Fix for good the HTC Vive Wireless adapter or let us all return it regardless of time of purchase.

Jason 1563813501

I respected HTC hardware for its quality and it delivered what was promised, UNTIL i bought the vive wireless adapter, like 99% of others that purchased this hardware i became a victim of lies!

I seen all the adverts before buying, things like "you wont even notice you are wireless" (in regards to image quality), yeah really ???

Plug in Dirt Rally in VR, wired it runs and looks so good, wireless is all big blocky pixels and stutters like hell, so clearly the marketting statement is a straight lie (fraud!), why did they not mention:

1) it has a fault that eats any cpu for breakfast.

2) that you cannot ss games like wired, not even close! Some like pavlov must leave it at 100%.

3) that even Steam Vr home stutters and looks so ugly, and its the main interface!

The list goes on and on......

They should have been honest and state something like:

"Its very new concept and its far from perfect, please support us and we will improve it so to make it a good product, in time"

Instead we were promised things that they knew they could not deliver.

I chose this as a Christmas present and im totally pissed off, the situation is WE ALL THROWN AWAY OUR CASH.

Now what, wait 1 year if ever is fixed, by then a new hmd from htc, maybe Vive 2 will come out and then what, if HTC fails to deliver what they promised i will not buy anything from htc anymore, i will completely loose my faith in them, i still have 1% hope remaining.

My case is clear, they said you pay us £££ for the wireless adapter and we will deliver a product that will make u think u still wired in regards to graphic quality, clearly its a big lie, no excuses accepted, only thing they can still do is "WORK ON IT NOW AND FIX IT SO TO DELIVER WHAT WAS PROMISED TO US", we not even informed weekly on updates on efforts to solve a faulty product.

In my case i could not even take time off to test it until about 10 days after purchase and spend another week trying to get a suposed finished good product to work as it should, but as all others, its of no use, its not good if it works well for 1 person and bad for 25, lots of issues, it is a faulty product or its not well done or both.

My suggestion:

Lets unite and contact HTC as a group, demand from them what they promised or return us our cash back in full, if not we can get a lawyer together, i offer myself to be the one to contact them via phone and email to arrange.

They stated what they did and they did not comply, we cannot let manufacturers treat us like that with no consequences.

If you agree, please state in u r msg as the first words "i agree", if we get enough support (we should since there are tons of victims here like myself) i will push it so they fix it or if they dont we get our cash back in full and if not well then the lawyer will decide our next action".

Action is required, no more complaints...

Just out of curiosity - PC specs ?

As a part of my favorite VR game community in it's discord server I know couple of players with Vive Pro + wireless and they have no issues. Also keep in mind that these very same players are in competitive league of that game so they would hardly accept such flaws. I'm just trying to say that there might be a solution to your problems, as the only known issues regarding the wireless is the incompatibility with AMD CPU's as far as I'm aware of 

Yes of course, mind you i know my PC is not new at all, but keep in mind that wired it kicks, i can run Pavloc at 200%ss with no issues and dirt rally looks and runs very good when wired, also keep in mind that so many people with i7 8700 with 1080ti are having same issues as me, my specs are:

I5 2500k intel cpu oc4.2ghz

Ddr3 16gb 1600 ram

Evga 1070 ftw

Original vive + vive wireless

Wireless adapter connected to pcie x1 as recommended, pcie is gen 2 but htc states it will work same on gen 1/2/3.

When wired i can run whatever i want in vr and can apply ss to all with no negative issues, now with wireless it seems pavlov is one of few games i can play well wireless, but only at 100% ss :(.

Dirt rally (revive) wired is awesome, wireless is unplayable, not because of performance, performance is good even wireless, its the image, it becomes unsteady (stutters), blocky pixels switch on/off constantly, rrrrr...

I got the wireless adapter in pcie x1 (gen2), it works good, have not tried other pcie slots (x4/x8) since i really think its useless to try, many have tried that to same result.....

My issue is not rare with the wireless as u sure know, people with powerful new pc and vga are also suffering from this.

To conclude this is what i did:

"I contacted htc tech support and asked them: 'if i get a new i9 most powerful cpu and an rtx2080ti and 32gb of fast ddr4 ram, will i be able to run the wireless adapter with games with good result, yes or no?', they should reply a 'yes' if wireless hardware is well made why would they ssy anything else than 'yes', if after that big expense from my part i still have same issues, i think that will be the end of htc for me, its a shame cause vive hmds are the best but i wont support a brand that produces hardware that only works on 5% of cases, will see what happens.."

Thanks for trying to help a fraustrated person like me hehe :)

You better hear what official support has to say about it. I am no expert but my two cents here is that CPU and RAM might be holding you back.  If you look at the wireless page on the bottom there's a minimum requirements and where it says i5-4th generation. Trust me this thing is taxing on CPU not just GPU. Also you have more than enough RAM but at slow speed ... If you have a friend with better specs just go try it there. "also keep in mind that so many people with i7 8700 with 1080ti are having same issues as me" - do not trust anyone on the web" usually I am not getting into argument unless I know what I am talking. Issues sure , lots of issues are resolved by software fixes and lots of issues are caused by the mixture of software that may affect the hardware ie. GPU drivers , Steam updates , even Vive updates ... my point is that I guarantee for a couple of friends with wireless and Vive Pro (which is more demanding)  have a more than enough to play competitive shooter in VR.  So, best thing to do first is to go to a friend with better CPU and faster RAM and see how it goes. 

Well this comming Monday my friend will get the Original vive (same as i have). but he has bought a new powerful PC, I will take my wireless there and install, lets see how it plays out.

I will send another msg here to let you know the result (also to help others looking for a solution) on Tuesday.

Well yes i know you are correct, cant listen to many people in internet, they might not know how to troubleshoot properly, Im no genius of any kind but at least I am into computers since Commodore Vic20 ;), I programmed back then and also worked in I.T. Support, of course nothing of that is helping me now ;)

I will test on Monday, I do really hope his system works well with vive wireless, if not I will be relactant to spend £2500-£3000 on a new MB/CPU/RAM/VGA, but if his system works well with it I go for it, anyways I know I need an update regadless of VR or not.

Just one note, yes HTC recommends a higher CPU as min, and we all know the having the min specs for anything is not good news, and mine is under, so well, but also note that following fact, if I was wired I would not need any hardware upgrades, yes it will be better but not required since i can play all VR titles very well, so this brings me  the question i read elsewhere "the wireless adapter should not load the CPU so much in any case, but it does, its not my VGA i know that, i tested, its the CPU, maybe there is more to it yes, but the adapter is not suppose to tax CPU like that, unless there are conflicts that I am not aware.

I will test on Monday, as for me now I have to put it back to wired ;(, with my current setup there is no solution, i dont mind playing Pavlov at 100%ss instead of 180/200, but not being able to play Dirt Rally (see blocky pixels/stutters)  in VR Wireless is what finally has pushed me to remove it, hopefully my friends PC will run good bringing some relief to me, if not I will just sell it ;(

I will report back, and many thanks for your help, I apriciate it! have a nice day.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread - but it appears we never heard back from the OP. I too was having some doubts - I wrote them here: 

- another member said it was because I bought a dell. So I am ready to test again with an Alienware Aurora R9  - I will update. 

• 5 months later...

I have a brand new build MSI  Z490-A PRO Maxed out on Ram with Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC DDR6 8GB GPU, 1TB SSD Drive, 650W High Power 80 PLUS Gold PSU, When I first fired up wireless, it worked great for a day or two.  My personal opinion is that it gets to hot.  The intermittent integrity afterword, with no updates etc has been horrible.  I really believe something gets to hot and after initial meltdown, it works or doesnt depending on a contact somewhere.  This is in two units I bought, two different computers (One being a Dell i-9 G5) and with every one elses issues, there is definately some Quality issues going on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Vive Wireless adapter for over a year.  With my Vive Pro and current high-end PC (i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32Gb 3000 ram) it is still too much of a cpu-hog for any of my flight sims,.  So for now, like my OG Cosmos, it's back in its box and I sooo wish I never bought these.  I'd give them away for free but I cannot think of anyone I dislike enough to pass them onto, lol!

I actually get better results with my Oculus Quest wireless w/Virtual Desktop.  Funny/sad because I paid ~ the same (actually maybe a little less) for my Quest that I did for the vive wireless adapter, lol!