Base Station on suction cups?

azpiazu

Hi all, just bought myself a Vive.

I live in a rented appartment with some flatmates, and we cannot drill the walls, and I was thinking about possible solutions to place BSs, and placing them on camera mounts with suction cups would be a good idea. Has anyone tried this before? 

It would be to attach it to a regular wall, so not a flat polished surface. Don't know if there's any suction cup that is not expensive (some €30 for a couple of them) and can be attached to walls.

My idea is to be able to move it whenever I needed, so I prefer suction cups rather than double sided sticky tape (I know there are some that are really strong and would work, but I would only use this as a last resort.

Suction cups might work, although they'd need a lot of... suck.

You might also want to look at portable light stands. These are the ones I use - don't get confused like I did, there's two in the bag (I ordered two sets... doh). 

Apart from obviously not damaging your walls, the other advantage is that you can easily move the lighthouses if you need to adjust them for any reason. :)

Whatever you decide, let us know the outcome - and welcome to VR, !

Yes! Thanks . Totally forgot about those 'ball heads'. 

I actually managed to 'duct tape' my lighthouses to the walls when I first got them as a temporary measure, but after a day one almost fell off. They're heavier than you might think!

I went for suctions cups. Might try the stands if I see this is not good enough. But it was the best I could find today. For light stands I'd have to buy online, and wouldn't get them until Tuesday.

And yes, I thought abouth the "ball heads" (I didn't know the name in English, in Spanish is like "kneecap": "rótula") since the stations have to face down.

Right now I have an old camera, aprox. 2/3 the weight of the stations, attached to a suction cup, on a windows, and I'll see how long it takes to fall down (if it even does).

The other one will be on a shelf, so it's quite safe.

I'll get back with the outcome of my experiment in some hours hahaha

So here I am again... It worked perfectly. The suction cups are still attached to the window and shelf, and the one in the window even supportes a piggybak full of coins for more than 1 hour while I was setting everything up, so I can say it's pretty good. I will leave it all night (no base station attached, but some weight on it) just to test it.

It's a "compact suction mount", according to the box. It is the type used in action cameras to stick it in windshields and so on. They already have the screw mount.

It's been there for 17 hours already, and still no signs of having been moved a milimiter. I hanged some 3 kg during all night (some 6 hours) and still there.

I really recommend it if you don't want to drill, and you have clean smooth surfaces available (windows, mirrors, varnished wood...). I might buy light mounts as some suggested since I won't be able to do this always, but at least I know this works.

Luckily, I have power sockets on each corner in the livingroom, so no cables are in the middle. Unluckily, I can't use the livingroom, since my flatmates use it, so tomorrow I'll have to move everything to my room, and there I can only play in a seated/standing setup, and no room one.

Archived