HTC Vive Wireless with Optitrack Flex 13 Motion Tracking

PrismVR

I'm designing a VR room with the dimensions of W=8meters, L=11meters, H=3.6meters. These measurements are the room dimensions. The playing area will be smaller by a bit. I will be using OptiTrack Flex 13 motion trackers with Steam OpenVR Driver and streaming tracking data through OptiTrack's Motive software. The Vive HMD will be tagged with passive 3M 7610 reflective material for tracking.

I'm trying to find a solution for Vive 5m tether, restricting the playable area. One option would be to use a VR backpack PC. A more intseresting option is the Vive Wireless adapter. 

When it comes to the wireless adapter. What are the hardware limitations? What is the max distance the receiver can be from the transmitter?  Is there any knows issues with using the wireless adapter and OptiTrack tracking hardware?

I'm sending an email to the address associated with your account 

In short, there are no known conflicts (Vive Wireless is RF based, Optitrack is IR based) and we state the range of the adapter to be 6m (but you can mount it in some creative ways to cover large areas). 

• 10 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 12:54 AM, VibrantNebula said:

I'm sending an email to the address associated with your account 

In short, there are no known conflicts (Vive Wireless is RF based, Optitrack is IR based) and we state the range of the adapter to be 6m (but you can mount it in some creative ways to cover large areas). 

Hello,

Doing the same, but with Optitrack Primex13 series. (10 of them), 6x6m play area, 3m high truss system. Full skeleton tracking, with active pucks.

Decided to go with the HTC wireless adapter, not backpacks. There gonna be only 2 players at the same time.

Did not choose the HMD yet. Maybe we go w the Cosmos, bacause it has hand tracking, so we can utilize that inside the VR environment.

Can you send me some instructions too?

Thx in advance.

@csabal Instructions for what part of the tech stack? If you're talking about the Optitrack hybridization - that support comes from Optitrack. We do not work with Optitrack to develop their hybridized tracking solutions - that's solely their effort and it technically is a competitive tracking solution to the tracking solutions we're integrating into our products. 

14 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@csabal Instructions for what part of the tech stack? If you're talking about the Optitrack hybridization - that support comes from Optitrack. We do not work with Optitrack to develop their hybridized tracking solutions - that's solely their effort and it technically is a competitive tracking solution to the tracking solutions we're integrating into our products. 

I just curious if there something special, what we have to watch. For example I am not sure that the Vive wireless could work without the basestations.

But we gonna test, test, test anyway. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 6:32 PM, VibrantNebula said:

Hi.

Is it possible to use the Vive Wireless adapter features, without SteamVR? Just stream the picture wireless to the HMDs.

@csabal I don't think you can do this with wireless in any sort of customer or developer capacity as it's a pretty proprietary system that's designed to do a very specific thing. Optitrack in the past has been able to hybridize headsets from both Vive and Oculus but I'm only personally aware of them doing so on wired solutions. In any case, Optitrack is a separate business and thus nobody I can access within Vive is likely too deeply familiar with their current offerings.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to add that the Optitrack OpenVR driver works with the Vive, Vive Pro so as with any custom tracking driver (e.g. Cosmos) the wirelesss adapter should work via SteamVR. Also hand tracking is equally available for Vive Cosmos, Vive Pro and even OG Vive (with depth limitation).