Double Vision In Tron Mode

Greggu99

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a defective unit or a malfunctioning headset. There are lots of people on reddit complaining about this. It's probably another design flaw like headphones. It's impossible so many peope got dfective units. I would suggest you check out the dual camera stereo passthrough mode and see it for yourself before reaching a conclusions, and maybe let us know whether there's a fix possible. I believe it's a design flaw. Maybe it can be corrected by adjusting the passthrough image in one eye digitally through software, as lenses themselves can't be moved.

I just bought my headset and have this issue. The left camera image seems to be higher than the right and they dont align properly which really hurts my eyes and cause discomfort. On the original Vive, the camera was so useful, but it's pretty much useless for me on the Pro.

Did you ever find a solution or see if a replacement headset helped? 

• 3 months later...

I'd like to know about this too.

After months of hating the view in tron mode i finally realised what was wrong.

my left camara is misaligned too far left. So with the right eye, the virtual controller aligns ok with the room view controller, but with the left the room view controller is to the right of the virtual controller.

It always gave me a cross eyed feeling, and i used to use tron mode all the time with my original vive, but with the vive pro i never use it. 

there doesn't seem to be a software or firmware adjustment for it.

update,

I had another look at how my cameras are displaying the images. It seems the left camera is aligned too low but correct left to right. And the left camera is aligned the correct height but too far to the left.

After looking at teardown vids showing how these are constructed, it looks like the camera modules are snap fitted into a rigid metal housing. there may be room for error in how well they fit into the housing. In any case there is no built in adjustment in hardware to tweak the alignment or calibrate them, and nothing in software to do it.

Its just pot luck if they fit perfectly or not.

I don't see how these cameras could be used for anything serious in the future like hand presence etc.

HTC needs to come up with a software calibration fix for this.

Ive seen some really old posts about this and the radio silence from HTC really breaks my confidence in any future HTC products. I don't want to rely on luck for any future purchase, and i really hate the hassle of returns and trying to convince someone your cameras aren't perfectly aligned (needs to be perfect)

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

After dealing with htc support a hot fix was released on steam vr which support directed me to. This fixed the issue. Hooray! They then removed the update and refuse to admit there was a known issue. V1527117754 - 6/21/2018 hotfix screen shot sent my htc vive support attached.

1589102540400_Steam Hotfix.png

@Greggu99 - Valve manages SteamVR, not HTC. If an issue happens with the SteamVR - we basically reach out to Valve and work with them to try and get a fix in the release pipeline - we can't "remove updates", we don't control that release pipeline whatsoever.

The hotfix you're specifically referencing was an older branch that Valve hosted after they rolled out their skeletal modeling system coinciding with the shipping of knuckles EV2. In a nutshell, they rolled out the update and it broke alot of controller mapping, especially when it came to Vive trackers. A ton of Vive tracker projects were completely broken and this hotfix was released specifically to give developers  more time to update their projects to be compatible with the new input system while allowing end-users (especially enterprise/arcade customers) the ability to have their content continue to work in the short-term. The "hotfix" branch was eventually removed after some months because it was too divergent from the main branch and because the new input system was the new law of the land. To my knowledge this "hotfix" had nothing to do with Vive Pro's cameras and was entirely about the input system.