks for your feedback regarding this specific topic. I'll forward this to our engineering team. Once again, thanks for your feedback and support. We're listening to our customers and will continue to push updates to improve the Cosmos experience. 

Be on the lookout for future updates regarding this! 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

After using v1.8.0.3 beta, I'd consider this issue resolved! Disabling the vignette squeezes out another ~2 degrees horizontal to about 98 degrees, and it feels like that is as good as its going to get. The Odyssey+ is a hair better horizontally, but I think the Cosmos is better vertically and diagonally by a hair. Thank you and well done!

I will note, you really need thinner facial padding (or none) to really benefit from this. Thinner forehead padding is icing on the cake.

• Like 2

@Phr00t,

Thanks again for pointing this out in the first place. This is super helpful for us and the entire VIVE community! Please continue sharing any further feedback. We are listening and committed to doing what it takes to keep our customers & users satisfied. 

Thanks for the note - Stay tuned 😉 

Don't forget the VIVE Cosmos was designed as the first VR headset with a suite of modular options. 

Steve