Getting Started with Unity and Wave SDK (including using the VIU plugin!)

dario

Please consider using the VIU plugin to save you from managing different code bases for each platform!

It let's you support e.g. Vive(or Rift) and switch to mobile platforms (like WaveSDK) by simply changing the build target!

More information in our developer blog (getting started entry):

https://community.viveport.com/t5/Developer-Blog/bg-p/devblog

• 1 month later...

Has anyone authored a pros/cons of leveraging this approach? Performance issues? Every abstraction layer always comes with a price, I'm just curious of what the considerations are? For instance, will VIU continue to be updated to support Vive Cosmos as well?

Yes, VIU will be supporting future devices. As a  open source project on Github there shouldn't be concern over long term support,  As for performance, we did performance tests early on with no degradation of performance, it's essentially wrapping the underlying SDKs (e..g Wave SDK, Unity XR APIs, SteamVR  Unity  plugin) as you would likely do when using the SDKs directly. 

We just opened a dedicated forum for VIU - so please post questions here:

https://community.viveport.com/t5/Vive-Input-Utility/gp-p/ViveInputUtility

• 2 months later...

Hi ,

We Just got our Vive focus and would be really grateful if you could answer a couple of questions about getting unity apps working on the Vive Focus.

1, What version of Unity should we be building on - currently installed 5.6.3p3 - is this the best or should we go to higher version

2. How do we configure / connect get "Build and Run to work from Unity to the focus via a USB - do we turn on USB and turn off Wifi on the Focus in settings ? 

• 1 month later...

I made a quick start video for VIU a while ago: 

I have 2 follow up videos recorded, I just haven't taked the time to edit and upload them yet.

I've been using VIU in production for the past 2 years on multiple projects. Speaking from experience they've been very responsive with code maintainence issues, and I have no reservations about using their sdk going forward.