Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will readily admit that I am at the bottom of the knowledge totam pole with regards to this issue, but it turns out that the solution for me was to remove the second of my $850 RTX2080 video cards..... a very bitter sweet solution.

Im another victim here :(.

I have a 2500k i5 1070ftw

Wired it runs butter smooth even with high ss, wireless kills performance too much, cant play dirt rally now (vive) all is blocky, if this is corrected a vive version 6 might be out.

Waste of my cash.......

I will disconnect wireless and go back to cables.... no options available ....

As someone wth a high end PC and a Vive Pro that is unusable with Vive Wireless due to jitter, I would appreciate it if Vive Support could at least give some examples of PC configs that we’re used for testing at Vive that are known to be good. At least that would help some of us determine what the cause might be.

Vive Pro

Clean Windows 10 Install

MSI Carbon AC Z370

Intel i7 8700

GTX 1080Ti

Corsair 3200 MHZ Ram

Feel free to shoot full of holes as I'm using observational references at this time.

I have an i7-7700K with 32GB RAM and have intermittent grey-outs while playing. I've been able to mitigate these by turning off my antivirus and firewall (both Microsoft Windows 10 default products). When I DO have grey outs the issue appears as a disconnect in SteamVR, not an issue with the general OS function or GPU function. My pet theory is the Intel WiGig pushes the CPU so hard any break in the timing, like the AV updating or scanning (priority issue?) will cause SteamVR to read that as an interruption of connection to the headset and disconnect temporarily. I really really wish Intel had made this thing work through a discrete GPU or at least allow us to offload the process to the built-in GPU on the CPU.

It's probably made worse by recent OS 'fixes' and new Intel microcode that mitigate the Spectre vulnerabilities discovered last year. Those fixes trash some performance use cases on Intel processors, and won't be re-worked into a less performance-trashy form in Windows 10 until March (or whenever it ended up getting pushed out till).

I'm going to try the wireless out on an i7-8700K next week and see if there's better performance for me.

Hello there... Here to share my experience, and hopefully help solve this issue for me and everyone else.

Vive Pro w/ Wireless (Duh)

Clean Windows 10 Install

ASUS WS Z390 PRO

Intel i9 9900K

RTX 2080 Ti

32 GB Corsair 3000 MHZ Ram

Steam VR beta or not (no changes)

I built this rig this week-end, and it replaces an older 4790K/1080 setup that was working OK w/ wireless.

This new PC munches trough benchmarks and works as expected in pancake mode, but offer very poor performance in Wireless VR. It works, and is useable in certain titles (Beat saber for instance), but even with very low SS (1.0 and down) there is still reprojection and missed frames happening, except in Steam Home VR, where I can just crank the SS to 5.0 with no adverse effect whatsoever(but no visual indication of any change either so it may be a special case and be immune to config changes, I don't know).

Other titles, namely Fallout 4 VR, is just laggy, jittery, and nausea inducing. Worst offender seems to be Subnautica though, which I now have to play at 0.2 SS to get 90 FPS...  

I have not yet tested to connect the Vive pro to this machine with the original cables (but I might just to rule out any possible other issue). I have a clear line of sight between the WiGig emitter and my Vive pro, the signal is maxed and I have seldom witnessed a signal lost grey/blueish screen. Just pixellation galore and severe glitches with lateral movement and stuff.

After reading on the subject, I suspect the issue is a mix of flaky software and a WiGig PCIe adapter that is particularly finnicky about the slot you put it in. My motherboard only has one PCIe x4 slot, that can be set to work at either x2 or x4 speed but that shares some lanes with something else on the mobo, maybe an USB3.1 connection, not sure... Anyways, both config have the same effect.

Someone that knows those things better than I do tell me if it's worthwhile to try and put the WiGig adapter in a x16 slot. One can work at x16 and is the recommended choice for 2 way SLI, and the other one not blocked by the GPU is a x8 speed max.

Guys, I do not understand why everyone use a CPU with a K index for a gaming computer? Why do you need graphics integrated into the CPU?

in a few hours (need to pick up the Steam controller from the child :) ) I will test my configuration with the Subnautica. Fallout4VR and SkyrimVR I have already tested, see above.

The K series, in addition to the integrated graphics, which is obviously not the point in a gaming rig, is more overclocker friendly and offers already the highest clock speed out of the box.

For gaming, single core w/ a high frequency is still king. Grandted it doesn't make a LOT of financial sense, but to be honest, in building that rig, I wanted the best money could get me... Unfortunately, in this case, it appears this was a very unwise decision, and didn't yield the expected result as my gaming focus is VR... Doh'