Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wireless Card works well in PCIEX4 slot. The image in the helmet is the same as with a wired connection. Problem only with Fallout4VR. And the problems are not permanent, then they are, they are not. While I understand what's the matter. I will try to rearrange the card later, thanks.

wrote:

Common things you can try:

-Disable camera

-Reduce supersamply

-Enable motion smoothing

If none of these have helped even after you swapped slots, we'll try to dive deeper.

What version of SteamVR are you running?

Thanks,

-John C

> Common things you can try:
Tried, even to install windows from scratch. Moved the adapter to all slots. Reduced supersampling to 20. The camera was on and off. Installed Steam VR the beta version and the normal version. I even upgraded my hardware.

I again got to the computer and continue to test Wireless adapter.

The following four videos show my CPU load with Wireless adapter, SteamVR and two Games using various settings SuperSampling. 

(~90FPS)

(~45FPS)

(~90FPS)

(~90FPS)

Image in Helmet is Fine when SS set to 200%. No pixelization. No jumps, everything is smooth. Overall, with my new hardware configuration, the wireless adapter works satisfactorily. No CPU overload. Nearby (~ 1 meter) with the antenna of the Wireless Adapter installed Apple WiFi router 2.4/5GHz. The router does not interfere with the operation of the adapter. 

Here is the new computer configuration:

CPU i7-7820X

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING

RAM 32Gb Quad Channel

MSI 1080Ti

HTC Vive

Windows10 64bit

If you have questions - happy to be responsible as possible. I wish the adapter didn't cause you any problems.

I do not work in VIVE and it is not advertising :)

On your advice I insert Wigig card to PCIEX16/X8_2 and PCIEX8/X1_3. Nothing changes. Better not, worse not, absolutely the same works. Left in the bottom slot PCIEX8/X1_3, since it has the desired mode of operation x1. 

I think I have resolved my particular issue and I have  to thank for that.

I watched one of your videos and I noticed you were using a VR tool that I'd not seen before, which was fpsVR, so I thought I'd buy it and give it a go to see if it helped.

The first time I looked at it with a running game I saw the potential issue.

Even though I was running SteamVR with the default multiplier of 100% (under settings, application), I was also running that with a SS of 2.0 (which I'd set with AdvancedSettings quite a few months ago, before I received my wireless adapter), which wasn't obvious at all using the standard VR interfaces. 

I dropped my SS down to 1.8 and I immediately saw an improvement, i.e. no more stutter! 

The quality didn't drop as much as I thought either, which is good, so I've dropped it down to 100% with 1.6, and will monitor for a few days before going back to 1.8. Fingers crossed but others may want to check their combined SS and multiplier settings.

Thanks  !

Unfortunately, no. It doesn't seem to be any one issue, but a collection of issues. Solutions that work for one user, don't work for another. 

So far, the main things to try are:
-Update your BIOS fully
-Make sure your BIOS has your PCIe slots set to 3.0
-Move your wireless card as close to the CPU as you can
-Reduce super-sampling

-Disable the camera

-Enable motion smoothing

In a few cases, we've found that replacing the motherboard resolves the issue (bad hardware) but obviously, that's more of a last resort.

Let me know if I missed anything that's worked for you guys.

Thanks,

-John C