Vive Pro cable female-to-female adapter

Zxaber

Is there an adapter to connect two Vive Pro cables together?

I have the wireless adapter, and it works fairly well for what it is. No latency, but I get random drops in quality fairly often. The video quality usually jumps back up shortly after, and far as I'm concerned, it's a worthwhile trade to not be tangled up after too many spins.

But for simulation games where I'm sitting in a seat and don't need to worry about the cable, it would be nice to swap back to wired to lose the random quality drops. Unfortunately, the conversion process is a bit of a pain (and I'd worry about the adhesive holding the foam wearing out), and the wireless adapter doesn't have a pass-through port. If I had a female-to-female adapter, though, I could unplug the cable from the wireless unit and connect it to the long cable leading to the linkbox.

We haven't created a F->F adapter as the length of the stock tether is pushing right up against the limits of what DP1.2 can handle. If we released a F->F adapter, customers would attempt to daisy chain tethers together and it wouldn't work at all resulting in frustrating UX and a customer service logistical problem.

When I swap between wired and wireless for debugging/testing, I just leave the wireless adapter in place and simply unplug the teather from the adapter to the HMD and then plug in the standard tether (via the linkbox). If you remove the wireless adapter each time; that's going to add extra steps and it may not really make a difference in your UX since you'll primarily be seated. The extra bulk on top of the HMD won't affect you in the same way it would if you were playing a movement heavy game like holopoint so removing it is less important. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue as the author of this thread. I do leave the wireless adapter on the hedset, but pluging/unpluging either is a pain, since it is hard to access the plugin on the head set as it is not out in the open. I see what you mean about the cable length limit. As someone that works support, I get that it you made a F-F adapter you would get the blame when people use it for things it isn't made for. As an alternive, what about a short M-F cable, just long enough to go from the headset plug to the end of the cable 'clip' on the left side of the unit, and a short M-M cable to go from the wireless unit to the female end of the other cable. Ya, people could, and some probably will, chain 100 of the short M-F cables together, but with the cable that short I would think they would be extreamly few.  

• 1 year later...

Now almost a year later, I am hoping that an F->F adapter is possible @HackPerception. I understand the length explination, but if Vive sells a $599.00 20m extension cable (https://www.vive.com/us/accessory/extension-package-20m/), it seems as if adding my short wireless adapter cable to the end of the provided propitiatory Vive display cable should be more than possible.  I understand that it is called a display port cable, but it is physically different than a display port cable and I am not sure a mini C cable adapter (my next best guess) would work to bridge the two cables together.  The mini C looks like it may not be  wide enough and HTC/Vive has created their own display cable.  I am also looking for an easier way to swap back and forth between tethered and wireless.