Jump to content
 
jrmichel2000

Vive Pro + Wireless adapter: screen goes dark

Recommended Posts

Might seem like an odd question at this point, but has anyone contacted Vive support for this? If so, what did they say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn off all lights, LED, florescent, everything.

Anything that emits light, turn it off or block it. Mouse, keyboard, ceiling fan light, router light, printer light.... everything.

Play in pitch black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, It'sToast said:

Turn off all lights, LED, florescent, everything.

Anything that emits light, turn it off or block it. Mouse, keyboard, ceiling fan light, router light, printer light.... everything.

Play in pitch black.

Are you serious or being sarcastic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 7:19 AM, jrmichel2000 said:

Might seem like an odd question at this point, but has anyone contacted Vive support for this? If so, what did they say?

I'm three days into troubleshooting this with HTC support, and I'll post again with updates. They've had me clear Steam cache, delete some files, clear the USB drivers, and make a bunch of system reports, but so far nothing has helped. They also had me test wired, which works fine. When I reproduced this most recently it took 2m30s before it went black. Wireless used to be rock solid for me for weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2020 at 1:24 PM, halcyonWas said:

I'm three days into troubleshooting this with HTC support, and I'll post again with updates. They've had me clear Steam cache, delete some files, clear the USB drivers, and make a bunch of system reports, but so far nothing has helped. They also had me test wired, which works fine. When I reproduced this most recently it took 2m30s before it went black. Wireless used to be rock solid for me for weeks.

After a few more troubleshooting sessions with HTC, they agreed that it's worth trying to replace/repair the wireless adapter itself.

Things we tried: 

* Using wired mode (worked, no black screen)

* Clearing SteamVR cache (Steam UI -> Library -> Tools, right click on SteamVR, select Properties, click Local Files, click Verify Integrity of Tool Cache)

* Manually clearing SteamVR settings (delete steamapps/common/SteamVR/resources/settings/default.vrsettings, Steam/config/steamvr.settings Steam/config/lighthouse/lighthousedb.json)

* Reinstalling USB drivers (SteamVR -> Drop down -> Developer -> Developer Settings -> Remove all SteamVR USB devices)

* Using the wired cable between the HMD and adapter (too long, no signal)

* Trying a different battery pack

* Trying a different USB cable for power

* Testing over and over (I discovered that the black screen ALWAYS happened 5m22s +/- 1 second after turning the battery pack on)

* Discovering a workaround: once the black screen happens, waiting ~2m15s for it to fix itself

 

I'll add that I was friendly and patient with the reps (all over chat) and they were friendly and patient with me, and didn't push back on replacing the hardware. However, I let them do all the troubleshooting steps they recommended and was willing to entertain the notion that it might work.

Edited by halcyonWas
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, so I struggled with this for several days, and it looks like I got it. It was a SteamVR issue. In the SteamVR drop menu, under "Developer" I went to "Developer Settings" and was able to "Enable Direct Display Mode" from there. That seems to have done it.

It seems to be related to the new SteamVR sleep settings, that it's putting the screens to sleep. I set both my controllers and screens to 5 minute sleep, and with the controllers sitting dead still and me moving the headset around, they all turned off at exactly the same time.

So for some reason it seems "Direct Display Mode" seems to circumvent this or something? Not sure why. Also not sure why Steam didn't include a "Never Turn Off Displays" option. This would explain why tracking and sound work still while the screen is black though.

I hope this helps someone. And if I come across a related issue, I'll update here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 time to join th4e party my self and see if i can find anything out im stating to have the saem issues

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Guy W. said:

Hey all, so I struggled with this for several days, and it looks like I got it. It was a SteamVR issue. In the SteamVR drop menu, under "Developer" I went to "Developer Settings" and was able to "Enable Direct Display Mode" from there. That seems to have done it.

It seems to be related to the new SteamVR sleep settings, that it's putting the screens to sleep. I set both my controllers and screens to 5 minute sleep, and with the controllers sitting dead still and me moving the headset around, they all turned off at exactly the same time.

So for some reason it seems "Direct Display Mode" seems to circumvent this or something? Not sure why. Also not sure why Steam didn't include a "Never Turn Off Displays" option. This would explain why tracking and sound work still while the screen is black though.

I hope this helps someone. And if I come across a related issue, I'll update here.

@halcyonWas

@tfmjonny

@Krogenit

You've all done a whole lot of testing and troubleshooting on this. Can you perhaps try this approach and report back in case it resolved the issue for you as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2020 at 7:16 AM, jrmichel2000 said:

@halcyonWas

@tfmjonny

@Krogenit

You've all done a whole lot of testing and troubleshooting on this. Can you perhaps try this approach and report back in case it resolved the issue for you as well?

I got my wireless adapter back after ~7-10 days (and had to wait for an unrelated repair of my headset, which was ~5 days), but it still happened! 

 

I'll try "enable direct display mode" if it's not enabled for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...