Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Same issue as you all... choppy performance.. SteamVR reports tons of reprojection occuring. I am almost at my wits end.. and will try reloading Windows 10 64 bit from scratch this weekend before giving up and going back to wired and returning the wireless adapter.

CPU: i5 6600K

MB: ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 

GPU: Nvidia Gtx1070

Tried all slots, removed every program from Windows I could.. got all bars in the wireless app.. yet I drop frames. Ugh! 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was finally able to resolve the issue on my end. It's not going to be the solution you want to hear, but I wanted to share. Again, these were all brand new parts except the GPU:

ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac

Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.6GHz

G.SKILL 16GB DDR4 3000MHz

EVGA GTX 1070 SC

Clean Win10 install on SSD

I tried every since PCIe slot, and the issue was the same. Works perfect when wired, choppy mess when on wireless. CPU and GPU both around 50% utilization. Bought a second wireless adapter, still the same issue. Finally I decided to try a second new motherboard, and went with the ASUS ROG Maximus X Code. Installed the wireless adapter in PCIEX1_2 (just below the GPU), and everything works beautifully. No tinkering, no BIOS changes, just installed the wireless software and everything works perfect. It truly is a beautiful solution once it actually works. I've put in 2-3 hours a day since I installed it on Tuesday (3 days ago), and haven't had a single problem. 

TLDR; Changed out my already brand-new motherboard for the ASUS ROG Maximus X Code, and now it works seamlessly.

Has everyone run a benchmark test? If the motherboard was really the problem, the GPU performance was probably not great either. This might be a way to tell if that's the issue (though it could also be the power supply as well.)

Thank you,

-John C

I installed the new update for Vive Wireless and it is now MUCH improved and working probably exactly as it should be. I tried loading up a few games and I think I am a happy Viver again. I'm thinking it must have been a conflict between drivers, hardware, etc... that the newest update fixes.. as I tried EVERYTHING short of replacing hardware. And yeah, mine pegged the VR READY status too, lol! 

Anyway.. good luck peeps.. Hopefully the new update fixes your issues or the next one will. What was so frustrating for me was, even people with extremely new systems had this issue.. so you took a risk buying your way out of it. I just hope my issues with wireless are behind me, as I didn't play long and still need to hook back up the old Vive connector box so I can use the phone connection. But I wanted to spread the word that after the new update to VIve Wireless.. I was able to play for awhile with no real issues. So don't loose hope..

My situation is a little different. I'm pretty much running the minimum recommended specs and it works with almost all the games I've tried (even robo recall runs well). But I'm still get noticeable pixelation/choppiness on a couple of games.

Problems:

Arizona sunshine, the final level is where it's the pixels are the worst, but all the other levels and the dlc runs seems to run ok (not perfect but acceptable).

Contagion VR: Less pixelated than the last level of arizona sunshine but the frame rate take a huge hit.

The poisoner: I thought it wouldn't have a problem since the game is only like 10 min long but the opening black and white intro its pixelated and stutters pretty bad. Once the game starts it's not as bad but noticable. But still there is only one room in the game.

Games that worked for me:

Robo recall/robo revive (I was surprised!)

Beatsaber

Gorn

Smash party

Zomday

Budget cuts demo

Dead end 2

Superhot vr

Here are my specs.

Windows 10 pro

CPU: FX-8350 8 core@4.0 ghz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb

RAM: Kingston pc1600 16gb

If I upgrade the cpu will I be able to run the games I'm having trouble with?

I was in wireless VR with the desktop showing and I noticed the Vive Wireless app had a circle with a I on it. Taking off the headset, I think I right clicked on the circled I and it said an update was available. I closed out of VR, etc.. and then ran it. Don't know if you need to close out, etc... but I did. After the update, I went right back in and it seems to be better.

Now the bad news. It does work better for me.. but now I got the condition where you lose tracking every 3 minutes or so for a split second (the whole screen goes grey). Still that is a lot better than what I had before.