Left-Hand Controller does not appear to work in ControllerManager Sample Scene in HTC.UnityPlugin

Hollowhead

Left-Hand Controller does not appear to work in ControllerManager Sample Scene in HTC.UnityPlugin. I cannot get the teleport action to work in the ControllerManager Sample scene.

When Vive Focus is set to work for the Right-Hand Controller everything works fine. When set to the Left-Hand Controller only the model of the controller appears, nothing else occurs.

EDIT: I just noticed there is a separate sub-forum in for the htc vive input plugin. The moderator of this forum may move this post to that sub-forum if necessary.

A fresh project with a fresh template does not experience this error. It appears to be some setting I changed in the Unity project I'm working on unrelated to the scene. So the controllermanager sample scene does work properly with a fresh project, but not my project. I am trying to figure out which change to the project configuration caused this. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I was wrong about my assumptions. There was nothing wrong with my settings.

After more tests, I concluded that the Input Plugin breaks between v1.10.2 and v1.10.3 for the left-hand controller.

https://github.com/ViveSoftware/ViveInputUtility-Unity/commits/develop

Unity 2018.1.9f1
Wave SDK 2.1.8
Works -----> Vive Input Utility 1.10.2

Unity 2018.1.9f1
Wave SDK 2.1.8

Breaks -----> Vive Input Utility 1.10.3

---

Also, as an aside...and I think this is unrelated to my particular problem...the newest Wave SDK for Unity (3.0.2) does not work with the latest Vive Input utility for Unity (1.10.3), some error pops up about "dominant" v. "non-dominant" instead of left v. right. 

, I did as you suggested and it successfully built using the latest Input Utility version and the latest Vive Wave SDK.

I am still unable to get the laser pointer and teleport functionality to work in controllermanagersample scene from the Input Utility plugin, which is what I'm really interested in because I am borrowing that setup for my app. In fact, when I use the latest Input Utility Version and the latest Vive Wave SDK it breaks completely and I cannot use the functionality featured in controllermanagersample scene, using any button, for either controller.

There is no comparable sample scene in the latest Vive Wave SDK sample scene package.

I used the Wave VR Button List prefab to restore some functionality to the controllermanagersample scene:

https://hub.vive.com/storage/app/doc/en-us/WaveVR_ButtonList.html

I was able to restore functionality in the right controller, but the buttons on the left controller still do not work.

In the simulator, the trigger button for left and right controller work, but the menu/app button for both controllers does not work.

Hi  ,

In ControllerManager_Test sample, there is only right hand controller in the scene. Developer can see only 1 ControllerLoader with type “Dominant” in scene.
So even if you use both controllers, only 1 controller is shown in scene.

This is normal.

Thanks.

I haven’t explained myself clearly. I was not precise. Let me try again

There was template code that I found in the sample scenes for HTC Unity Input Plugin found on the Unity Asset Store and on Github which I found to be very useful. I found the teleport and laser pointer functionality to be useful and I incorporated it into my app.

Using the vive focus to play an app with the controllermanager sample scene, found in HTC Unity Input Plugin version 1.10.3, NOT ControllerManager_Test sample which is found in a different plugin/package, if you build an app using the controllermanager sample scene you will experience the following:

if you click the touchpad on the right controller a beam will shoot out, arch, and land on the floor indicating a teleport location. If you release the touchpad you will teleport. If you click the app/menu button a blue laser beam will shoot out.

These buttons do not work if you select the left hand controls in the Vive Focus settings before entering the app.

One of the recent updates to Vive Input Utility broke this.

Maybe the code for the recent update was not intended to apply to the controllermanager sample scene found in the previous input utility plugin, but in any case, it no longer works, and ControllerManager_Test, which you referenced, does not contain that useful template code. There is no teleport functionality in ControllerManager_Test. There is no laser pointer functionality when you click the app/menu button in ControllerManager_Test. 

But what this means is that people who use their left hand as their dominant hand, and choose that setting on their vive focus, will not enjoy a good experience if a developer happened to use the latest version of the template code made by HTC which is found controller manager sample.

Before the update the code in controller manage sample worked no matter which hand the vive focus chose as their dominant hand in the vive focus settings.

AFTER the update it stopped working.

Tony, FYI: I wrote a long post, which I edited several times for the sake of accuracy and clarity. The post was deleted after I edited the post about 10 times. I will have to write the post again below. This is a strange feature of this forum, not found on other forums, which makes it difficult to edit posts.

ControllerManager_Test is not the scene I am referring to. I am referring to ControllerManagerSample scene found in the sample scenes in the Input Utility Plugin version 1.10.3. It is the latest Input Utility Plugin. That scene contains useful template code that I used in my app. The code I am referring to allowed a user of an app with that scene to teleport around using the touchpad controller. If a user pressed the touchpad controller a bream would shoot out, arch, and then eventually land on the ground indicating a teleport location. Releasing the controller would teleport the user to that location. Also, the code provided for a laser beam which would shoot out when the user pressed the app/menu button. In the version 1.10.2 of the Input Utility Plugin this functionality worked no matter which dominant hand the user selected in their Vive Focus handedness settings. 

When the plugin is updated to 1.10.3 and the user selects the "left hand" as their dominant hand in the Vive Focus settings and the user tries to play an app with the ControllerManagerSample scene the teleport and laser functionality does not work.

Archived