Compatibility: Vive Wireless Adapter

So, initially when I purchased the HTC Vive Pro, I spent some decent money to have a PC with support for DisplayPort and a good graphics card. Apparently my fairly pricey laptop that I had purchased earlier in the year only had HDMI. Fair enough.

But then after a month or so of enjoying the VR experience, decided I wanted to go untethered. So I spend around 2 months (where I live is a fairly remote country) and $500ish to get the wireless adapter + the Pro adapter for wireless. Finally get everything in to discover that it requires no longer a DisplayPort, but now I need a PCIe slot, which my newly purchased PC does not have. 

Who had the crazy idea of not making the Vive Wireless Adapter plug directly into the same place you plug in the Vive headset?? That would seem to be the more common sensical route to go. Instead, you no longer need your previously purchased hardware (i.e. DisplayPort). Wow. Just wow. How many people spent a couple grand on a new laptop (something which was designed for mobility) to discover they can't go wireless?

In the name of progress, here is what I suggest for Vive:

Option A: Make an adapter for the wireless adapter which plugs into the hardware sent with the original vive gear. 

OR

Option B: Add a comment in the Important section of the Vive headset requirements which let's people know to consider getting a PC with a PCIe slot. That would be a good time to bring it up. (Perhaps a temporary fix??)

It's sitting at 3.5 stars on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Vive-Wireless-Adapter-PC/dp/B07GKHNBCT#customerReviews

Looking through the comments, this is a recurring issue. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

On its own, HTC Vive, with its room-scale VR capability, offers an immersive VR experience that transports you into virtual worlds. However, there’s an ever-present cable you must keep track of that keeps you tethered to the real world. The Vive Wireless Adapter solves that problem and allows you to forget about the physical world and experience VR without worrying about stepping on or tripping over a wire.

The freedom that the Vive Wireless Adapter offers makes the headset feel like a whole new product. It is wonderfully freeing to play a game like Sword Master VR, where you’re constantly spinning around to engage opponents that sneak up on your flank, or Space Pirate Trainer, where you’re always moving frantically. VR is all about immersion, and to me, the tether cable dangling at my feet has always been the biggest distraction from the virtual world.

For more information about vive and other visit Data Recovery Dubai

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-order the cosmos, but until now I can´t check if I will be able to use it with my Vive Pro wireless adapter upon arrive. Look like will need a cable adapter that is unavaliable for pre-order.

Why HTC dont send the Cosmos with this cable, for those us that just have the wireless adapter ?

Will be very fustrating Get Cosmos and can´t use it because the lack of special cable adapter for my wireless. I´m go wireless and I just can´t step back to cables.

I hope HTC are resonable with the loyal user, that just have your wireless solution, and include in the Cosmos package all cable necessary to use with the wireless adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the adapter kit on a UK website and it looks like just a smaller pad, the clip to go around the head strap that you already have, and the cable which I believe is the exact same as the vive pro one.  I think if desired you could just trim up or cut the pad to fit for the cosmos.  The software recognizing the Cosmos will be the trick, however being that the unit is on sale already, and I just received a software update for the wireless software,  perhaps we are in luck.  Crossed fingers.  See the link below with part number.  If you search the part number, you will see several vendors who have the same listing in Europe.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/htc-vive-wireless-adapter-clip-for-cosmos-vr-headsets-99h12185-00-vr-014-hc.html

3 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@DevDoc @Leo_BH, There is a difference in the Cosmos attach kit beyond the shape of the foam padding. The Pro/Cosmos use the same cable format & connector, that's not really a barrier.

The main compatibility barrier is the battery. The battery that shipped with the original kit outputs 17V as the Pro and OG Vive have a 17V requirement. The Cosmos HMD has a higher 21V power requirement. The Cosmos specific wireless attach kit contains a 21V-out QC battery.

@DevDoc I'm asking our product team about the listing you linked - I'd avoid that listing at this time as it doesn't address the voltage differential.

So what I'm seeing is the Wireless adapter wont be compatible on release unless you have the Vive Pro Kit and have a 21v-Out Qc Battery? Any word on release of the Cosmos kit? 

Maybe just me but the wireless option does not interest me whatsoever because I'm mostly playing PCVR flight and racing sims.  So, tethered is not a problem for me.  All PCVR users that I know get along fine with tethered as well.  The last thing I need is a heavy wireless addon that is not going to do much for me and is likely to have a slight negative impact on performance.  Just my opinion btw.  I'm looking forward to getting my pre-ordered Cosmos soon and trying out the new Vive VR system.

Edited by TomCgcmfc

2 minutes ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Maybe just me but the wireless option does not interest me whatsoever because I'm mostly playing PCVR flight and racing sims.  So, tethered is not a problem for me.  All PCVR users that I know get along fine with tethered as well.  The last thing I need is a heavy wireless addon that is not going to do much for me and is likely to have a slight negative impact on performance.  Just my opinion btw.

Kind of a pointless post.. Ok you have an opinion that's off topic.. If wireless doesn't interest you then why are you here? Besides to inject you opinion.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Vanityassassin said:

Kind of a pointless post.. Ok you have an opinion that's off topic.. If wireless doesn't interest you then why are you here? Besides to inject you opinion.

Sorry but I thought that was the point of an open forum.  Sorry that my post seemed off topic and pointless but your post seems pretty rude to me.  I think we need to keep this forum a bit more friendly.  Thanks.