Displayport

xPriime

So i just bought the Vive Cosmos and tried to Set it up when i found out that my Laptop dosent have a normal or a Mini Displayport (Big OOF ) is it possible to use a cable that connects the Linkbox with HDMI? 

I found some that are Mini Displayport to  HDMI 

3 hours ago, xPriime said:

So i just bought the Vive Cosmos and tried to Set it up when i found out that my Laptop dosent have a normal or a Mini Displayport (Big OOF ) is it possible to use a cable that connects the Linkbox with HDMI? 

I found some that are Mini Displayport to  HDMI 

No, that is never going to work because those adaptors will never supply enough bandwidth.  If your laptop has a proper DP capable Thunderbolt 3 connector that is connected directly to your dGPU (not iGPU) you may be able to use an adaptor for this, but this does not always work well.  So I think you are going to have to return your Cosmos or buy a better PC (preferably a gaming desktop).  Next time do yourself a favour and do a bit more research before buying.  This will save you a lot of time and money.

• Thanks 1

@xPriime - Tom is correct, you need native Displayport 1.2+ support to drive the Vive Cosmos (or any current gen HMD such as the Index, Rift S, Pimax, Ect.... They all require Displayport 1.2+).

And HMDI port cannot drive DP 1.2+; it's bandwidth is too low.

@xPriime - What is your specific laptop's model number? I can take a look into seeing if there is a way to get a DP 1.2+ signal out of the available ports.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Del G5 15 Core i7-9750H CPU, 16GB of RAM, a 512GB SSD and RTX 2060 graphics.  Was informed its specifically for Gaming and OK to use with VIVE PRO EYE.  I can only find HMDI port.  At the risk of looking like I haven't researched enough and need to buy another laptop with the right ports...do I???

@aa7696 - Is this this model? The spec page specifically says that USB-C port has DP support. I would generally recommend going into Nvida's Control Panel -> PhysX. It will show the port mapping on that laptop and allow you to confirm that the port is connected to the Nvida GPU and not just the integrated GPU. Some OEMs only wire their USB-C ports to the integrated graphics as a cost saving measure.

Per the USB-C adapter you've linked - it meets the requirements on paper. I don't have any experience with that specific "brand" of USB-C -> DP adapter but it seems to be the same generic hardware that's sold under a few different brands. This is a similar generic brand which is sold/rebranded under the brand Nekteck on the US amazon store - it also meets the specs on paper.

image.thumb.png.e9e53fe44549117cf626bb9688c18528.png

• 4 months later...