Display web browser full screen in Vive

lucasbuck

Is there a way to display Netflix and streaming content full screen on the Vive? So whatever my laptop show is sent directly to the Vive? So far I can only figure out how to do it so that it shows my desktop view in a window on the Vive, I want it to be full screen.

There is not yet a VR native interface for platforms like Netflix and other streaming services. You can only adopt the content into desktop VR by basically piping that window into your virtual environment. Three apps that allow you to do this are Bigscreen, Virtual Desktop, and OVRDrop. OVRDrop is special in the sense that it allows you to composite any 2D window into any SteamVR session but it may not be what you're looking for. 

Some pages have WebXR integration which will allow for a VR native experience but we're still in the early days of WebXR.

Thank you for the reply. I have Bigscreen, but from what I can tell it just lets you simulate sitting on a couch or theater and watching a screen. I just want if my laptop is showing something in full screen to display the exact same thing on the Vive. I'm not worried about tracking or anything. So this isn't possible?

, Check out OVRDrop and Virtual Desktop - they give you more ability to alter how the feed is displayed whereas Bigscreen is limited to specific pre-built environments (hence why I've never found a use-case for it personally). In any case, all of these solutions just reproject 2D windows into a 3D environment and by no means a native 3D/VR UI/UX which we'll assumedly see as adaptation becomes more widespread. 

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a way to display content from the PC that does not anchor the feed in space. 

My final goal is to be able to "walk in a room" of a 3D dev software bu parenting a 3D camera to the VIVE. It seems that all the solutions about give you quite a few option of how to display but they are all anchored in space. 

Any ideas? 

@Tektolness Like a HUD that stays static in your FOV? I'm not aware of any tools that can accomplish this - every tool I know spawns windows in volumetric space. I'm sure you could probably use SteamVR's overlay system to craft a custom overlay that does this but I'm unfortunately not aware of any released solutions that do this.

I think the technical term for this would be picture in picture.

• 4 weeks later...

@Tektolness - Hey, good news. I was actually wrong about this. In the latest versions of OVRDrop, you can achieve this with any type of window/feed by setting the option in the bottom lefthand corner (highlighted in yellow) to "screen". I played around with this for a few hours tonight and it works great 🙂 You use the sliders above it to adjust for the position and size. If you're an end user - I would wholeheartedly recommend this option. If you're a developer and are trying to integrate this natively, I'm not quite sure how they accomplished this but it shows it can be done within Unity.

image.thumb.png.713e4860bc632651f942277ebc1b212b.png