HTC Vive Focus Plus screen projection on external device

Tobias

@VibrantNebula - the following tests that i did in the previous post were on 1080. i also tried updating an old computer 1809 version to 1909 and turns out it is unable to connect using the connect app (it could work before). but it still able to connect to my samsung s10+ when the firewalls are turned off.

but overall thanks for the reply ^^

Good morning, having similar problems with casting.  HTC Vive Focus plus trying to cast to either a Samsung Smart TV or Firestick 4K.  Headset finds each of them without a problem, says "connecting", then after a few seconds refreshes the list.  Running all on 5Ghz WiFi.  Any help is appreciated

@JustinVive

@dwig@novo  What are the models of the Samsung Smart TV and the Firestick 4K?   Not all of these models support the Miracast standard. The Focus Plus requires Miracast to work. You can find out if they do or not by visiting the manufacturer's website. 

If they do say that Miracast is supported let me know the model numbers and I'll chat with my team. 

@dwig@novo  -

• Alot of the Samsung SmartTVs don't have true Miracast support and more recent models try to funnel all casting through Samsung's proprietary SmartThings app over their proprietary SmartThings format. Basically casting on Samsung TV's is pretty proprietary but it really depends on which specific model you're using as Justin said.
  • Screen casting support on the Fire Stick products seems to historically be a little hit and miss. Screen casting performance on the first gen stick was widely considered to be not great - I can't find any reports of people talking about their Mira-casting experiences with the newer 4K SKU.
    • What resolution setting do you have your TV set to within the Fire Stick's settings (Settings -> Display)? Try 1080p and 720p specifically

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:29 PM, JustinVive said:

@dwig@novo  What are the models of the Samsung Smart TV and the Firestick 4K?   Not all of these models support the Miracast standard. The Focus Plus requires Miracast to work. You can find out if they do or not by visiting the manufacturer's website. 

If they do say that Miracast is supported let me know the model numbers and I'll chat with my team. 

Thank you for the reply!

The Samsung TV model is QB55R

The Firestick 4K model is E9L29Y

Interestingly enough, I tried an older firestick (not 4K) and was able to get it to work flawlessly.  I had not updated the firmware on this older one in awhile (it's 5.2.7.2) but it's working great.  I'm going to avoid updating the firmware.

Edited by dwig@novo
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 5:29 PM, VibrantNebula said:

@dwig@novo  -

• Alot of the Samsung SmartTVs don't have true Miracast support and more recent models try to funnel all casting through Samsung's proprietary SmartThings app over their proprietary SmartThings format. Basically casting on Samsung TV's is pretty proprietary but it really depends on which specific model you're using as Justin said.
  • Screen casting support on the Fire Stick products seems to historically be a little hit and miss. Screen casting performance on the first gen stick was widely considered to be not great - I can't find any reports of people talking about their Mira-casting experiences with the newer 4K SKU.
    • What resolution setting do you have your TV set to within the Fire Stick's settings (Settings -> Display)? Try 1080p and 720p specifically

Thank you for the reply!

Tried varying the resolutions with no success.

Interestingly enough, I tried an older firestick (not 4K) and was able to get it to work flawlessly.  I had not updated the firmware on this older one in awhile (it's 5.2.7.2) but it's working great.  I'm going to avoid updating the firmware.

Edited by dwig@novo