HDCP Error

Hypnogic

This started happening to me this week when I upgraded my GPU from GTX 970 to RTX 2070 Super. It's happening on both versions of the drivers (the only two drivers available for 2070 Super 431.36 and 431.60. Another difference in my set up is that now I am connecting using HDMI, rather than HDMI-DP-mini.

I think this might be driver-related, but I'm not sure. This is not happening all the time, but I'm able to force the problem when I'm playing Blade and Sorcery and someone casts lighthing spell. The Vive goes black (it's still displaying fine on the screen) and if I play for long enough, SteamVR reports the errors with HDCP. The problem with the black screen also happened today in SteamHome

Would appreciate any ideas.

This is very strange. HDCP is supposed to be a content protection mechanism built into HDMI, essentially a hardware DRM solution. Franlky, it doesn't work particularly well, but it is an inherent component with HDMI cables and ports as well as some other connection standards. As for why it would pop up during specific events during the game, that's even more puzzling. If it's specific to certain titles, perhaps other users have experienced similar issues while playing those titles?

On 7/31/2019 at 1:12 PM, Synthesis said:

This is very strange. HDCP is supposed to be a content protection mechanism built into HDMI, essentially a hardware DRM solution. Franlky, it doesn't work particularly well, but it is an inherent component with HDMI cables and ports as well as some other connection standards. As for why it would pop up during specific events during the game, that's even more puzzling. If it's specific to certain titles, perhaps other users have experienced similar issues while playing those titles?

Thanks for your reponse @Synthesis. After a week of troubleshooting I found out that my issue (black screen sometimes resulting in HDCP error) only happens when my HTC Vive is connected via HDMI cable to my graphics card (RTX 2070 Super). The issue doesn't occur when Vive is connected to my old GTX 970. In addition, the issue doesn't occur when HTC Vive is connected to my RTX via HDMI-DP cable. So the problem is either linked with the HDMI port on my RTX (which I doubt, as I can connect other monitors to it and it displays fine) or that Nvidia has some unhandled exception in RTX Super cards (which I am still trying to get to acknowledge).

Based on what I just said and on the troubleshooting (new drivers, old drivers, removing drivers using DDU, trying different cables, trying different connections) do you think that this is a headset issue?

• 1 month later...

Im having the same issue. screen goes black on my Vive whenever I move the headset at all. HDCP error pops up and sometimes I have to restart steamVR to even get the screen to turn back on. I've had my Vive for about 5 months and nothing has changed about my computer setup. I've tried restarting the headset, the power box, trying different hdmi cords, updating the nvidia driver, and then rolling it back to a earlier version and it still doesnt work. My Vive is unusable at this point...

SteamVR-2019-09-06-PM_11_15_19.txt

@Synthesis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.. New to the forums.. 

Recently I've encountered the same issue.. Started off with the HMD going black screen at intermittent rate.. It will also cause the lighthouse to disconnect from SteamVR (although lighthouse is green state) 

Then eventually it just stopped showing. After researching and doing steps found online (reset USB, replug etc) I came to conclusion that it was the 3-in-1 cable specifically the HDMI portion (ps: mine is a used unit) 

I tried the HDMI cables (both pc-link box & link box-HMD).. Surprisingly it works (with my PS4).. 

I then bought a separate HDMI to try connecting the link box to HMD.. Now it shows HDCP error but the lighthouse doesn't get disconnected

I'm away from my Pc for these few days.. Once I'm able to get back.. I'll upload the report log

Currently my pc is a Ryzen 1700 + 2070 Super

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue now.  HTC Vive has a black screen.  Replaced drivers, tried settings, cables, etc.  My Vive was not even 1 year old, and they still would not fix my headset under warranty.  They found excuses to charge me $270, and it took them almost 1 month to return the Headset to us.  Now it still does not work.

So I had a similar experience as some of these posts.  The Vive started going black fro a few seconds, then it would come back.  So i ignored the issue because i knew HTC Vive would be a pain in the *ss to deal with.  Then I started seeing streaks of yellow / green line lights going across the Headset screen horizontally.  It just kept getting worse and more frequent until it would not light up at all.  That is when I returned it.

The odd thing is when I hook up my other laptop (not a gaming laptop) to my headset, it lights up just fine, and i can see videos on YouTube albiet in double vision through the headset.  So I know the headset is likely fine.

What is causing this HDCP error to keep showing up on the Stearm VR software?  Has anyone resolved it yet?  See attached system report,

SteamVR-2019-11-28-AM_11_39_24.txt

@VibrantNebula @jagibson

@RVal - I strongly suspect that this is related to your GPU. Since you've tested on another PC, it's a pretty good sign that the issue is localized to your PC. The SteamVR log is showing a ton of errors referencing an "invalid FrameIndex" but there's no indication before or after the message gets spammed out that it's getting tripped up at a specific step. This is an advanced problem - I'm not sure I personally have the skills to fully debug this remotely without physically accessing the PC but here are a few ideas that come to mind:

• This could be related to interpolation - try disabling motion smoothing and all reprojection via SteamVR's setting pages and see if it alters the behavior.
  • Is your GPU overclocked? Are the operating temperatures within an acceptable range? Do you have a strong enough power supply to power your GPU at full load?
  • You possibly could have a bad GPU - do high demanding 2D games render properly after heavy load for extended periods? Based on your overall description - I think a bad GPU is a very strong suspect here.
  • You could have your GPU mounted in your motherboard on a weird slot or your BIOS settings could be limiting it's performance.
  • You could try clean installing windows to start from scratch to try and eliminate any issues specific to your current OS setup. I personally recommend reinstalling windows every few months for best performance.

I'd also recommend X-posting in the SteamVR forums as the folk over there may have some additional input.

image.png.3abdebf6955c5e0498ec32b98d2e6386.png

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone figured this out yet?  We still have this same issue for two (2) months now, and no one seems to have an adequate solution.  I have done Factory Reset, Reinstalled Windows 10 twice, BIOS Firmware update, and many other things with Drivers and Settings.  Nothing works.  I plug headset into another laptop, and it lights right up, but that laptop does not have adequate for HTC Vive to allow it to configure. 

Please note, my HDMI port works fine when I plug laptop to TV.  No errors on GPU in Device Manager.  I can see the VR games playing on my laptop, but it just won't light up the headset and display the games.

I read so many other posts on other websites, and some people resolved it with older GPU Driver versions, but none of those older Drivers seem to work for my system.  I attached updated system files.  Could anyone help?

SteamVR-2019-12-18-PM_02_36_09.txt msinfo32.nfo

@jagibson