HTC Focus Thoughts and questions

henrikvrtraveler

Hi!

After spending some time with this new headset, I have a few things to mention.

We experience a bit of a blurry and distorted feeling from the screen, to my knowledge this has been reported by others and the fix is to squeeze the headset closer to the face. I've heard you are working on this, that's great!

The other feeling I have is that the leather ring contacting the face might be a bit too hard, the notches on each side (What I think are for glasses) let light through. I wear glasses myself, but I do believe we can easily live without the notches. A softer ring without the notches would probably be the best idea to get a better seal around the face. The light is very annoying, as it reflects on the lenses.

The controller is not very good at being tracked, I don't understand exactly what is causing this. As I don't believe this is tracked from the headset anyway? It's just pure sensors in the controller? Perhaps some kind of filter where it would try to detect false data in real time, would be something that either we could implement in our game engine or you in the firmware.

The back strap becomes very loose quickly, at this point it's not very reliable. We don't know if it will keep the tight grip, or just spin back and fall off. (HTC Vive seems to work nicely, perhaps the same system as implemented there would be better?)

Other than that, great headset I love the features and I believe some small tweaks in the software and on the headset itself would make this the best headset on the market right now for stand alone applications.

Perhaps you could shed some light on the plans for these issues, so that we can plan our strategy ahead accordingly?

(tag added by moderator)

Hi  ,

Kindly thanks for your valuable feedbacks, and I've passed internally for our design team for improvement reference. I'll keep you posted for any new upgrade plan.

BTW, here you mention is Focus with only one 3Dof controller, correct? 

Have you got chance also to try Focus Plus with 2 6Dof controllers to see if most of your feedbacks are positive and improved?

Thanks.

- to add some clarification, there are several hardware changes within the Focus Plus as it's a newer hardware SKU. Focus Plus has a different lens/display setup and thus it has a different (and improved) distortion profile than the original Focus Devkit due to some changes in the physical design.

Tony is curious if you're feedback is specific to the original Focus kit or the Focus Plus so he can contextuailze your comments to the correct hardware. 

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, was home sick with a cold. Funny how that happens when the summer arrives with hot weather, hehe.

We use the Regular Focus, with the single controller. Our project requires the single controller, we do not want nor need two controllers, our project is specifically designed for the one controller in mind. And the less stress for our users when using our application the better, hence why the one controller is perfect.

So we use the regular Focus kit.

If the Plus has hardware changes, perhaps an option to purchase with the standard controller would be an option?

Edit:

I also want to mention I went on the live chat with you before buying, and both I and the customer support representative could not find any changes other than the controllers. That also affected the decision to purchase the regular kit, we did want to confirm the hardware was the same.

Hi  ,

I'm not sure which information you receive from our customer support center.

All I can share with you that it's not compatible if you use 6Dof controller with Focus HMD.

Focus Plus adopt ultrasound technology between HMD and controller, so you can see some small holes both on HMD and controller. These are the sensors of ultrasound. 

We keep the outlook highly similar between Focus and Focus Plus, but inside some components and specs are improved on Focus Plus. For example, better weight balance, distortion improvement etc.

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Hi  ,

To clarify more deeper, the protocol between Focus / FinchDash via BLE and it's rotation info. is basically from IMU. For Focus Plus / Chirp controllers, the protocol is 2.4G proprietary communication with ultrasound to calculate related position data with HMD. 

If you still want to use Focus Plus to simulate 3Dof controller behavior , you can refer below link to disable the position data from 6Dof controller setting.

https://hub.vive.com/storage/app/doc/en-us/WaveVR_PoseTracker.html

But still the controller is Chirp, not FinchDash. :)